HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 8:06 PM

a good video by hok's peter ruggerio, who redesigned laguardia and other airports, talking about lauguardia and airport design in general:

https://youtu.be/Kil-slXgVys

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 11:49 PM

I'm one of the rare people that thinks LAX is easy to use and very convenient. I like that it's relatively small and has good food options. With the 14 billion dollar plus upgrades that have included a remodeled Tom Bradley international terminal, remodeled domestic terminals and will include 3 new terminals (midfield, 0 and 9) and the people mover connection to the metro, it's looking even better. Here's a short video on the improvements https://youtu.be/y2l09OcyYK0

Burbank is the easiest, most efficient airport. I've gotten there 25 min before a flight and made it in with time to spare. Long Beach is almost as convenient.. Haven't flown out of Ontario or John Wayne.

I also love Logan in Boston. Very convenient. I hate ohare and Dallas.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I'm one of the rare people that thinks LAX is easy to use and very convenient. I like that it's relatively small and has good food options. With the 14 billion dollar plus upgrades that have included a remodeled Tom Bradley international terminal, remodeled domestic terminals and will include 3 new terminals (midfield, 0 and 9) and the people mover connection to the metro, it's looking even better. Here's a short video on the improvements https://youtu.be/y2l09OcyYK0
LAX is not bad, and the horseshoe design is intuitive. I think that its only drawback is that is does not have a decent rail connection to downtown.

Last edited by SFBruin; May 29, 2020 at 8:21 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
LAX is not bad, and the horseshoe design is intuitive. I think that its only drawback is that is does not have a decent rail connection to downtown.
The horseshoe design makes it easy to walk between terminals, if you ever find yourself needing to quickly go from Terminal 2 to Terminal 7.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:58 PM
E pluribus unum

LAX's horseshoe design might make it easier to walk between terminals, but it is an absolute pain in the ass for traffic.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:21 PM

Ranking of London airports:
  1. London City – Ranked 40th best airport in the world by Skytrax. The most stress-free airport serving London, as noted by 10023, mostly used by business travellers. Very convenient for Canary Wharf. Due to be expanded, but long-term it is a constricted site located in-between two docks.
  2. London Heathrow – Ranked 12th best airport in the world by Skytrax. Over the past two decades, substantial redevelopments revolutionised the image of a dilapidated international gateway. Ongoing upgrades towards a toast rack configuration will help boost capacity, whilst the opening of Crossrail will connect the airport to all three of London’s CBD’s Somehow manages to keep extracting capacity out of just two runways, but a third is needed for operation resilience and future growth.
  3. London Gatwick – Ranked 64th best airport in the world by Skytrax. The challenger to Heathrow, but still displaying some of the hodgepodge expansions of previous decades. Due to undergo a substantial redevelopment to overhaul the airport, including bringing back online the stand-by runway to drastically improve operating performance. The airport station is also due to be completely rebuilt.
  4. London Stansted – Bright and airy terminal building designed by Sir Norman Foster; set the standard for new terminals. Caters mostly to low cost carriers. Potential for substantial expansion, but focus has been on Heathrow and Gatwick.
  5. London Luton – The airport itself isn’t unpleasant, just a bit sparse, but then it is focused on low-cost carriers, so you literally get what you pay for. A new automated people mover and terminal remodelling will improve the experience and connectivity to London.
  6. London Southend – The most bare-bones airport serving London. Only used it once, nothing much to really say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
So airports in metros the size of Minneapolis, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Fresno "compete" with London's, while airports in (significantly larger and busier) metros the size of D.C., Philly, Boston and Baltimore "compete" with NYC's.
I can’t imagine (perhaps you have data to back this up) that many people fly into Philadelphia, Baltimore, Boston or Washington (164km, 320km, 347km, 371km respectively from New York) with the intention that their destination is neither of these cities, but New York. The lack of fast connecting infrastructure combined with the cost, distance and time involved most likely makes such journeys unviable.

Aviation in the UK is focused mainly on international services due to the presence of a modern and comprehensive intercity rail network. Eurostar has a dominant share on short-haul major city routes to the European continent as well. 94% of London Heathrow’s and 92% of London Gatwick’s passengers are international. As already stated, most other large UK cities have their own international airports; ”medium sized town” Manchester ranked 13th globally for total destinations served, and by international passenger count would be the 4th busiest international airport in the US. Of course the US is a tad larger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The difference is that New York’s airports move 140M passengers through airports that are all less than 15 miles from the Empire State Building. Only Heathrow and London City, which account for about 85M passengers, are located comparably close to central London.
LaGuardia might be 18km out, compared to 62km for London Stansted, but the journey time by public transport to Stansted is just 6 minutes longer. It is quicker to get into Central London from Gatwick by public transport, than it is for any of the three New York airports…

The location of London Gatwick, London Stansted, London Luton and London Southend are down to historical events, suitable land, connectivity, security, mitigation of airspace congestion, space for expansion, etc…
High Speed 2 updated: 2020_05_19

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:41 PM

I love flying into Heathrow. Very convenient for a big ass airport. Just head downstairs, charge up Oyster Card and walk to the Tube platform.

Getting to Heathrow from London and checking in is a bit of a fuster though.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 6:31 PM

Rule #1 for hotel selection...find one with a direct train to the airport.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions