HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 10:09 PM

1414 Dundas Street - new Humane Society building (Under Construction)

The land formerly used for the lawn bowling club is looking for rezoning for a new Humane Society facility. - https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...cumentId=79184

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 7:47 PM

Zoning application for the new Humane Society building. Old Oaks is a supporter for this new facility.

https://london.ca/sites/default/file...%20Meeting.pdf

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 2:50 AM

Looks like a nice building, seems like an excessive amount of parking space though

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 3:28 AM

This zoning application is from March 2021. Not sure why the city posted it to the planning website today.

Council did approve the zoning change at their meeting on April 13, 2021.

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...ab=attachments

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 9:30 PM

The new Humane Society building has officially broke ground. The new building will be called the "Old Oak Animal Campus".

https://globalnews.ca/news/8842570/h...-new-facility/

Fun fact: the article mentions that they have been at their old Clarke Rd location for 123 years!

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post
The new Humane Society building has officially broke ground. The new building will be called the "Old Oak Animal Campus".

https://globalnews.ca/news/8842570/h...-new-facility/

Fun fact: the article mentions that they have been at their old Clarke Rd location for 123 years!
And that's not a typo either. I can only imagine the day trip that was back then to go look for a puppy lol.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
And that's not a typo either. I can only imagine the day trip that was back then to go look for a puppy lol.
Haha true!

Funny enough when I read that in the article, I thought for sure it was a typo as well lol so I checked out their website, and low and behold they were established in 1899, which is pretty impressive! It's about time they upgrade.

--

Here is a rendering of the new building (looking northeast from Dundas):

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:26 PM

They have a lot of fund raising to do to raise over $10M themselves for this $21M+ building. Old Oak is kicking in the land and some money which helps alot.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 7:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

that sign...is oversized.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 5:32 PM

A lot of fund raising left to do before construction of the new facility begins it seems.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...mpus-1.6693352

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 2:38 AM
Sanity merchant

could become an obstacle course for small critters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
that sign...is oversized.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 4:02 PM

The current building on Clarke Rd has now been sold. Imagine they have a lease agreement until such time they can get the new building funded and built.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 12:09 AM

Article on the status of fund raising for the new building. Still $2M short of their $21M goal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9802248/h...t-fundraising/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2023, 9:16 PM

Property is fenced off now and site prep is underway with heavy equipment clearing top soil.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 9:05 PM

Looks like Southside Construction won the contract to build this project. They have a construction trailer parked on site now.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 4:39 PM

Looks like they are prepping to start forming for footings now.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 7:24 PM

Southside Construction has made good progress with large section of the foundation footings and walls now poured. Immediately to the west Vandel Construction has fencing up and site prep underway for something. Signage says Southbridge. Don't recall seeing any zoning application for a project on the site.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Southside Construction has made good progress with large section of the foundation footings and walls now poured. Immediately to the west Vandel Construction has fencing up and site prep underway for something. Signage says Southbridge. Don't recall seeing any zoning application for a project on the site.
It's Southbridge Medical on the sign, but information is hard to come by yet. There is a LTC called Southbridge, on Wharncliffe Rd S that opened last year, and is the parent company of Chelsey Park on Oxford St. Not sure if they are the company behind this work on Dundas or not. There is also a health care clinic chain called Southbridge, but again, no idea if this is them either. Maybe CanadianTalk can sleuth this out as he seems to do good at finding that stuff out.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
It's Southbridge Medical on the sign, but information is hard to come by yet. There is a LTC called Southbridge, on Wharncliffe Rd S that opened last year, and is the parent company of Chelsey Park on Oxford St. Not sure if they are the company behind this work on Dundas or not. There is also a health care clinic chain called Southbridge, but again, no idea if this is them either. Maybe CanadianTalk can sleuth this out as he seems to do good at finding that stuff out.
Hahaha thanks for the compliment. I forgot how I came across the city's online permit registry (I believe I first used it to find some permit dates for my home) and it has apparently been a useful tool for this forum lol.

But yes, the parcel immediately to the west of 1414 Dundas (the future home to the humane society) has an address of 1390 Dundas according to the official city map. When I put that address in the online permit registry, a site-plan was approved by the city in May 2023 for a "new 5 storey long-term care facility" with 256 beds, so djeffery is probably correct with this being related to the Southbridge LTC on Wharncliffe.

Site-plan approval can only occur if the zoning is there, and I, too, don't see a zoning application on the city's website. However, the map I mentioned earlier shows this parcel as part of the same zoning block as the former psychiatric hospital lands to the north, so a long-term care home most likely would fit within the "institutional" zoning parameters that are already there, but not sure about that.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 2:15 PM

Another LTC home is more then welcomed and its a good location as well. If we could magically snap our fingers and build 10,000 additional new fully staffed LTC beds today they would be all filled tomorrow given the current waiting lists in the province.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post
Hahaha thanks for the compliment. I forgot how I came across the city's online permit registry (I believe I first used it to find some permit dates for my home) and it has apparently been a useful tool for this forum lol.

But yes, the parcel immediately to the west of 1414 Dundas (the future home to the humane society) has an address of 1390 Dundas according to the official city map. When I put that address in the online permit registry, a site-plan was approved by the city in May 2023 for a "new 5 storey long-term care facility" with 256 beds, so djeffery is probably correct with this being related to the Southbridge LTC on Wharncliffe.

Site-plan approval can only occur if the zoning is there, and I, too, don't see a zoning application on the city's website. However, the map I mentioned earlier shows this parcel as part of the same zoning block as the former psychiatric hospital lands to the north, so a long-term care home most likely would fit within the "institutional" zoning parameters that are already there, but not sure about that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates