HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Crane Chinatown in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 2:23 AM

Very nice

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 8:54 PM

Any news about this

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett/Rodger View Post
Any news about this
It is currently going through a complete redesign. The building will most likely be shrinking in height and the floor plate will get wider. Probably will see construction sometime next year

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:36 AM

Shorter and wider huh? Well thats not good.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhattersLT View Post
Shorter and wider huh? Well thats not good.
In general I agree, but given the area this is in I'm still happy that something of this large a scale is being built. Even if it's a bit shorter and stockier, it's a huge investment in the neighborhood and the fact that it's likely to start construction next year is a big deal. (I'm taking ConstructStudent's word for it since he/she appears to have inside info on a lot of things. It also sounds like it's fairly far along in terms of funding.)

I see this building and the Goldtext renovation as the harbinger of more development to come. Hopefully these large scale developments will inspire confidence in other developers to redevelop some of the numerous surface lots around here. More towers will come.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 5:21 PM

I am not at all surprised that this concept is being downsized and redesigned. It's a good sign as far as I'm concerned, as it indicates the developers are becoming more realistic.

The current design is fussy and probably too expensive for something that requires alot of subsidy to happen.

To me, that lumpy glass checkerboard facade is a bit silly. Vaguely interesting in a way, but basically pointless and unnecessary . A simpler (not to say uglier) design will likely be cheaper and make what is probably an already marginal project a bit more feasible.

In the end, at a site like this, I'd rather see a simpler, more modest project make it to reality than a more dazzling speculative concept remain stuck on the drafting table.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:26 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I am not at all surprised that this concept is being downsized and redesigned. It's a good sign as far as I'm concerned, as it indicates the developers are becoming more realistic.

The current design is fussy and probably too expensive for something that requires alot of subsidy to happen.

To me, that lumpy glass checkerboard facade is a bit silly. Vaguely interesting in a way, but basically pointless and unnecessary . A simpler (not to say uglier) design will likely be cheaper and make what is probably an already marginal project a bit more feasible.

In the end, at a site like this, I'd rather see a simpler, more modest project make it to reality than a more dazzling speculative concept remain stuck on the drafting table.
I think the PROJECT HOME development with PCDC at 8 and Vine Sts had an effect on the downgrade of the size of this development which lead to a re-design.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I think the PROJECT HOME development with PCDC at 8 and Vine Sts had an effect on the downgrade of the size of this development which lead to a re-design.
How so?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:42 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
How so?
I think it was something to do with finances.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I think it was something to do with finances.
How did Project HOME take away funding for this building?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
I think I get what's going on with their funding better now. It sounds like they already have about $40mil of funding accounted for. Their hoping to raise another $33 mil through this program, and with 5 potential candidates out of 66 in the first week it may take at least a full quarter for them to secure that. On top of that it sounds like they still need another $2 mill to make this happen.

Given all that I'm not to confident about them breaking ground over the summer 2014. Toy was last on record saying they wanted to begin last quarter of 2013, so I'm reluctant believe his predictions. It sounds like this is over halfway financed though and I'm really hoping this works out. It's a terrific project and will really help with the momentum north of Vine Street.
I hope they do it sooner than later. The new rules at the PCC will probably drive new hotels in the area. This project could really plant Chinatown. I'd rather see local development than hotels.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM

Drove past the site today on the way to work. The Sign is still up with the original building that was proposed on it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:32 PM

Is this finally moving forward? Looks like more info and renderings on this:

Co-developer with PCDC is JNA Capital. Architect is KlingStubbins. Hunters Roberts is the General Contractor

Renderings here:
http://www.easterntowercc.com/#!eastern-tower/crly

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Very nice renderings! These look to be about the same design as before though, and up thread ConstructStudent mentioned there may be a complete redesign. Under the "Lease" tab on that website it claims the building will be 23 stories instead of 24, but that doesn't seem like that drastic a change. I hope they stick with this overall design; it's lovely and fits in nicely with the direction the neighborhood is moving in.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Very nice renderings! These look to be about the same design as before though, and up thread ConstructStudent mentioned there may be a complete redesign. Under the "Lease" tab on that website it claims the building will be 23 stories instead of 24, but that doesn't seem like that drastic a change. I hope they stick with this overall design; it's lovely and fits in nicely with the direction the neighborhood is moving in.
Those renderings are from a previous design. The building is currently 21 stories with a mechanical penthouse.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
Those renderings are from a previous design. The building is currently 21 stories with a mechanical penthouse.
Sounds good! Any new construction is good for Callowhill/Chinatown North/Loft District... especially one that is 20+ floors! I look forward to it going up.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:39 PM

According to Rachel Mak, Deputy Director of Phila. Chinatown Development Corp.:

"Yes, the project is moving forward financial closing in January 2015. Construction begins Spring 2015."

Yeah, I emailed her - felt like being a little proactive. I figure if she didn't mind sharing this info with a nobody over the internets ...it was ok to pass along to you all.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:31 PM

RACP Funding

They are holding a press conference as we speak to release that they have received RACP Funding.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:39 PM

Cool! Does that mean they can start building?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 3:01 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Some more (local) fundraising for this badly needed project:

http://www.phillyrecord.com/2014/10/...-youth-a-home/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive