HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Staten Island, despite all its underdeveloped areas, is growing far more slowly than the other boroughs. Nimbyism?
Yes. They downzoned most of of the central/southern portions of the island about 5 years ago, and since then, those areas have stopped growing. SI is full of NIMBYs.

Also, SI isn't really full of "underdeveloped areas". About half the island is undeveloped, but those lands are overwhelmingly either parkland or industrial/maritime/shipping uses. There's no chance that parkland or maritime-oriented land will be converted to residential.

Much of southern Staten Island is actually pretty thick woods/marshland which is all now city parkland. Much of the West Shore consists of maritime uses. The North Shore, which is quite urban, is seeing the only real growth on SI. Not coincidentally the North Shore allows high density development in parts.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 12:49 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...grow/84552378/

Quote:
New York City, with a population of more than 8.5 million residents, gained 55,000 people in the year that ended July 1, 2015, the biggest increase in raw population among any city. The bulk of the growth in New York took place in the Queens, Brooklyn and Bronx boroughs.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 10:42 PM

Today I drove through BKLYN back to LIC and it took me more than hour.....too many damn people!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 11:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A good read on the increase in pedestrians, crowded sidewalks, and pedestrian fatalities. Problems that the locals have, commuters, and so on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/ny...sidewalks.html

By WINNIE HU
JUNE 30, 2016
NY Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
Today I drove through BKLYN back to LIC and it took me more than hour.....too many damn people!
And it's only going to increase.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:04 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.mychinews.com/news/brookl...d-largest-city

Brooklyn, NY to outgrow Chicago as country’s third largest city

Quote:
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Brooklyn’s population is predicted to reach 2.75 million by 2020, passing up Chicago’s predicted 2.74 million for the third largest city in the country. Brooklyn’s population has increased by over five percent since 2010, whereas Chicago has grown less than one percent.

Currently, the three cities with the greatest populations are New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago — in that order. This will be the first time that Chicago will be surpassed by Brooklyn in population in over 100 years. New York weblog, Gothamist, said that Brooklyn held the third biggest city title before, dating back around 1860 to 1880 and again from 1910 to 1970. It won’t last long, however. According to Gothamist, Houston is predicted to pass up Brooklyn for the 3rd place spot by 2035.

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think Queens in the long run will be the winner. Actually, I expect a nice chunk of the population growth in the next 10 years to occur in Queens. Already happening as we speak. That, and the next boom spot, Bronx.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 12:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.mychinews.com/news/brookl...d-largest-city

Brooklyn, NY to outgrow Chicago as country’s third largest city

Video Link
from Welcome Back Kotter intro

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:03 PM

Re: Queens, it's not just LIC that's booming. I work out near Flushing and the growth there is remarkable as well.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 7:07 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
from Welcome Back Kotter intro
Meestah Kottah!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 10:29 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

What drives Florida growth? What is in Florida that is creating jobs and makes people want to move there?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Re: Queens, it's not just LIC that's booming. I work out near Flushing and the growth there is remarkable as well.
I agree. Queens is a great place. I was over in Jamaica yesterday and its been a while, but for a minute I thought I was in Manhattan in terms of street activity. The borough is definitely getting bigger in every respect. If anything, traffic is an indication.

Flushings is a boom spot as well. Lots going around there and near Great Neck as well.

I will say this, for those that think that hectic street scenes and crowds is only something in Manhattan, go to Queens. You'll see them.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:55 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
What drives Florida growth? What is in Florida that is creating jobs and makes people want to move there?
No snow and mild winters. That's 90% of what lures NY'ers down there.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I agree. Queens is a great place. I was over in Jamaica yesterday and its been a while, but for a minute I thought I was in Manhattan in terms of street activity. The borough is definitely getting bigger in every respect. If anything, traffic is an indication.

Flushings is a boom spot as well. Lots going around there and near Great Neck as well.

I will say this, for those that think that hectic street scenes and crowds is only something in Manhattan, go to Queens. You'll see them.
Exactly, anyone doubting that can check out my photo thread on Queens here. Jackson Heights, Astoria, Flushing, Jamaica, etc all have that hectic city feel.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 12:38 AM

Queens is denser than any other US city over 100k besides New York itself. Denser than San Francisco, denser than Jersey City, denser than Boston...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Exactly, anyone doubting that can check out my photo thread on Queens here. Jackson Heights, Astoria, Flushing, Jamaica, etc all have that hectic city feel.

Speaking of pictures, any new photo threads in the works? Your boro series was a masterpiece.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 2:19 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
No snow and mild winters. That's 90% of what lures NY'ers down there.
And how do these people earn a living?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
And how do these people earn a living?
Most are retired.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:00 PM
Freakbirthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Queens is denser than any other US city over 100k besides New York itself. Denser than San Francisco, denser than Jersey City, denser than Boston...
Aren't all the boroughs except staten island denser than all other cities?

I keep reading Brooklyn being referred to as a city. It's not, right? It's a county, right?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Unperson View Post
Aren't all the boroughs except staten island denser than all other cities?

I keep reading Brooklyn being referred to as a city. It's not, right? It's a county, right?
Yeah, Brooklyn is Kings County but it was its own city until the Consolidation of 1898, when NYC went from Manhattan + the western half of The Bronx to all five boroughs. In 1890, Brooklyn was fourth by city population.

The densest county list in the US goes Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, San Francisco, Hudson County, NJ, Suffolk, MA (Boston).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Speaking of pictures, any new photo threads in the works? Your boro series was a masterpiece.

I've actually been traveling globally for a about year since the boro series and just got back to New York. Expect something nyc-related in a few months (currently job-searching), but in the meantime I put up a photo thread on Brazil if you wanna check it out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions