HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilton View Post
^ "Plaza level N (future home of Oppenheimer Gallery ? )"

"Why close off the top of each window ? why not bring them out again ?"

Maybe its part of the build out of the Plaza level N space because Oppenheimer wants it that way? Antique art prints on paper can fade in strong sunlight. North side gets stronger light.

Your Plaza level S photo shows the tops of the windows are not closed off - yet.
IIRC the tops were closed off long ago, the wood framing certainly looks vintage.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 2:34 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
North side gets stronger light.
Not in the Northern Hemisphere. A north-facing window gets no direct sunlight at all, except at the beginning and end of the day in summer. At those times the sun is low enough that it's probably blocked by other buildings.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Not in the Northern Hemisphere. A north-facing window gets no direct sunlight at all, except at the beginning and end of the day in summer. At those times the sun is low enough that it's probably blocked by other buildings.
Sorry. You are correct. Less direct sunlight for Oppenheimer on Plaza level N. See bottom right corner of "In it's best light."

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKVGuy View Post
Or, a little further west, the Fifield development at Chicago and Wood?
No real recent news. The latest I heard was that Steve and his son will be involved. Not sure when they plan to start building but hopefully soon. That stretch of Chicago all the way east to Ashland is screaming for help.

Heck, east of Ashland has taken a few punches to the face recently with the closing of Leopold (reopening as Unite Urban Grill w/ exec Chef Bradford Phillips), West Town Tavern, and Branch 27. Shaman by Chilam is literally empty almost every day and Mexique isn't exactly packed either (even though it should be). Green Zebra, Flo, Five Star and Ruxbin are doing just fine.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
^ "Plaza level N (future home of Oppenheimer Gallery ? )"

"Why close off the top of each window ? why not bring them out again ?"

Maybe its part of the build out of the Plaza level N space because Oppenheimer wants it that way? Antique art prints on paper can fade in strong sunlight. North side gets stronger light.

Your Plaza level S photo shows the tops of the windows are not closed off - yet.
If you look at the framing for the closed off windows, that is not new, it is left over from the demolition of the former restaurant that occupied that space.

Now as far as why someone would close off the upper windows: modern retail with a finished ceiling must drop the ceiling down in order to fit all of the required ductwork, electrical, fire suppression piping, etc. Another alternative would be to pull the ceiling back a little at the edge so that those upper windows can still let light into the space. It is really up to the tenant which method they chose (with approval from the building owner).

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post
No real recent news. The latest I heard was that Steve and his son will be involved. Not sure when they plan to start building but hopefully soon. That stretch of Chicago all the way east to Ashland is screaming for help.

Heck, east of Ashland has taken a few punches to the face recently with the closing of Leopold (reopening as Unite Urban Grill w/ exec Chef Bradford Phillips), West Town Tavern, and Branch 27. Shaman by Chilam is literally empty almost every day and Mexique isn't exactly packed either (even though it should be). Green Zebra, Flo, Five Star and Ruxbin are doing just fine.
I know! I'm hoping it's just an unfortunate time -- both Branch 27 and WTT are way too nice of spaces to site empty. Mexique will probably get a big boost once the next season of Top Chef starts -- the chef is one of the contestants.

As for the Fifield development, I know they did soil testing earlier in the summer but it's just been sitting there since then. I keep watching the building permit databases but nothing has shown up yet.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:
I know! I'm hoping it's just an unfortunate time -- both Branch 27 and WTT are way too nice of spaces to site empty. Mexique will probably get a big boost once the next season of Top Chef starts -- the chef is one of the contestants.

As for the Fifield development, I know they did soil testing earlier in the summer but it's just been sitting there since then. I keep watching the building permit databases but nothing has shown up yet.
I'm not too sure either. The other two condo developments on Chicago Ave are making good progress so that is a plus. Minus a few blocks around Ashland, I actually enjoy walking down Chicago ave. The neighbor still needs a "game-changer" like a bowling alley, trader joes, movie theater, etc. Something that gets people north of Chicago ave (and other areas in the city) to come to Chicago ave instead of Division/Wicker.

I'm still sad about WTT. But hopefully this is just a "out with the old, in with the new" type change. I think Noble Square strip of Chicago still needs to figure out their identity. Agree about Mexique.. the place is way too good to be empty

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 6:08 PM

Quote:
The neighbor still needs a "game-changer" like a bowling alley, trader joes, movie theater, etc. Something that gets people north of Chicago ave (and other areas in the city) to come to Chicago ave instead of Division/Wicker.
Couldn't agree more. I keep thinking that the corner lot at the southwest corner of Chicago and Wood (next to where the condo building is going up) would be perfect for a Trader Joe's. It could be configured just like the one on Diversey near Clark, where cars enter on Wood to a parking garage above the store, but, alas, I am not a location scout for TJs.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I keep thinking that the corner lot at the southwest corner of Chicago and Wood (next to where the condo building is going up) would be perfect for a Trader Joe's. It could be configured just like the one on Diversey near Clark, where cars enter on Wood to a parking garage above the store, but, alas, I am not a location scout for TJs.
I mean, besides little upscale grocery stores like Green Grocer on grand, all the area has is a Dominick's and a ghetto Jewel in Wicker Park. I am no TJ/Whole Foods scout either but I can't see why they would not do well in the area. I'm pretty sure all these people buying 500k condos and 800k homes would love one! But instead another little run-down convenience store opens next to West Town Tavern.. guys drink out of solo cups out front.. I thought this area was trying to gentrify...

The Ashland BRT would be a huge boom for this area

Natalino's is another big empty restaurant space

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew|W View Post
If you look at the framing for the closed off windows, that is not new, it is left over from the demolition of the former restaurant that occupied that space.

Now as far as why someone would close off the upper windows: modern retail with a finished ceiling must drop the ceiling down in order to fit all of the required ductwork, electrical, fire suppression piping, etc. Another alternative would be to pull the ceiling back a little at the edge so that those upper windows can still let light into the space. It is really up to the tenant which method they chose (with approval from the building owner).
Modern (open retail) could take the ceiling almost all the way up actually. Fire suppression and electrical take up very little room. At most 8 inches to underside of finished ceiling at the most. No need to worry about ductwork. You can kick out almost 40' from the center and those windows won't unbalance loads too much on south wing because of all the other buildings.

You only need to drop ceilings down if you divide up space that would obstruct air flow requiring ductwork everyhere. What you see in the pics is some rough in that could better configured. But if they kept te space open, there's no need to drop the ceilings to much more and the windows could be opened up.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 7:36 PM

Quote:
The Ashland BRT would be a huge boom for this area
That's one reason why I'm hoping these guys don't block it: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...ss-bus-project

Quote:
Shaman by Chilam is literally empty almost every day and Mexique isn't exactly packed either (even though it should be).
Shaman sells itself as a small plates/tapas place, and while I'm sure the chef is good, its a trend that I don't really get. I've been to Spain and tapas there are like $1-3 per plate, here the same dishes are like $10-12 a plate, I kind of feel as if I'm being ripped off every time I go to places like this. I can at least state that Mexique does deserve better business (though that stretch of Chicago Ave is kind of sketchy)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 11:08 PM
TL;DR

Speaking of Fifield, he claims to be moving forward on his Kennedy Cap park.

http://www.gazettechicago.com/index/...dy-expressway/

The cost is still pegged at $45-60M, which still seems insanely low to me. Dallas built a similar park at half the size (5.5 acres vs 11) for $110M, and is still raising additional funds to build certain amenities within the park. Plus, Dallas is a city with low construction costs, due in part to the use of non-union labor, which Chicago has very high construction costs for public projects. Maybe Fifield has gotten creative with the structural system, but if not, I can't see the cost figure making any sense.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Dallas built a similar park at half the size (5.5 acres vs 11) for $110M, and is still raising additional funds to build certain amenities within the park. Plus, Dallas is a city with low construction costs, due in part to the use of non-union labor, which Chicago has very high construction costs for public projects.
Was the Dallas highway cap a full public sector project or was it private sector driven? I am extremely skeptical of Mr. Fifield's numbers as well... but I have never seen a project like this attempted by a private organization.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Was the Dallas highway cap a full public sector project or was it private sector driven? I am extremely skeptical of Mr. Fifield's numbers as well... but I have never seen a project like this attempted by a private organization.
The entry ramps providing access from the streets to the Kennedy are now in the middle of the freeway. I don't see any entrance ramps (or exit ramps) in the rendering shown in the Gazette link.

Is anyone aware of a plan to retain or reconfigure access to and exit from the Kennedy between Washington and Adams? Or, will the existing exits and entrances be demolished between Randolph and Jackson - with all entering and exiting Kennedy traffic to and from Downtown and the West Loop being diverted to those streets?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 4:55 AM

^ I'd rather see collector avenues send drivers onto a super ramp to the Kennedy. The current design is beyond terrible. It does nothing but create hazardous merging, and poor pedestrian experience crossing those bridges.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 11:14 AM

^ Agree present design is not good at all. However, collector avenues and 2 super ramps for all N & S entry and exit (like for access to NYC tunnels and bridges) would seem to eat up a lot of additional money, park space and/or space developers would be interested in using for the 10M sq. ft. of new offices mentioned in the Gazette article.

The collector avenues and the 2 super ramps could create barriers to the stated justification of connecting the West Loop to Downtown. The project would, however, create some very needed park space. The collector avenues and the super ramps could be partially paid for by creating a Special Service Area for the property benefitted by the reworking of Kennedy ingress and egress.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 4:49 PM

Today
Jesse White Field house on Chicago and Sedgwick.

Source:http://www.bldrs.org/resources/docs/...teoutreach.pdf

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Sep 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 5:03 PM
The City

Quote:
I'm not too sure either. The other two condo developments on Chicago Ave are making good progress so that is a plus. Minus a few blocks around Ashland, I actually enjoy walking down Chicago ave. The neighbor still needs a "game-changer" like a bowling alley, trader joes, movie theater, etc. Something that gets people north of Chicago ave (and other areas in the city) to come to Chicago ave instead of Division/Wicker.

I'm still sad about WTT. But hopefully this is just a "out with the old, in with the new" type change. I think Noble Square strip of Chicago still needs to figure out their identity. Agree about Mexique.. the place is way too good to be empty
Ukrainian Village is bursting with development and is slowly getting there, but still has its challenges. Two months ago the city had to clean up Latin Kings graffiti from my property. Just last week it looked as if some lowlife was trying to break into my tenants' apartment. Reality is, petty theft and gang activity remain an issue in the city. I'm not sure it will ever be as safe as the burbs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 8:05 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Today
Jesse White Field house on Chicago and Sedgwick.
A few blocks away, Moody is planning a new senior housing building at Franklin and Walton. 106 units, 46 parking spaces (including a surface parking lot along the CTA tracks).

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 10:07 PM

^I assume that is north of Walton St, on what is now surface parking. Do you know if the Western News Company garage directly along the El tracks will be sparred?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development