HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 7:31 PM

Bay Area most racially segregated in recent history

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...d-13902101.php

https://haasinstitute.berkeley.edu/r...ay-area-part-2

"Whites make up a majority of the eastern Bay Area counties, and are a majority of Napa, Marin and Sonoma counties. Even in diverse counties like Contra Costa and Alameda, whites are a majority in cities such as Walnut Creek, Concord, Lafayette, Moraga, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, Berkeley, Pleasanton, and Livermore.

Cities with the highest proportion of whites in the Bay Area are Belvedere (87.6 percent), Sausalito (84.9 percent), Mill Valley (83.4 percent), Sebastopol (83.2 percent) and Yountville (82.2 percent), and the cities with the highest proportion of Asian Americans relative to their population in their respective county are:

Alameda County (30.0 percent): Piedmont (70.3 percent)

Contra Costa County (16.7 percent): Lafayette (76.7 percent)

Marin County (6.0 percent): Belvedere (87.6 percent)

Napa County (8.0 percent): Yountville (82.2 percent)

San Mateo County (28.2 percent): San Carlos (69.8 percent)

Santa Clara County (36.3 percent): Monte Sereno (76.6 percent)

Solano County (15.6 percent): Rio Vista (76.7 percent)

Sonoma County (4.0 percent): Sebastopol (83.2 percent)"

Last edited by James Bond Agent 007; May 30, 2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Images edited out and links provided instead. Images WAY too big.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 8:21 PM

Is the image big enough?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Is the image big enough?
Exactly. The OP should either edit the post or post separately with a smaller image.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:23 PM
BANNED

As a former long time (San Francisco and Oakland) resident of the Bay Area, this comes as no surprise. Statistics aside, the entire metro felt overwhelmingly White and Asian. A few Hispanics in the Mission and San Jose and an inconsequential sprinkling of Blacks in the Tenderloin, E. Palo Alto and certain parts of Oakland that weren't being rapidly gentrified.

The irony is that in my conversations, many locals considered the entire area to be some sort of diverse, cultural melting pot - my observations and experiences couldn't differ more starkly from that description.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:30 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
As a former long time (San Francisco and Oakland) resident of the Bay Area, this comes as no surprise. Statistics aside, the entire metro felt overwhelmingly White and Asian. A few Hispanics in the Mission and San Jose and an inconsequential sprinkling of Blacks in the Tenderloin, E. Palo Alto and certain parts of Oakland that weren't being rapidly gentrified.

The irony is that in my conversations, many locals considered the entire area to be some sort of diverse, cultural melting pot - my observations and experiences couldn't differ more starkly from that description.
You must've not gotten out very much, if you as a supposed former Bay Area resident, claim it isn't diverse. Or maybe you lived there in the 1950s?

Did you look at the graphs? It shows that yes, African American population is declining, but so is the white population. The Asian American and Latino population are growing substantially. In fact, Latinos now comprise nearly 25% of the regional population. Alameda, Contra Costa, Napa, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma counties all have Latino populations around 25% or higher. Not exactly a "few Hispanics in the Mission" like you claim.

Also, Asia is comprised of many different countries, so while you may think an area that is "overwhelmingly Asian" lacks diversity, that simply is not the case. There are many Indian, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese people in the Bay Area. It's not just Chinese people, and even then, Chinese culture, is extremely diverse.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
You must've not gotten out very much, if you as a supposed former Bay Area resident, claim it isn't diverse. Or maybe you lived there in the 1950s?

Did you look at the graphs? It shows that yes, African American population is declining, but so is the white population. The Asian American and Latino population are growing substantially. In fact, Latinos now comprise nearly 25% of the regional population. Alameda, Contra Costa, Napa, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma counties all have Latino populations around 25% or higher. Not exactly a "few Hispanics in the Mission" like you claim.

Also, Asia is comprised of many different countries, so while you may think an area that is "overwhelmingly Asian" lacks diversity, that simply is not the case. There are many Indian, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese people in the Bay Area. It's not just Chinese people, and even then, Chinese culture, is extremely diverse.

I see you're in the Bay Area. What's your ethnicity? Because if it's what I think it is, your perspective validates the last sentence in my previous post (clueless naiveté re: the Bay Area's status as some sort of diverse cultural melting pot). I guess the stats provided by the OP are false, too - right?

And the "overwhelmingly (White) and Asian" I was referring to (again, based on *my* Bay Area experience, interactions and observations) = Chinese and Indian. You blatantly implied that by "Asian", I was exclusively referring to Chinese, although I never stated that. But thanks for the tutorial.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:54 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I see you're in the Bay Area. What's your ethnicity? Because if it's what I think it is, your perspective validates the last sentence in my previous post (clueless naiveté re: the Bay Area's status as some sort of diverse cultural melting pot). I guess the stats provided by the OP are false, too - right?

And the "overwhelmingly (White) and Asian" I was referring to (again, based on *my* Bay Area experience, interactions and observations = Chinese and Indian. But thanks for the tutorial.
Sorry, but the only clueless person here is you.

The numbers I provided are actually from the links provided by the OP. Try reading them.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 11:25 PM
DENNAB

That makes sense, diversity for the sake of it is dumb and kind of a failure. I'm not saying that's how it should be but most humans have a deep sense of tribalism and little interest in being too close or friendly to people different than them. Not everyone is like this but a lot are.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry, but the only clueless person here is you.

The numbers I provided are actually from the links provided by the OP. Try reading them.
Also "actually provided by the OP":

Whites make up a majority of the eastern Bay Area counties, and are a majority of Napa, Marin and Sonoma counties. Even in diverse counties like Contra Costa and Alameda, whites are a majority in cities such as Walnut Creek, Concord, Lafayette, Moraga, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, Berkeley, Pleasanton, and Livermore.

Cities with the highest proportion of whites in the Bay Area are Belvedere (87.6 percent), Sausalito (84.9 percent), Mill Valley (83.4 percent), Sebastopol (83.2 percent) and Yountville (82.2 percent), and the cities with the highest proportion of Asian Americans relative to their population in their respective county are:

If those ^ stats and statements re: the ethnic makeup of the Bay Area somehow paint a picture of "diversity" to you, you are the epitome of the delusional residents to which I initially referred. And oh, BTW, electing not to answer the question in my previous post only serves to further validate my position.

Last edited by JAYNYC; May 30, 2019 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:

Asians are growing the fastest, Latinos at a modest rate, with both Whites and Blacks declining.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 5:03 AM

Quote:

You obviously never rode Muni, especially the 31, 5 or 9 lines or the T-Third metro, all of which go near or through housing projects. Lots of young blacks screaming the “F” word at each other 3 times in every sentence on those.

By the way, the Tenderloin is not heavily black. It’s mostly Asian and white. The black people you see on the streets don’t live there—they come from elsewhere to sell drugs. The traditional black neighborhoods are the Fillmore (a subpart of the Western Addition) and Bayview—Hunters Point. In the former much of the older rundown (and therefore lower cost) housing was torn down decades ago so the remaining black residents live in public housing. In the latter there are also huge and dangerous housing projects but also the city’s residual working class black population.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:

The region is less White than NYC and only slightly more than LA.

NYC: 44.0%White
SF Bay Area: 42.4% were non-Hispanic
LA Metro: 39.0% White Non-Hispanic)

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
The region is less White than NYC and only slightly more than LA.

NYC: 44.0%White
SF Bay Area: 42.4% were non-Hispanic
LA Metro: 39.0% White Non-Hispanic)
The "statistics" you've so kindly shared above are beyond meaningless. What cities and counties are you including in each population figure? Do you legitimately believe - or think anyone else remotely believes - that San Francisco and Los Angeles are "less White" than New York City?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...d-13902101.php

"Whites make up a majority of the eastern Bay Area counties, and are a majority of Napa, Marin and Sonoma counties. Even in diverse counties like Contra Costa and Alameda, whites are a majority in cities such as Walnut Creek, Concord, Lafayette, Moraga, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, Berkeley, Pleasanton, and Livermore.

These graphics are too small to read. Can you blow them up a bit.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:41 PM

First world problems in regards to this specific context.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 1:26 AM
BANNED

This is surprising how? Show me a white liberal who actually lives among minorities and practices what they preach and I'll give you 100 bucks.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthisgone View Post
This is surprising how? Show me a white liberal who actually lives among minorities and practices what they preach and I'll give you 100 bucks.
Holy sh*t! SOMEBODY gets it!!!

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:26 AM

Quote:

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Except white liberals tend to live in ethnically diverse geographies, obviously.

They're least present in the most homogeneous geographies- exurban and rural America. They're most present in places like NYC, DC, LA and Bay Area, all regions with majority minority populations.

Also, I don't understand this thread. The Bay Area is obviously diverse. No, it doesn't have a huge black population, same as everywhere in the western U.S., but has everything else.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:49 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Except white liberals tend to live in ethnically diverse geographies, obviously.
He saying they aren't living next door to non whites typically. They live near or around other white people with Patagonia hats and Coexist stickers on their Priuses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions