HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
Isn't that the same place as on 4th St and Roosevelt? Are they moving or adding an additional location?
The very same. No word if they're moving over a few blocks, the current market seems to be doing well.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 8:55 PM

Surprising if they move, in the next couple years there will be enough population to support a couple of convenience/bodega type stores. Theya re what like 1/2 mile apart or so?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 10:45 PM
Skyriser

10 minute walk ... not a fun one tho. The density looks like it will definitely be there, if it's not already for those looking to avoid a circle k.

I wonder how much these bodegas really take to operate. Some of the smaller ones I've been to I could stock with one or two runs to costco (some are in fact) but their markups are insane.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
10 minute walk ... not a fun one tho. The density looks like it will definitely be there, if it's not already for those looking to avoid a circle k.

I wonder how much these bodegas really take to operate. Some of the smaller ones I've been to I could stock with one or two runs to costco (some are in fact) but their markups are insane.
I would bet they do great in terms of sales per sqft but they have to be because they exist in high rent areas. I do like them as small businesses and they seem fairly immune to big box and online shopping competition.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 7:56 PM

The Pemberton announced they're closing end of March:

Quote:
pembertonphx
Dear Downtown Phoenix, it's been an incredible ride. 🥹 The Pemberton is sunsetting and officially closing end of March. The memories we have made with you all in the last four years are ones we will never forget. Beyond being a hub for local businesses where you have showed your incredible support, we also hosted unforgettable weddings, events, festivals, festival after parties, craaaazy fun First Fridays, movies, art shows and so much more. We will never forget these enjoyable times we shared with you.
ã…¤
The Pemberton crew wants to thank ownership for all of the amazing support and allowing our businesses to thrive and grow these last several years - what a fun place to come to work this has been!
ã…¤
We hope to see you all continue to support the small businesses within The Pemberton through March. We have one last First Friday, so make sure to roll up for that too. We'll continue to share the fun things we have planned in February and March, so keep an eye out on our social media and we'll see you soon.
ã…¤
And all that being said... THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING! Truly. We love you all. 🫶

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halicem View Post
The Pemberton announced they're closing end of March:
Surprising, Its a cool place and always seemed packed

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Surprising, Its a cool place and always seemed packed
Yeah, sounds like a potential landlord renewal issue since they didn't just up and leave in the middle of the night... Doesn't TrueNorth own the space?

Gonna miss it for sure, I hope whatever replaces it follows in its spirit

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 8:03 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Doesn't TrueNorth own the space?

Gonna miss it for sure, I hope whatever replaces it follows in its spirit
They do, and my guess is there is something more intensive planned for the property.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:49 PM

Celebrated local restaurateur moving into former Southern Rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
A little sad to see Southern Rail go. Enjoyed their bourbon collection, and often would get a bowl of gumbo from this place (and bread pudding), when I was leaving the country for a bit. Hope the new place brings interesting food.
New restaurant announced that's taking over the old space...

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...-rail-18287604

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
I hope it's the SEC of 1st Ave & Monroe, next to Rose Garden & Bosa Donuts... But I think that's a big conversion going from a bank lobby to Restaurant.
Looks like Centrico will indeed be moving into this space as confirmed by building staff (I popped in and asked after seeing the windows blocked out already). They have a sign inside that only says "new restaurant coming"

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 9:37 PM

Great news!! I was literally just there this AM to have their red chilaquiles.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Great news!! I was literally just there this AM to have their red chilaquiles.
Nice to see some of this old retail space fill in! Im still shocked the Hilton Garden Inn isnt getting restaurants before a bank lobby conversion lol. They must charge too much for rent.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 12:06 PM
self-important urbanista

Breakfast Bitch is being bitchy yet again:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...oenix-18401324

Why did the current landlord even take the restaurant as a tenant? The owner's history as a con artist was widely known before they moved in.

In other news, I tried Harumi in its new spot yesterday. The inside is sleek and stylish. The outside looks like a jail. They have a big patio wrapping around the corner of 1st Ave & Adams, but they've encased it in head-to-toe mesh with heavy metal doors that open only outwards. To get to the prison yard, you have to find the hidden entrance inside the US Bank building lobby. Maybe they should swap locations with Breakfast Bitch. Harumi would get a more open, accessible space on Roosevelt Row, and Breakfast Bitch would have a look that fits its owner's criminal record.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 11:33 PM

Wow...after nearly 2 decades...Carly's Bistro is shuttering its doors. Last day open will be on May 3rd. Wonder what takes its place?

Also, anyone have any updates on the latest Federales Tacos saga?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Wow...after nearly 2 decades...Carly's Bistro is shuttering its doors. Last day open will be on May 3rd. Wonder what takes its place?

Also, anyone have any updates on the latest Federales Tacos saga?
This is very sad but not that surprising. I have eaten lunch there for years but lately it's been pretty darn slow. That said, I have no idea what HH or dinner business it was doing. I'll miss their chicken sandwich and vegan salad.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Crazy! That place opened when there was very little going on down there (except First Friday). They started with a panini press to make sandwiches and that was basically it (I haven't been in there in years, maybe it's still the same).
I'm actually surprised it lasted this long in all honesty. There were some lean years long ago. Now the competition is probably too strong.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 12:20 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
This is very sad but not that surprising. I have eaten lunch there for years but lately it's been pretty darn slow. That said, I have no idea what HH or dinner business it was doing. I'll miss their chicken sandwich and vegan salad.
There has been a trend, accelerated by the pandemic, away from downtown places seeing most of their business at lunch. I used to complain about too many places near my office being open only 10 AM - 3 PM weekdays. Now, it seems so many places don't open until 4 or 5 PM. There's definitely been a transition from relying on downtown workers to instead drawing downtown residents and nighttime visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Crazy! That place opened when there was very little going on down there (except First Friday). They started with a panini press to make sandwiches and that was basically it (I haven't been in there in years, maybe it's still the same).
I'm actually surprised it lasted this long in all honesty. There were some lean years long ago. Now the competition is probably too strong.
Salads and sandwiches seemed to fit in with the scrappy DIY feel of Roosevelt Row 20 years ago. Now, customers can get tacos, sushi, fancy French, and trendy pan-Asian food within just a few blocks. Carly's was a pioneer that helped set the stage for what was to come, but as with Roosevelt Row overall, change is inevitable and some of the originals are now yielding to newer arrivals.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 11:21 AM
Skyriser

Barrio Cafe is closing May 31st.

I thought that institution would be around forever.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...g/73040063007/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Barrio Cafe is closing May 31st.

I thought that institution would be around forever.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...g/73040063007/
I find it strange not to just hand it off to new management.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I find it strange not to just hand it off to new management.
"And though Esparza isn't yet ready to reveal details, she feels like rather than closing Barrio Cafe, she is passing the torch to "the son I never knew I had," who will open a new restaurant concept in the space."

"He'll take ownership of our own roots, power and culture," she said. "That inspiration is for all the young chicanitos. Don't give up. It's your right. Own it. Get so big that other cultures can't appropriate you."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest