HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Changing the name won't help the team earn higher revenues. They are dead last or nearly dead last in that category. Unless the owner manages to get his $100 million in improvements to the stadium in the next 5 - 10 years (with a substantial assist from the province and city) he will likely sell the team to US interests and the team will relocate to a city/private owner that is willing to build them a proper stadium.

Vanney is leaving TFC. I wonder if he hadn't voluntarily left he would have been fired? Disappointing end to the season for TFC considering how well they played during the regular season.
MLS is dying in Canada.

LONG LIVE THE CPL!

(prove me wrong!)

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:17 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
You said the same thing nearly verbatim two years ago and I don't really think the situation has changed all that much.

Saputo's probably rebranding the team to get ahead of potential CPL expansion into Quebec. There's been rumours CPL is eyeing two Quebec-based teams in the near future with one of them having an FC Montreal/Montreal FC moniker.
The move is getting panned on Quebec social media though.

Not sure how revolutionary this is when a half-dozen MLS clubs have FC in their names, including arch-rival Toronto.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Not sure how revolutionary this is when a half-dozen MLS clubs have FC in their names, including arch-rival Toronto.
Why not jump of the Association-Sportif moniker? AS Montreal

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
Then people wouldn't be able to make Montréal Fried Chicken jokes!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I get why MLS teams want to move away from the very 90s sounding names some of their clubs have that are not aligned with soccer. (Even if I don't agree with it myself... what's wrong with just being the Kansas City Wizards?)

But if Montreal really feels compelled to go to a more orthodox soccer name, let it be at least something other than the dull and repetitive [City Name] FC.

I mean, people gave the CFL shit for having the Roughriders and the Rough Riders but this is 10 times more boring and lame.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
I'd prefer this over yet another FC name which really isn't a name its just a description.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I'd prefer this over yet another FC name which really isn't a name its just a description.
Actually that was a good suggestion by Antigonish.

Though in francophone Europe, soccer teams that are called AS (for Association Sportive) are generally a reflection of the fact they're simply the soccer team of a wider sports club that has teams in a variety of other sports. In some cases, that's just historical, whereas in others it's still true.

So if they were to call it AS Montréal, which actually sounds pretty good, it would be a bit of an "imposture".

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:42 PM
ハルウララ

Plenty of teams in France use the Football Club moniker.

Bordeaux, Toulouse, Rennes, Lorient, PSG, Valenciennes, among others, use Football Club in their names.

I don't really see the issue with being [Place Name] FC. This is how most of the world operates, and the teams are simply referred to as [Place Name] unless there's conflict. Adding a corporate-branding-attempt as a nickname in the formal title is pretty American and pretty...forced? Let the fans dictate what the nickname should be rather than forcing one on them. FC Edmonton have Rabbits as a nickname, as an example, but the Edmonton Rabbits would sound pretty dumb as a formal name. Much like how Pacific FC can be referred to as the Light Poles.

I imagine names like Arsenal Gunners, Chelsea Blues, Manchester Red Devils, and just kind of shudder. There's no real need to formalize them into the official name of the team if it can be avoided.

Similar to Montreal, names like Sounders, Timbers, and Whitecaps are from decades and decades ago, so carrying them over to MLS wasn't the worst thing really. In the case of Seattle, though, fans had to write in to demand it when Seattle was entering MLS. Sounders wasn't one of the options provided by ownership during expansion.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I know it's not official like "Montreal Canadiens", and that it's really Arsenal Football Club, but "Arsenal Gunners" is one of the best-sounding names in all of sports.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Plenty of teams in France use the Football Club moniker.

Bordeaux, Toulouse, Rennes, Lorient, PSG, Valenciennes, among others, use Football Club in their names.
You're right. For me at least, it's not a language issue.

But Montréal FC just sounds banal.

Grasshopper FC Zurich is also an awesome name BTW, so much so that more often than not the city name is omitted.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:16 AM

I can live with Montreal FC. It is the Montreal soccer team. Not up in arms over it. I know a bit of identity was lost but well more than half the league is FC or SC after all expansion is said and done.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:36 AM

Quote:
You said the same thing nearly verbatim two years ago and I don't really think the situation has changed all that much.

Saputo's probably rebranding the team to get ahead of potential CPL expansion into Quebec. There's been rumours CPL is eyeing two Quebec-based teams in the near future with one of them having an FC Montreal/Montreal FC moniker.
Yes, I did...5-10 years and it's only been 2 years.

You are right, nothing has changed. No stadium improvements and no serious plans for stadium improvements.

Vancouver remains another franchise in serious trouble if they do not improve their revenue streams. It also doesn't help that they are one of the worst franchises in the league on the field.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:23 PM

I still don't get why Montreal's ownership would consider flushing their well-established, highly recognized brand down the toilet for fear of a CPL team coming to town and calling itself "Montreal FC".

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:09 PM

On the plus side, since they hate the Impact name so much they can let the CPL have it. After all, only the far superior and tastefully european Major League Soccer needs to worry about branding, right?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada