HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 7:14 PM

Santiago is definitely not tropical. I've only visited but have two friends that have lived there. The weather is more like Spain than Mexico. Same goes for Buenos Aires.

So far there have been suggestions for 3 cities in Colombia... if I was looking for what you describe, that's where I'd go. There's a wide range of climate to choose from. Bogota is my ideal (high 60s year round), but might not be hot enough for you. Medellin is lower altitude so it's more like 80 degrees year round. Cartagena is sea level so it's really tropical (temps in the 90s and humid). Personally I'd go to Bogota and fly down to Cartagena for beach weekends.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 7:17 PM

Brisbane perhaps, or maybe Gold Coast.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 9:17 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ dunno, I don't think gold coast is what the OP is looking for..you can find high rises surrounded by villas and golf courses in Florida as well.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 9:23 PM
Babylon falling

I do love Australia but I'm looking for something a bit more exotic right now. Plus I really have a thing for Latin American women especially Brazilian, Colombian, Dominican and would love to immerse myself in that culture. I have heard that Bogota gets a little bit cold and you have to wear a sweatshirt or light jacket a lot. Medellin seems to always be in the 80 to 85 range for highs but the humidity is low so that is pretty much perfect.

I did check SSP and both Cartagena and Medellin have tons of projects going on. These cities really seem to be moving forward in a positive way. And maybe I will appreciate the coast more if I just travel there on weekends with friends instead of having it there all the time....

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 9:26 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Anyone have any pics of Medellin, Cartagena, and Bogota?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 11:36 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

OT, but there was an interesting read in the New Yorker this week about Caracas, if anyone saw it. pretty visceral description of the city, didn't sound too good. If Colombian cities are doing much better, what a contrast...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 1:17 AM

For tropical, and exotic, without being to far out there, I would think heavily about Panama City. Did a little looking around about the ex-pat situation therea year or two ago. It seemed like it's a place of growth for such a thing. It's tropical and metropolitan, and I don't think it's become too expensive yet.

I'm actually looking to take a week or so vacation there.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 1:51 AM
Stuck in the Suburbs

Colombia (in the cities, at least. Rural areas are still dangerous) is quickly improving under the radar, and is on my short list of Latin American places to visit. I have heard good things about Costa Rica. San Jose (and surrounding towns) are in the mountains and cooler, but still fairly close to both coasts. I would recommend Chile, but I see it's not quite the climate you are looking for. On the other hand, Panama City may be a bit too humid for you, if SE Asia is past your threshold.
Venezuela = Stay away. At the moment, the political situation is a bit unstable, to say the least. Not to mention the incredibly high (unsolved) murder rate in Caracas...
A friend of the family (from Rio) is moving back to Brazil. After speaking to him, he echoed everyone else's comments about avoiding the North and being cautious about cost of living; a refrigerator (for example) costs three times as much there.
Having never been to the region myself though, my strongest piece of advice is to be sure to visit before deciding on anything, you could hate a place you thought you'd love, or vice-versa.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:03 AM
Paramoderator

I've thought of one- Panama City! From pictures, the place looks like Hong Kong. Something like 100 highrises are under construction there right now.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:05 AM

I have heard good things about Panama City.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:11 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Panama city seems like another gold coast or Miami...not sure I would live there over a 400 year old city...

sure the beaches are great though!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:37 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Panama city seems like another gold coast or Miami...not sure I would live there over a 400 year old city...

Panama City is 494 years old...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:41 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Well, put another way, how large and important were Cartegna, Bogota, medellin, and Panama city 200 or 300 years ago? I would imagine the colombian cities were more populous no?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Well, put another way, how large and important were Cartegna, Bogota, medellin, and Panama city 200 or 300 years ago? I would imagine the colombian cities were more populous no?
Panama City was a Colombian city back then Panama exists as a country today because we Americans decided to make it one, thus ensuring we had control over the Panama Canal - something the Colombian government didn't agree to at the time. But Panama City was bigger than any Colombian city until the early 20th century; it was the principle embarkation point for all Incan treasure trains heading back to Spain via Nombre de Dios.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 6:14 AM
Babylon falling

Something about Panama city doesn't sound appealing. I did some research today and a lot of people said it wasn't as refined a city as Medellin like the roads weren't as nice and the development is just helter skelter and so much construction everywhere. It sounded like a city with a nice skyline but the experience on the ground isn't very pleasant.

Plus it doesn't have nice beaches close to the city you have to drive quite a ways to get to them so it isn't worth putting up with the extreme humid heat.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Plus I really have a thing for Latin American women especially Brazilian, Colombian, Dominican and would love to immerse myself in that culture.
Nice euphemism.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 12:25 PM
FUS RO DAH!

I am a bit confused by the thread, since he mentioned moving to a TROPICAL city, but some of the options (like Medellin) and suggestions (Santiago, Buenos Aires, even Florianopolis) are not really tropical, and in some cases, far from it.

Also, he mentioned the place should be close to the US, and southern South America isnt that close to the US.

Florianopolis is 10,200 km from California!! For comparasion, Hawaii is 3,800 km from California and even Tokyo is "only" 8,000 km from California.

ps: interesting enough, cities on Brazil´s northeast aren´t much closer, since although they are closer to California in latitude, they are farther away in longitude.

Last edited by Trantor; Jan 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 12:28 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Panama City was a Colombian city back then Panama exists as a country today because we Americans decided to make it one, thus ensuring we had control over the Panama Canal - something the Colombian government didn't agree to at the time. But Panama City was bigger than any Colombian city until the early 20th century; it was the principle embarkation point for all Incan treasure trains heading back to Spain via Nombre de Dios.
yup

Panamá Viejo
Main article: Panamá Viejo
Panamá Viejo ("Old Panama")[22] is the name used for the architectural vestiges of the Monumental Historic Complex of the first Spanish city founded on the Pacific coast of the Americas by Pedro Arias de Avila on August 15, 1519. This city was the starting point for the expeditions that conquered the Inca Empire in Peru in 1532. It was a stopover point on one of the most important trade routes in the history of the American continent, leading to the famous fairs of Nombre de Dios and Portobelo, where most of the gold and silver that Spain took from the Americas passed through.[23]
The committee decided to inscribe this property on the basis of cultural criteria (ii), (iv) and (vi), considering that Panama was the first European settlement on the Pacific coast of the Americas, in 1519, and the Historic District preserves intact a street pattern along with a substantial number of early domestic buildings, which are testimony to the nature of this early settlement.[23]

[edit]Casco Viejo or Casco Antiguo
Main article: Casco Viejo, Panama
Built and settled in 1671 after the destruction of Panama Viejo by the privateer Henry Morgan, the historic district of Panama City (known as Casco Viejo, Casco Antiguo, or San Felipe) was conceived as a walled city to protect its settlers against future pirate attacks. It was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2003.[24]
Casco Antiguo displays a mix of architectural styles, which in turn reflect the cultural diversity of the country: Caribbean, Republican, art deco, French, and colonial architecture mix in a site comprising around 800 buildings. Most of Panama City's main monuments are located in Casco Antiguo, including the Salón Bolivar, the National Theater (founded in 1908), Las Bóvedas, and Plaza de Francia. There are also many Catholic buildings, such as the Metropolitan Cathedral, the La Merced Church, and the St. Philip Neri Church. The distinctive golden altar at St. Joseph Church was one of the few items saved from Panama Viejo during the 1671 pirate siege. It was buried in mud during the siege and then secretly transported to its present location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_city

Last edited by Trantor; Jan 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any pics of Medellin, Cartagena, and Bogota?
Wikipedia?

I could pull some from a buddy's Facebook page but I don't have a hosting service.

The No Reservations (Anthony Bourdain) episode from Medellin was pretty good too. Their version of barbecue looked legit.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 7:49 PM

Also kind of confused... you want tropical but nothing too hot?

What I hear from Colombians is that the cities are much better than they used to be, but violence in the country is still pretty bad overall. But based on the types I see in Miami (and there is a lot of them), they're a pretty educated and middle class bunch.

Another plus for Colombia is that it's about halfway between here and the rest of South America. Only 3 hrs or so to Miami and the most of the Americas is within 5 to 6 hours.

I'm pretty intrigued my Medellin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions