HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:03 PM

I want to know everything about The Brain Train

I hope this slightly different post type is okay.

I am really interested in the idea of a commuter rail line from Atlanta to Athens, and have been reading some old articles about The Brain Train proposal from the mid to late 2000s, that as far as I can tell, almost got off the ground before the state legislature added a rule requiring the General Assembly to approve any commuter rail. I am also aware that was a proposed ATL to Charlotte Amtrak line proposed a couple of years ago that had Athens on it, though I can't find any updates on that idea.

Basically I want be able to advocate for this (and other commuter rail lines), and I want to be able to do that as knowledgeably as possible about what the previous plans were, what went wrong, what opportunities exist now, what of anything is being done to pursue them, and how the political field lays.

So any suggestions for a newbie to start deep diving would be awesome.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 3:34 AM

The latest and most potent discourse for commuter rail in Atlanta has revolved around this white paper. Other than that, I can't think of anything else. The current administration in the White House is pushing for Amtrak expansion, but opponents and capital costs will probably ensure this doesn't lead to anything meaningful either.

If you are into trains as a reliable means of surface transportation, my best advice would be to move to another country.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:21 PM

With regard to the ” Brain Train”, the idea is an interesting one, connecting UGA, Emory and Georgia State/Georgia Tech via the current CSX route. Unfortunately it will not occur because of two major obstacles: 1. CSX won’t give right of way to passenger trains and 2. The unwillingness of either the public or politicians to support the financial burden. In point of fact these obstacles exist throughout the USA and prevent comprehensive mass transit. Years of neglect to whatever mass transit systems we do have coupled with the obstacles mentioned make it highly unlikely that we will have any elaborated systems anywhere in the USA.

To appreciate what other countries have done and continue to do, view the excellent NOVA https://www.pbs.org/video/london-super-tunnel-xlvcul/ on the new underground line in London. It shows the history and continued commitment to mass transit that is found elsewhere in contrast to the pathetic American approach.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 2:51 PM

https://flagpole.com/news/news-featu...e-brain-train/

I'm this 2014 article it is mentioned that engineers had recently determined that rail alignment following 316 was not feasible. Does anyone have any information as to why not? Everything I drive it I think that median looks ripe for rail

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlurbsandspices View Post
https://flagpole.com/news/news-featu...e-brain-train/

I'm this 2014 article it is mentioned that engineers had recently determined that rail alignment following 316 was not feasible. Does anyone have any information as to why not? Everything I drive it I think that median looks ripe for rail
316 is one of the most dangerous roads in Georgia, and since it is not limited access, rail cannot run down the center unless they build interchanges at all the intersections. I believe they found greenfield was a lot cheaper, plus they can get a much straighter alignment, which is important for high speed

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
316 is one of the most dangerous roads in Georgia, and since it is not limited access, rail cannot run down the center unless they build interchanges at all the intersections. I believe they found greenfield was a lot cheaper, plus they can get a much straighter alignment, which is important for high speed
I see. I just read a few sections of a 2015 report for the Amtrak alternatives. Speeds up to 220 mph if they go with that alternative and electrify it. Would be pretty exciting.

But I guess that requires purchasing ROW on thousands of parcels of land between Suwanee and Athens. How does purchasing 100ft wide parcels of land in mostly rural areas usually work?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 8:47 PM

Any idea who should I contact at GDOT to speak with about the proposed Atlanta to Charlotte Amtrak line? They have an email address on the web page for the tier 1 study, but I haven't gotten a response and I'm not sure anyone is even monitoring it

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 11:19 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlurbsandspices View Post
Any idea who should I contact at GDOT to speak with about the proposed Atlanta to Charlotte Amtrak line? They have an email address on the web page for the tier 1 study, but I haven't gotten a response and I'm not sure anyone is even monitoring it
I’m sure they would talk to you if you had $12 billion dollars to donate . Good luck

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 8:38 PM

Quote:
I’m sure they would talk to you if you had $12 billion dollars to donate . Good luck

Turns out even why you do potentially have billions of dollars an investment they are quite hard to reach, as is every other political leader and govt entity.

Last edited by Atlurbsandspices; Jun 14, 2023 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 8:54 PM

The "Brain Train" will start running on the day the restored Campanile Building opens. Or maybe not.

While such a train may be logical and quite possible given the already existing CSX right of way, it is political and economic no go in current American thinking.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 3:21 PM

maybe we might be able to at least get started on some of this in the not so distant future, once our representation actually represents the state's interests on a fair basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_CCiwKzQw

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 4:36 PM

I take it back. Things are maybe fine again

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 8:03 PM

Quote:

Turns out even the possibility of billions of private dollars infused barely excites the public side of the equation. Too much effing regulation.

WTH is the point of a Tier I if it takes 8 years and you just have to redo it all. This shit is soooooo dumb

Last edited by Atlurbsandspices; Jun 23, 2023 at 8:26 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta