HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Interesting find, Architecture_Buff. Do you know any more information on that rendering?

It does feel very suburban. It's the first two levels that's doing it. Put a more contemporary base on it, ditch the suburban-style landscaping, and you have yourself an attractive building for downtown.
I posted a link to the renderings. They seem to have been made in Oct. Do you have a link to the designer of your rendering? The Broad Street side is good, but living in a condo I would prefer extending the living space out to a balcony on the "WAVE SIDE". The old Imperial on 3rd has huge balconies that are like another room to cook and entertain out in the fresh air. Roof top spaces as in this one example that I took last year are a great design.

Large balconies to extend living area.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Apr 1, 2015 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:16 PM

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2015/...r-new-brewery/

Payette Brewing raises money for new brewery

By: Brad Iverson-Long March 31, 2015 0

Payette Brewing, currently based in Garden City, has raised $1.255 million from investors, which is part of the brewery’s plan to fund a new brewery near downtown Boise.

Read more: http://idahobusinessreview.com/2015/...#ixzz3W4xDFGt0

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
I posted a link to the renderings. They seem to have been made in Oct. Do you have a link to the designer of your rendering? The Broad Street side is good, but living in a condo I would prefer extending the living space out to a balcony on the "WAVE SIDE". The old Imperial on 3rd has huge balconies that are like another room to cook and entertain out in the fresh air. Roof top spaces as in this one example that I took last year are a great design.

Large balconies to extend living area.
Uggg..that last example is horrible, and doesn't belong downtown at all. Some architectural detail, absolutely...a vertical outdoor garage for people to store their bikes, kids big wheel, bbq, other crap, and dead plants...please no. That building is brand new...give it a decade.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 12:21 AM
Closed account

condos

The condos I posted have strong CC& R's, and the bottom one is 9 years old. I have been inside both buildings, and they are very nice. The lower balcony one has a 3 bed 2 bath for sale at $375,000.
I still maintain the idea (not the design), that having balconies are a asset. I have looked at many downtown condos, and would not buy one without an outside open space or balcony off the unit.
A lot of my neighbors would love front yard patios, and some are going in with strict restrictions.
The same should apply downtown with balconies with solid opaque railings. New units that I visited have storage for bikes(not allowed on decks) in your individual storage unit. Even the old Imperial Plaza has underground parking with bike storage. There will always be people trying to break the cc & r's, but with high fines that should change their minds quickly.
Rooftop gathering spaces, besides balconies like the condos at 13th & Myrtle are a big trend. In expensive buildings pools are either on top of parking garages or on the roof. Over in Ketchum they have a rooftop lap pool at a downtown condo.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
BREAKING DEVELOPMENT NEWS.

The Changing Face of Hyde Park

An iconic Boise neighborhood morphs into a shopping complex

By Dr. Robert T. Axidea, PhD

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/the...nt?oid=3441773

Boise's answer to The Village? Looks like developers are poised to acquire six blocks of Hyde Park to turn it into a modern, upscale retail complex.

Two six-story parking garages will provide plenty of free parking. Should be a win-win for everyone.

Dr. Axidea's a great reporter, the Weekly's lucky to have him.

This has to be an elaborately written April Fools joke....there is just no way this is real. Is it??

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
This has to be an elaborately written April Fools joke....there is just no way this is real. Is it??
Oh this is very much for real! As a northender I support redeveloping this "historical" area to look and feel for more like the Village. To answer you question-No, there's absolutely no way that that is going to happen. I will admit, the article had Fooled me at first too before I remembered that Boise Weekly had also put out an article last year saying that Boise State had decided that it was time to switch their blue field back to the traditional green turf.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 8:08 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Yes, it is an April Fools joke.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is an April Fools joke.
That was a good one. The BW does this every year for April Fools. The comments at the BW are hilarious. For one thing, Hyde Park is a Historic District and it would probably take an act of God to reverse the historic status for something as in the article. And you know how those Northenders are, they would riot city hall if something like this were to actually happen lol.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:24 PM
Dare Mighty Things

New look for the Boise Spectrum. Quite different than the 1990s purple, red and tan color scheme.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:33 PM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
New look for the Boise Spectrum. Quite different than the 1990s purple, red and tan color scheme.
Much better look for that complex. More neutral, less Chuck 'E' Cheese. Some of those shops in that plaza have suffered/not lasted because I don't think people liked hanging out over there. Hopefully an updated atmosphere helps that out.

but wait!? please don't remove the Volleyball pit! one of the better ones in town.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
Much better look for that complex. More neutral, less Chuck 'E' Cheese. Some of those shops in that plaza have suffered/not lasted because I don't think people liked hanging out over there. Hopefully an updated atmosphere helps that out.

but wait!? please don't remove the Volleyball pit! one of the better ones in town.
It was a disappointment for me to see Pronto Pops and Goodies leave the Spectrum. As a kid I'd always visit those two places after a movie at the theater there. It's unlikely, but hopefully after they remodel they'll be able to successfully compete with the Village.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:15 PM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
It was a disappointment for me to see Pronto Pops and Goodies leave the Spectrum. As a kid I'd always visit those two places after a movie at the theater there. It's unlikely, but hopefully after they remodel they'll be able to successfully compete with the Village.
Smoky Mountain and Jamba Juice too. I used to work at the Jamba Juice back in 2000/2001 and the Pronto Pups and Smokey Mountain people would trade waste food with us. It was awesome back then. Went on a date at Goodie's once too. All of it is gone now I understood the Jamba Juice failing though because the owner was too cheap to invest in anything warm, so during winter business was....bad.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:48 PM
Closed account

Designs from Holst Architecture

The Portland firm is designing the Roost at 5th and Broad. A very urban design firm with many condo designs on this site.
Go to Our Work and then Mixed-Use Housing for their condo designs. Some great work for urban living, but if you like something better than a box to live in move to another firm.

http://www.holstarc.com/

rendering from Idaho Statesman

Read the comments from the paper. They rip this design to pieces.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Apr 2, 2015 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
Read the comments from the paper. They rip this design to pieces.
The comments at the Statesman have always been known to be uplifting

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Uggg..that last example is horrible, and doesn't belong downtown at all. Some architectural detail, absolutely...a vertical outdoor garage for people to store their bikes, kids big wheel, bbq, other crap, and dead plants...please no. That building is brand new...give it a decade.
Yeah, that building reminds me of a suburban apartment complex.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 11:01 PM

Liking the new Spectrum look! It really does need some help. I remember when that was the place to be!! Thursday Night Thunder, the Gaming Center (I keep wanting to say GameWorks though I know it wasn't), and the vibe was great then. Crazy to see it damn near empty these days. Funny they built the street to go through the front of the theater, hoping to help business, and now it appears they are taking it back out.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
Liking the new Spectrum look! It really does need some help. I remember when that was the place to be!! Thursday Night Thunder, the Gaming Center (I keep wanting to say GameWorks though I know it wasn't), and the vibe was great then. Crazy to see it damn near empty these days. Funny they built the street to go through the front of the theater, hoping to help business, and now it appears they are taking it back out.
It was GameWorld that your talking about (I think). It's been so long but remember how I used to think that it was so cool that I could put $20 on a small plastic card in order to play their games. But in the end Gameworld just became to expensive, and that is why I had lost interest in that place. Which was unfortunate because, I remember that they had some decent games. They had tried to attract more customers by adding in 2 lanes for bowling. But that didn't seem to work and they went out of business like the rest of them. It was pretty much the domino effect, one good business after another just up and left. there seems to be a trend to where the only place that ever get a lot business at the Spectrum is Edwards 22.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:39 PM

Seems to me that these retail developments are missing a vital draw which to me is obvious. Plug a grocery store in there and you have instant customers. I'm not talking about a traditional shopping center but imagine The Village with an attached supermarket.

I may not want to visit the Spectrum and/or The Village, but if I have to do my grocery shopping anyway, I might just decide to take a look in one of the other stores, or grab lunch, before I do my shopping.

If they were designed right from the beginning for a small or medium size grocery store (preferably with a parking deck), people will be drawn there and everyone wins.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:41 PM

I think I'm in the minority but I don't like going to the village or the cinema there much. The seats were way too loud. The 22 is OK at best. I think I would like it more if there were an update ascetically. But I always watch films at the Edwards 9 downtown. I don't mind parking in the garage or hunting for parking and I enjoy the small rooms and screens.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 8:55 PM
Dare Mighty Things

A lot of people understandably love the Village now because it's brand new, it's fresh, and there's nothing like it. But newness doesn't last forever, and if I were an investor I'd have serious concerns about its long term future.

For example, take the decision to build everything in "Old World" European architecture. In real-life Europe, the architecture looks the way it does because it evolved over centuries of construction and destruction. It is the way it is for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with Idaho. So the act of replicating it doesn't make sense, and even if it did you can't do it overnight and expect it to look authentic. It's new enough that people generally aren't looking at it with a critical eye. But the more time people spend there, the more fake it's going to look. They won't be able to escape that.

But the Village has tried by pouring huge sums of money into every detail of the design. The result is that you have a theme park atmosphere where nothing is organic and everything is just so. Without the human element of genuine unpredictability, once the newness wears off it will feel phony and tacky. That's the problem with glitzy design in general--it's great when it's fresh. But if it's not fresh, and it's not best, it'll become a "has been" so fast you won't believe it. And it's very difficult to recover from that.

Just look at the fate of enclosed malls across the US. Or look at big entertainment districts from the 90s built overnight. The kind with Planet Hollywood, or Hard Rock Cafe. Look at the Boise Spectrum. Towne Square Mall. Look at Reno and Las Vegas in the aftermath of Dubai and Macau.

The Village probably could have avoided this by locating itself in downtown Meridian. Instead of trying to build everything from scratch, do it the BoDo way. Incorporate history, carefully build new buildings in the gaps of old ones, so everything organically meshes together. But alas, they didn't. And I'm kind of happy they didn't because it does offer a unique shopping experience in the Treasure Valley. Not my cup of tea, but for many it is. I just see it going down the same path as the Boise Spectrum--being the place to be for a while, and then fading over time.

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Apr 4, 2015 at 12:26 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West