HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
Hate to be a pessimist, but would be willing to bet that there will still be a big hole at the top of King Street this time next year. Any takers?
I posted this back in January - several months later and no activity on the site and nothing in the media. Unfortunately, it appears that we will be looking at that hole for a while.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 2:03 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Couple skyline shots from the West Side today:

Source: My photos

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 3:20 PM

Project lists and status heading into the summer:

Lower West has numerous townhouse developments in various stages on Prince Street, Riverview Drive, and Sea Street at Bay Shore Beach.

JDI is hoping to begin construction on its wastewater plant facility. I believe the retaining wall they are building is related to this project.

I'm not sure what the timeline is to upgrade the Dever Road rail facility but I suspect it'll be a face-paced project. Especially in light of Hapag-Lloyd announcing an additional line of service to the port. I've heard rumblings that trains in Maine are already gearing up for an increase in traffic.

On the topic of rail, the expanded rail yard behind the port seems to be progressing.

There is a decent-sized apartment building going up in Millidgeville off of Boars Head Road. Wasn't able to get a picture but it's a lot bigger than I expected.

The huge apartment complex proposal for 225 units on the hill behind it remains on the market.

The first of two buildings at the Sea Bird Suites has topped out. The foundation has already been poured for the second.

Excavation appears complete for the 6-storey apartment buildings behind Tipsy Tomato however I haven't seen any signs of activity since. The same case can be made for Arlington Place off of University Avenue.

The Shannex addition structure practically flew up and the structure is complete. On the subject of care homes, haven't heard anything about Ethos Ridge. Council put a 5-year clause on the site which would allow them to repeal the rezoning if the development is not completed within five years.

We should see the first building go up at Technology Drive this summer. Landscaping for the entire site has been going on for a couple of months now. The first building will have 75 units. IIRC they are proposing a total of 6 buildings.

As Fischbob pointed out, rumblings of development at the old forum location on Man Street North.

The siding for the new apartment building on Main Street is finally being put on. I remember this project first broke ground in March 2020.

Uptown has numerous projects in numerous stages...

Market slip is progressing with the city awarding contracts just the other week. Fundy Quay's first building is planned for July. Let's hope we see it!

Container Village is taking shape right now, planned opening date of early June. A number of interesting commercial tenants have already been announced.

No sign of activity at 166 Leinster despite their timeline of starting in April.

Townhouse development at Queen Square is supposed to start this summer.

Steepleview in Waterloo Village is suppose to kit off this summer. Excavation took place last fall.

and... then there is 99 King. I hope we see something. It looks like the Wentworth is full so hopefully, Wilbur has full focus on the project. I guess time will tell.

The complex off of Heather Way is progressing with Phase 2. I suspect they'll move onto Phase 3 as soon as necessary.

Saint John could be on the hook for an expanded LNG facility. Talks are under way between the federal government and Repsol.

Thats all I can think of...

Last edited by ColSJ; May 11, 2022 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post

Great summary thanks. I'm hoping I can personally get one more project on the board here

I can confirm the four Queen Sq S townhouses are going ahead this summer. Three of them are listed on Remax already: one of the two middle ones, the southernmost, and the northernmost on the square. Not sure if the 4th sold already or if the owner is keeping it. Keep an eye in this area, more is coming.

I'll have to drive over west. I haven't heard a peep about Riverview Drive since PAC approved it, and I had no idea the Sea St townhouses were underway.

Some infra updates, all supposed to happen this summer.

Harbour Passage extension to Tin Can Beach is funded and surveyed. Excellent terminus point. 300m

Harbour Passage 'extension' from where the sidewalk ends on the west side of Reversing Falls to Riverview Dr is funded. I'm a little leery of creating another orphaned section (joining Bentley St, Market Place, East side of Reversing Falls Bridge) but hopefully this will be extended down both Fallsview to the bridge, and Riverview to the overpass and Market Place, in the years to come. 400m

Street reconstruction

1.Wentworth from Elliott to Orange (started)

2. Germain from St. James to LCL
LCL from Germain to Charlotte
Charlotte from LCL to St James
St James from Charlotte to Germain

This will possibly entail opening Germain up to Lower Cove Loop and adding sidewalk on LCL between the foot of Prince William and the foot of Canterbury.

2. Mecklenburg from Carmarthen to Crown, completing the street.

3. Britain from Wentworth to Pitt
Pitt from St. James to Broad

4. Charlotte from Trinity Church to Princess including burying some power lines

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 7:14 PM

I don't have time to read the details right now but the mixed use Fairville Boulevard project is a two-phase 6 storey undertaking to be named Aquarius Towers, which I love as a name.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 9:58 PM

Drawing for the Phase 1 of Aquarius Towers on Fairville Boulevard. First building is 6 storeys, second is 5. Commercial space on bottom floor of the first building.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Project lists and status heading into the summer:

Lower West has numerous townhouse developments in various stages on Prince Street, Riverview Drive, and Sea Street at Bay Shore Beach.

JDI is hoping to begin construction on its wastewater plant facility. I believe the retaining wall they are building is related to this project.

I'm not sure what the timeline is to upgrade the Dever Road rail facility but I suspect it'll be a face-paced project. Especially in light of Hapag-Lloyd announcing an additional line of service to the port. I've heard rumblings that trains in Maine are already gearing up for an increase in traffic.

On the topic of rail, the expanded rail yard behind the port seems to be progressing.

There is a decent-sized apartment building going up in Millidgeville off of Boars Head Road. Wasn't able to get a picture but it's a lot bigger than I expected.

The huge apartment complex proposal for 225 units on the hill behind it remains on the market.

The first of two buildings at the Sea Bird Suites has topped out. The foundation has already been poured for the second.

Excavation appears complete for the 6-storey apartment buildings behind Tipsy Tomato however I haven't seen any signs of activity since. The same case can be made for Arlington Place off of University Avenue.

The Shannex addition structure practically flew up and the structure is complete. On the subject of care homes, haven't heard anything about Ethos Ridge. Council put a 5-year clause on the site which would allow them to repeal the rezoning if the development is not completed within five years.

We should see the first building go up at Technology Drive this summer. Landscaping for the entire site has been going on for a couple of months now. The first building will have 75 units. IIRC they are proposing a total of 6 buildings.

As Fischbob pointed out, rumblings of development at the old forum location on Man Street North.

The siding for the new apartment building on Main Street is finally being put on. I remember this project first broke ground in March 2020.

Uptown has numerous projects in numerous stages...

Market slip is progressing with the city awarding contracts just the other week. Fundy Quay's first building is planned for July. Let's hope we see it!

Container Village is taking shape right now, planned opening date of early June. A number of interesting commercial tenants have already been announced.

No sign of activity at 166 Leinster despite their timeline of starting in April.

Townhouse development at Queen Square is supposed to start this summer.

Steepleview in Waterloo Village is suppose to kit off this summer. Excavation took place last fall.

and... then there is 99 King. I hope we see something. It looks like the Wentworth is full so hopefully, Wilbur has full focus on the project. I guess time will tell.

The complex off of Heather Way is progressing with Phase 2. I suspect they'll move onto Phase 3 as soon as necessary.

Saint John could be on the hook for an expanded LNG facility. Talks are under way between the federal government and Repsol.

Excited to see how projects start progressing!
It will be nice to see first building activity at the Fundy Quay site.

What's the address of the old forum location?

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:55 PM

Address is at the intersection of Main Street North and Harvey Street. ^^

I see the JDI water treatment plant project is now on CCD. I took a drive by the Dever Road rail facility and it looks like construction is well underway.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 8:50 PM

I see ARC’s plan for a new nuclear power plant is up on CCD. The project’s estimated value is $922,800,000. The posts says a construction firm will be chosen until either 2024 or 2025. That’s a huge construction project.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 4:00 PM

Funding announcement for the port in about 30 minutes. Our MP a couple MLAs and the federal minister of transportation will be there so it’s probably going to be a big one.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Funding announcement for the port in about 30 minutes. Our MP a couple MLAs and the federal minister of transportation will be there so it’s probably going to be a big one.
And a big one it was...

$42.32 million to upgrade rail terminals in Saint John and McAdam from the federal government. This funding is contributed by the federal government and JDI.

$21 million to the Saint John Port Authority to increase cargo laydown capacity to enhance the crane capabilities of the terminal and add to allow wheeled cargo capabilities. Port Saint John will be contributing $4.2 million.

And the province will be chipping in an additional $16.8 million.

I've attached CP Rail's press release if you wish to read through some additional points they make.

https://www.cpr.ca/en/media/followin...uthern-railway

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 7:12 PM

Quote:
And a big one it was...

$42.32 million to upgrade rail terminals in Saint John and McAdam from the federal government. This funding is contributed by the federal government and JDI.

$21 million to the Saint John Port Authority to increase cargo laydown capacity to enhance the crane capabilities of the terminal and add to allow wheeled cargo capabilities. Port Saint John will be contributing $4.2 million.

And the province will be chipping in an additional $16.8 million.

I've attached CP Rail's press release if you wish to read through some additional points they make.

https://www.cpr.ca/en/media/followin...uthern-railway
That's exciting! I've noticed that the port expansion seems to be going 24x7. Drove by around 10pm last night and saw a few excavators moving dirt around.

I imagine we'll seen another 2 cranes minimum on the new dock that's being completed.
I guess that means the green tarped building things will be pulled down soon too.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
That's exciting! I've noticed that the port expansion seems to be going 24x7. Drove by around 10pm last night and saw a few excavators moving dirt around.

I imagine we'll seen another 2 cranes minimum on the new dock that's being completed.
I guess that means the green tarped building things will be pulled down soon too.
The green shed is indeed coming down soon (CBC confirmed this in their article when the tarp was ripping off).

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6360318

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 8:06 PM

Jives with what I posted in January... just waiting on the other shoe to drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Apparently we should expect a major Port announcement by August and could realistically have seven cranes by 2024: 3 where the work is ongoing and an additional 2 on the AIM site. Apparently it's an open secret that AIM will be relocating to an industrial park. Which one, IDK, but likely one of the east side pair due to rail access.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Jives with what I posted in January... just waiting on the other shoe to drop.
This might be me talking out of line. But with AIM leaving the port, does living in lower west increase in appeal? I've heard from people that live that that AIM can be quite disruptive with random explosions and such. I'd be curious if it sparks any new plans for lower west.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 12:33 PM

Not out of line at all. Definitely. Everyone expects (and honestly hardly notices) noise and industry and occasionally weird smells or dust etc from the heavy and medium industry on the west side, but AIM is above and beyond West Siders' level of tolerance. It's on fire regularly, constant explosions, and aesthetically doesn't look like a functioning port.

God forbid any sewage get in the harbour, but ground-up paint and chemical residue on cars, old propane tanks, batteries, brake dust, etc... that's kosher.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 6:57 PM

Small scale residential update:

The (11?) townhouses on Riverview Drive over west are progressing. I believe 4 are framed in, but it may have only been three. I didn't get a good look to see if the others have foundations poured yet.

The flat-over-flat triplex at 83 Mecklenburg is also finally being renovated. Really gorgeous building inside, tons of woodwork, lots of light. I briefly owned it but was intimidated by the foundation. Good luck to the owner, they're gonna need it.

I stopped in at 22 Paddock to see how that was coming last week and it has been totally gutted, new windows in, etc. Should make a nice addition to the limited and unlikely-to-grow SFH stock uptown.

While the owners of the old Saint John the Baptist church on Broad and Carmarthen aren't going ahead with their climbing gym, they are plinking away at the small house directly behind the church. Presumably just cleaning it up for sale.

Next door at 54 Broad, the old rectory is also a somewhat active site. Should be five units, IIRC.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 7:16 PM

Any thoughts on the Main Street proposal?

Personally it's a little excessive regarding bike lanes. I dimly remember them trying something similar on Main a decade ago that was only (and rarely) used by motorized wheelchairs and skateboarders, so lanes on both sides is definitely overkill. I actually like the stop light at the Red Rose Tea ramp (mega blind spot, I've almost been hit while driving by people both running the yield and coming over the overpass at 90) and the alterations to the Station Street ramp, but a lot of the other stuff is over the top. The ramp from Paradise Row doesn't need this- pedestrian and bike crossings before the stop sign?

I don't know if it needs to be 'improved' on both sides, but it seems like the city's main source for input to date is cyclists, who obviously want it. It also basically parallels Harbour Passage the whole length and doesn't really lengthen the 'AT' network. Could a lot of this money be better spent on extending the corridor instead? The Metcalf and Simonds sections of bike lane are not frequently trafficked and go straight from the old north end to Harbour Passage already.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...anes-1.6471752

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Any thoughts on the Main Street proposal?

Personally it's a little excessive regarding bike lanes. I dimly remember them trying something similar on Main a decade ago that was only (and rarely) used by motorized wheelchairs and skateboarders, so lanes on both sides is definitely overkill. I actually like the stop light at the Red Rose Tea ramp (mega blind spot, I've almost been hit while driving by people both running the yield and coming over the overpass at 90) and the alterations to the Station Street ramp, but a lot of the other stuff is over the top. The ramp from Paradise Row doesn't need this- pedestrian and bike crossings before the stop sign?

I don't know if it needs to be 'improved' on both sides, but it seems like the city's main source for input to date is cyclists, who obviously want it. It also basically parallels Harbour Passage the whole length and doesn't really lengthen the 'AT' network. Could a lot of this money be better spent on extending the corridor instead? The Metcalf and Simonds sections of bike lane are not frequently trafficked and go straight from the old north end to Harbour Passage already.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...anes-1.6471752
I'm torn on the stoplight at red rose. My concern is traffic backing up onto the freeway which could be inconvenient.

On the whole, I think the proposal is great. I've walked home from Sea Dogs games from Harbour Station and crossing over the bridge doesn't feel that safe.

I also would hope that maybe this helps develop further along main street as it used to be. Overall I think it's a good idea.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
I'm torn on the stoplight at red rose. My concern is traffic backing up onto the freeway which could be inconvenient.

On the whole, I think the proposal is great. I've walked home from Sea Dogs games from Harbour Station and crossing over the bridge doesn't feel that safe.

I also would hope that maybe this helps develop further along main street as it used to be. Overall I think it's a good idea.
I think it's great, I wish similar improvements will eventually come to the other two viaducts that cross the same valley. I walk the Wall St overpass frequently as a resident of Mount Pleasant and while it is much better for me than Main St., it still lacks signals at all crossings for pedestrians and proper signage for other transportation means. People also drive far too fast coming off the highway onto Paradise Row, it needs to be redesigned to force people to slow to the 50 km/h limit before they get to Chateau SJ, rather than flying by at 80+ and not looking for pedestrians (I've almost been hit in crosswalks by inattentive drivers a number of times in the past year).

The traffic on all of those overpasses is minimal outside of rush hour (if you can even call it that), so I'm glad to see at least one of them getting an overhaul. City Road and Station Street would be a great candidates for a similar road diet, as they are critical links between East, Uptown, and North, as well as bringing people directly to one of our major community venues [TD Station] and to Harboru Passage. This Main Street project is a great starting point, I just wish people would be less critical of these changes. Road designs can never be perfect, nor perfectly accommodate every single use case, but we can at least continue to evolve them to meet the changing demands of the city and its usage patterns.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces