HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 2:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
haha! Marjorie Taylor-Greene et al. whooping it up.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 2:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Clockzilla is full of expiring seniors, which is its lifeblood. As long as the supply of seniors exists, it will spawn more clockzillians and missingsausagecityhallisms.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Yeah, no sidewalks is kind of a way to tell everyone the street must be shared. It's not incompatible at all with lots of kids playing in/near the street.
Exactly.

"Go play in traffic" or "If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball" are exactly what the kids these days need.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I admittedly laughed at this much more than I should have.

I'm sure the neighbourhood would love a re-enactment of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Saskatoon as the location of the Dawn of Man.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 2:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Memento mori?

Do kids even know how to read an analog clock face anymore?
Only a small percentage of these public clocks actually seem to tell the right time anyway.

A significant percentage for example don't seem to get changed for the spring forward-fall back thing, or if they do eventually it takes a while until someone notices and does it.

And that's when some of them are simply busted and have been stuck at the same time for years.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 2:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Exactly.

"Go play in traffic" or "If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball" are exactly what the kids these days need.
Well, that's actually the idea behind the "woonerf":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woonerf

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 3:16 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Our future Gen-Alpha who will have grown up not knowing how to read an analogue clock.

It will make as much sense as a rotary phone.
Reminds me of this scene from Idiocracy:

Video Link

Funny enough my toddler understands how to use the Fisher Price rotary playphone at his grandparents' from seeing them on youtube videos. Even landlines seem archaic now.

Last edited by O-tacular; Mar 21, 2022 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 3:21 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Clockzilla is full of expiring seniors, which is its lifeblood. As long as the supply of seniors exists, it will spawn more clockzillians and missingsausagecityhallisms.
For whom the bell tolls.

Video Link

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 4:55 PM

The Magna subdvision (and golf course) in Aurora. You can buy a house for $20m and still not be distinguishable from your neighbour's house. It appears that grey and white material was the only thing available because the world ran out of colours.

For these newish houses built on a treeless plot of land, I do wonder when or if an owner decides to plant trees close to the house to add warmth. Do they do it right away and play the long game, assuming they'll be there for decades or just not bother because it'll take too long to see the results? Mind you, they could also just hire a landscaping company to put in a shrub garden and add some small trees to get quick results for adding some flavour to the landscape.

https://www.priceypads.com/30000-sq-...or-23m-photos/

https://www.priceypads.com/30000-sq-...or-23m-photos/

https://mediatours.ca/property/10-no...r-lane-aurora/

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 5:08 PM

what is interesting to me about that subdivision is that it has been there for years without many houses getting built - maybe 1 every other year or so. Then suddenly 3-4 years ago they started building like 8 houses all at once. it's now fully built out. If you look at google maps, of the 36 lots, 6 of them are under construction.

It was also supposed to be a larger subdivision originally.. but the part closer to Wellington was ripped up and turned into smaller houses (though still quite large). Clearly there wasn't enough of a market for mega-mansions in Aurora.

Callaway Court in Vaughan was also originally supposed to be home to similar mega-homes, but only one got built. Now they are slowly building only "regular" mansions instead on lots half the size.

This area of Vaughan also has some stunners:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.86755.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 5:50 PM

Architectural controls to keep butt ugly as a design feature. A number of high end subdivisions are like that here.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 6:38 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Architectural controls to keep butt ugly as a design feature. A number of high end subdivisions are like that here.
It looks like they took 'control' to the extreme. There appears to be no variety whatsoever.

Usually controls are like "these are the colour palettes you can use"

Not THIS is the only one

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
It looks like they took 'control' to the extreme. There appears to be no variety whatsoever.

Usually controls are like "these are the colour palettes you can use"

Not THIS is the only one
Why does having way to much money to build an equally to big home equate to bad design. It seems to be the norm for Architects to build ugly for rich customers.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 8:15 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Why does having way to much money to build an equally to big home equate to bad design. It seems to be the norm for Architects to build ugly for rich customers.
Money does not equal class or good taste

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 11:29 PM

I appreciate that those megas in Vaughan have more differentiation than the Aurora examples. And interesting history. I'm not sure what other super rich people other than a handful of Magna execs would live in Aurora. Aurora is nice and not for those with light wallets, but it is very vanilla. There's not much going on there.

This mansion (albeit smaller ones) subdivision in Campbellville, Milton is as plain as you can get. Lack of landscaping, I guess due to being built on clear cut land. Driveway shapes are repititious. And it's the same style over and over again. Doesn't appear the same model is repeated next to each other but probably is somewhere along the street.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.48502.../data=!3m1!1e3

Would much rather be in mansion area like this one in Burlington where the styles differ. Well, if there quarry wasn't there.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.40330.../data=!3m1!1e3

This first one in Brampton I can appreciate that it's not repetitive, but, while the houses are a good size, they aren't much to look at. The second area in Brampton off of McVean is the biggest mansion subdivision I know of (you have to zoom out to see it all). I know a couple of people that live here. Not in mansions, but still good sized houses over 3,000 sf. Though for this area, too many of the houses, if not all, are brick. Not enough variation for me. There's a lot of Italians here. I feel like maybe those were the ones that traded off living in next door Woodbridge to get cheaper mini mansions in Brampton.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.78603.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.78222.../data=!3m1!1e3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
what is interesting to me about that subdivision is that it has been there for years without many houses getting built - maybe 1 every other year or so. Then suddenly 3-4 years ago they started building like 8 houses all at once. it's now fully built out. If you look at google maps, of the 36 lots, 6 of them are under construction.

It was also supposed to be a larger subdivision originally.. but the part closer to Wellington was ripped up and turned into smaller houses (though still quite large). Clearly there wasn't enough of a market for mega-mansions in Aurora.

Callaway Court in Vaughan was also originally supposed to be home to similar mega-homes, but only one got built. Now they are slowly building only "regular" mansions instead on lots half the size.

This area of Vaughan also has some stunners:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.86755.../data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited by megadude; May 19, 2022 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 11:48 PM

This neighbourhood in Blair, Ontario, amuses me. No trees in their backyard to blot out the view of the *real* rich neighbourhood right next door.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/43%...!4d-80.3853905

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 1:08 AM

Yeah, I always find those amusing myself. And sometimes you'll see a one off mansion somewhere on old farm land with no trees in sight and half a km away from their neighbour.

If my budget is say $5m for a mansion and I can get 6,000 sf on an empty plot of land or 5,000 on a mature lot, then I'll take the latter. Surroundings are important to me. For a lot of people, that doesn't matter. It's all about the house itself. I don't need to be completely immersed in trees like for some of those houses in your example where I might get pure sunlight for like three hours only, but I like the others that have some open space and trees.

Here's an example in rural Milton with a good contrast where on one side is an older house where they obviously saved some greenery before clearing the land for farming while on the other side it was all farmland except a small square with like five trees and someone built a newer house on it, which replaced an old bungalow. For me to consider that newer house, it would have to be significantly cheaper than the same house on a wooded lot.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.48933.../data=!3m1!1e3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
This neighbourhood in Blair, Ontario, amuses me. No trees in their backyard to blot out the view of the *real* rich neighbourhood right next door.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/43%...!4d-80.3853905

Last edited by megadude; May 20, 2022 at 11:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 9:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

recently posted in the skyline thread. Hard to think of a more soul-sucking skyscraper vista:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.47909...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
recently posted in the skyline thread. Hard to think of a more soul-sucking skyscraper vista:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.47909...7i16384!8i8192
Go back in time to the 2009 image from your image . Quite the change. I lived in Waterloo off and on in the 80's and now our son is there and vast areas of it are alien landscapes to me.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 1:11 PM

I made a mistake.

It was the ambition, I suppose. Or what I thought was supposed to be the ambition. Aspiring upper-middle class life, detached and subdivided, goes the line. The right choice, right? Right?!? The top of the greasy pole, winning at the game of life, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

What a steaming pile of fucking bullshit. People aspire to this shit? Guess I get to live the experience for the next few years. Awesome.

The house is well-built I suppose, so at least it won't fall over, but the neighbourhood. Ick. Never have I seen so many houses that match the overcast skies of today. A perfect example of hitting every technical criteria and missing the heart of it. Like a Toyota Corolla. Or a toaster.

The more working-class neighbourhood I came from had its flaws (Why are you doing burnouts in the street at 11:30 at night? Why? I like sleep), but it felt human. There was noise, voices, kids playing, motion. One could sit on the deck and listen to life. Here? I sat on the deck recently. An uncanny stillness pervaded. The central A/C units whirred quietly to themselves. Nary a soul around. I went inside, because I felt awkwardly alone. Why did I do this again?

The farther I get away from people and the messiness that accompanies and the more I get into sterility, the more my soul rots. Is the soul rotting just an excuse for consumerism to sell us more shit? Fill that hideous emptiness with mass-produced junk? Make Amazon Prime Day a new national holiday?

I don't know man. Sweet is supposed to be nice, but that sickly sweetness overwhelms. I am appalled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada