HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 11:31 PM

There is a new camera that is much higher and with a better angle for Akara.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 11:49 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post
There is a new camera that is much higher and with a better angle for Akara.
Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 9:04 PM
Modulator

Kenect Height

The penthouse/elevator shaft has topped out on Kenect. So I just wanted to pass-on Kenect's total height since I know when it first started, we didn't have an exact figure. I now have the design blueprints and can confirm Kenect's height is 246' to the top of the penthouse.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 8:54 PM

What an impact Kenect has on the skyline. Imagine what Hannys and Central Station would look like here.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 9:48 PM
Skyriser

Kenect will be a big gap filler from at least 17 south to 10 east.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 5:56 PM

It looks like Kenect updated their website and perhaps added some new renderings to it (I don't remember seeing all of them before):
https://www.kenectphoenix.com/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 4:15 AM

Glass going up and looking good!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtphxguy View Post
Glass going up and looking good!

How will these windows open? I like those windows that open downward but I don’t see where these windows would open from?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 2:29 PM

I was speculating they won't open and the solid pieces between the windows seem to have mounts built it. Perhaps shade sails?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 7:22 PM

I know this has been talked about before but it doesn't look like Kenect is going to have any balconies? Seems very, very odd.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutayo View Post
I know this has been talked about before but it doesn't look like Kenect is going to have any balconies? Seems very, very odd.
It was never planned with balconies.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:45 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutayo View Post
Correct. No balconies anywhere. Not even on the inside over the pool deck area. I hope these are going to be lower rate units?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Correct. No balconies anywhere. Not even on the inside over the pool deck area. I hope these are going to be lower rate units?
It’s funny you say that, cause their website actually says “affordable apartments” for rent. Not that I believe these will actually be what most would consider affordable, but it is a refreshing break from the “luxury apartment” marketing every one of these 4-story complexes are using.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 1:42 AM
self-important urbanista

The proximity to the Downtown Civic Space Park, a place that really needs a better name, might help offset the lack of balconies in renting the apartments. The need for a little outdoor space of one's own is not as great when there's a park across the street. Of course, there's the question of how comfortable Kenect tenants will feel among the homeless and Westward Ho population that often occupies the park, but maybe the presence of more residents of new apartments in the area will dilute that factor.

Last edited by exit2lef; Feb 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 3:43 AM

There are a couple of giveaways that these are not billed as high end apartments. They specifically mention "parking included" which is something that you must do when chasing lower budget tenants. And the mention of "fully equipped kitchen" is something you don't mention in luxury because your renters know that. The lower budget stuff often won't include things like microwaves, washers, dryers or refrigerators. Mentioning fully equipped kitchen with that wording is a way of saying your dollar stretches farther here.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 1:06 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
They specifically mention "parking included" which is something that you must do when chasing lower budget tenants.
That's really disappointing considering Kenect is literally across the street from the city's biggest rail and bus hub. Charging a separate fee for tenants who want on-site parking would be one way to keep rents lower for those who don't need a spot.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
That's really disappointing considering Kenect is literally across the street from the city's biggest rail and bus hub. Charging a separate fee for tenants who want on-site parking would be one way to keep rents lower for those who don't need a spot.
I think it's absolutely great that they are building more value-oriented residential spaces! Why the frustration? We have a MAJOR affordability issue in every major growing metro. Kudos even if balconies are not included.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 12:42 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
I think it's absolutely great that they are building more value-oriented residential spaces! Why the frustration? We have a MAJOR affordability issue in every major growing metro. Kudos even if balconies are not included.
My frustration has nothing to do with the lack of balconies and everything to do with including parking in the base rent and marketing that decision as a feature of the building when it's actually a bug. Saying that parking is included may sound great to tenants who have a car, but with a location right across the street from Central Station, not every tenant will need one. Nevertheless, every resident is going to pay for the expensive and ugly parking podium under the residential floors. A better approach would have been to build less parking and unbundle it from rent. Those who have a car they wish to park on site would pay an extra monthly fee for a spot, and those who don't need one would pay less in rent because they're paying just for their own living space and not for the extra room needed to store a vehicle.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 12:51 AM

The truth is Phoenix isn't yet a big enough city for that. First a few buildings need to be built with no parking whatsoever and then when it has become a premium they'll start charging at places like Kenect.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 1:21 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The truth is Phoenix isn't yet a big enough city for that. First a few buildings need to be built with no parking whatsoever and then when it has become a premium they'll start charging at places like Kenect.
People have been saying that for decades, and when they continue to do that, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's time to stop repeating the same old tired cliches and think differently. In actuality, it's never been easier for someone to go without a car in Phoenix -- not everywhere, but certainly across the street from Central Station when the combined effect of light rail, bus, rideshare, bike lanes, and scooters is considered. Not having a car won't work for 100% of tenants -- probably not even for 50%, but it will for some, and those tenants shouldn't pay for parking they don't use -- especially in a building that is focused on affordability.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest