HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
This is the ugliest building I think I have ever seen. I hope Rio Nuevo or city council or someone has last say at this. I mean this looks NOTHING like the proposals over the past 4 years. How could they build something so grotesque? I'm all for development and skyscrapers....but not if this is what they're going to build. Thy city approved plans and sketches for the other structure. Can they just up and change it in the final days?
It looks like a ‘tower’ computer case I had circa 1995... Did the earliest rendering also say ‘Dell’ and have a square ‘Intel Inside’ sign on them?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Erm - is that 75 Broadway or something else? Egads...
Am I the only one that likes it? I think it’s kinda quirky in an endearing way

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
I thought the original design was much worse than this one. Anyway, you have to understand that almost any building, whether you like it or not, is better than a vacant lot. Downtown Tucson development is still very fragile.
Honestly a vacant lot will look better than this 80s building that looks like they tried to "update" it by painting panels on the top levels. I just think this is horrible. Its hard to believe its from the same people that designed the TEP headquarters across the street which is at least modern looking. This will do nothing for our skyline but add a huge box that now really looks like a giant parking garage.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatmd View Post
Am I the only one that likes it? I think it’s kinda quirky in an endearing way
Honest question: Did you like the final iteration of La Placita? This looks like that in tower form to me.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:04 PM

It reminds me of a jazzed-up version of Kowloon's Walled City where everything was just slapped together, and developers built new modular structures above older ones.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 8:02 PM

I emailed Swaim Architects as well as Rio Nuevo letting them know something this ugly and so prominent for our skyline would be a huge setback to the development of downtown. I urge others to go to their websites and give them your 2cents.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Honest question: Did you like the final iteration of La Placita? This looks like that in tower form to me.
I did like La Placita! This seems like the kinda thing that people hate at first but will grow on people over time.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:32 PM

that design is HIDEOUS. it's just as bad as the Home Federal Savings building (aka "bathroom tile" building), which was my previous pick for Ugliest Tower in America. now this. Tucson...you need to reject this absolute monstrosity. first, they make is LESS tall than your current tallest (why???) and then give you this design??? absolute garbage. my condolences...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatmd View Post
I did like La Placita! This seems like the kinda thing that people hate at first but will grow on people over time.
um, no....

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I emailed Swaim Architects as well as Rio Nuevo letting them know something this ugly and so prominent for our skyline would be a huge setback to the development of downtown. I urge others to go to their websites and give them your 2cents.
Just remember everyone to be professional with your criticisms when contacting the folks who designed this. Be constructive, not mean. This was designed by people with feelings.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
Just remember everyone to be professional with your criticisms when contacting the folks who designed this. Be constructive, not mean. This was designed by people with feelings.
I am not so sure. Seriously, man, what architect in their right mind would concoct such a monstrosity of divergent concepts??? They deserve wrath as they spent - max - an hour putting this jalopy together.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 12:22 AM

If this thing gets built, and in a 100 years people want to tear it down to build something better, people will rally to save it as an architectural treasure.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
Being constructive is like a professor telling a student why this design doesn't work. I'm sorry but if you look at other buildings Swaim has designed (for example the modern TEP building across the street) there is no reason for this. Especially when the designs for this have been circulating for 4 years already.
And the final product always looks worse than the renderings. Take THE FLIN for example. So this really scares me.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Being constructive is like a professor telling a student why this design doesn't work. I'm sorry but if you look at other buildings Swaim has designed (for example the modern TEP building across the street) there is no reason for this. Especially when the designs for this have been circulating for 4 years already.
And the final product always looks worse than the renderings. Take THE FLIN for example. So this really scares me.
When the Design and final building for TEP were shown publicly, everyone hated it. It was called an "Ugly Stapler" in the paper. So it is is kinda funny we are using that as an example of better design.

I think this rending is not great, I am hoping changes are made before design is finalized.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 6:37 PM

They also designed the AC Marriott and the UofA HSIB building which are all quite nice.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
When the Design and final building for TEP were shown publicly, everyone hated it. It was called an "Ugly Stapler" in the paper. So it is is kinda funny we are using that as an example of better design.

I think this rending is not great, I am hoping changes are made before design is finalized.
Yeah, I honestly still don't like the TEP building much. Massing is not very good.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 1:46 AM

Quote:
I, uh . . .

Legos but in real life

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:56 AM

Quote:
I, uh . . .

what. the hell. is THAT 😭😭😭

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 12:24 AM

Apparently Cadence may be sold and converted to market rate apartments. Rio nuevo will be discussing a GPLET for the project tomorrow. With a GPLET they'd have to make substantial additional improvements to the property, right? Any ideas on what those may be?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
Apparently Cadence may be sold and converted to market rate apartments. Rio nuevo will be discussing a GPLET for the project tomorrow. With a GPLET they'd have to make substantial additional improvements to the property, right? Any ideas on what those may be?
I'm sure the units need to be substantially reconfigured.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest