HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:29 AM
Austinite

Anyone remember McDuff electronics? There was one on Burnet & 183, and in the Lakehills Shopping Center on Ben White at S Lamar. They were around well into the 90s. More recently, there was Rex electronics. How about Frisco electronics? Yes, I hung out at electronics stores frequently as akid.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:03 AM
Meh

I vaguely remember McDuff's. Does anyone remember Highland Electronics? There used to be one located on Ben White near Manchaca next to the Randalls. The building is now occupied by a bingo hall. I think the Nightmare Factory used to be in that building too, and there's a Pier1 Imports in that shopping center. I remember us going there in the late 80s. They sold all kinds of stuff. Big appliances, but also stereos and tvs, vcrs and they rented movies. I remember we used to go there to rent our movies. Those were the days before Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. I'm sure it was the place where we first rented Back the Future, Ghostbusters, Star Trek, etc.

EDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs
And....... a place i'd hang out at as a little kid........ Highland Electronics. There was one next door to Highland Mall (now a Specs), and another on Ben White (near Manchaca). They went out of business the same year Best Buy and Circuit City entered the Austin Market...1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs
Olga's Kitchen
Yep. I remember that one in Barton Creek. I ate there several times with my mom and grandma. I think Chick Fillet took over their location in the mall.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:24 AM
Closed account

Speaking of Blockbuster, anyone remember when there was Blockbuster Music as well?

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
Speaking of Blockbuster, anyone remember when there was Blockbuster Music as well?
They bought a few different record store chains, Sound Warehouse was one of them, I worked at one in OKC in the early/mid-80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideatx04 View Post
I got a new one, Circle K, they were all over the place.
Circle K is coming back, they were caught up in all the Milken junk bond stuff that also caught Safeway back then. They are popping up all over OKC, they entered the market again by buying up some small chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Well I'm really starting to show my age... but there used to be a convenience store chain called U-Totem. There were at least a few up here in NW Austin.
U-Tote-M stores were in OKC as well.

Quote:
Here's an obscure one....

When Barton Creek Mall first opened, there was a sub shop called Greatest American Hero.
Was it Great American Hero? There is a chain in Dallas called that.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 7:55 AM

This is a cool thread I had forgotten about alot of the stores that have been mentioned on here. It got me thinking of some former chains here in SA. Did Austin have any of these?

Whopper Burger
GW Jr's
Sizzler
Hometown Buffet
and just recently back in SA, Carl's Jr. It left about 20 or so years ago and they just started opening new restaurants in SA metro this year.
Builders Square (later became HQ shortly before they closed).
Weberg Furniture
Levitz Furniture

Some of what I remember from back in the day

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Does anyone remember Highland Electronics? There used to be one located on Ben White near Manchaca next to the Randalls.
I remember it. I bought a washer & dryer from that location in 1987.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 6:07 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
Did Austin have any of these?

Whopper Burger
GW Jr's
Sizzler
Hometown Buffet
and just recently back in SA, Carl's Jr. It left about 20 or so years ago and they just started opening new restaurants in SA metro this year.
Builders Square (later became HQ shortly before they closed).
Weberg Furniture
Levitz Furniture

Some of what I remember from back in the day
I vaguely remember Hardee's (which is part of Carl's Jr.) having a location somewhere on Burnet.

We had Weberg Furniture and of course Levitz (which was a national chain - Sandra Bernhard mentions 'cluster globe lamps from Levitz furniture' back in one of her standup routines).

We also had Builders Square, the only location I remember was on Steck Avenue.

And I recall a Sizzler being located at 183 and Georgian (right near 35), I think it was across from the Red Lobster, which has always been a Red Lobster since the early 70's.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 6:13 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Anyone remember McDuff electronics? There was one on Burnet & 183, and in the Lakehills Shopping Center on Ben White at S Lamar. They were around well into the 90s. More recently, there was Rex electronics. How about Frisco electronics? Yes, I hung out at electronics stores frequently as akid.
I remember McDuff from their print circulars in the sunday Statesman. I used to be the kind of kid who would circle expensive stereos or TV's and beg my mother to buy them. Wasn't there a McNair's too?

Is A&B TV still around? They also used to do a lot of print advertising, but it always seemed surprising that they remained in business.

Did anyone ever go to Computer City near Highland Mall?

Best brands, super selection, great prices!!!!

The fact that I remember their exact slogan, plus the chord progression of the oh-so-early 90's male singer, is a sign of a truly pathetic nerd.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 10:37 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando
Builders Square
Yes, we had a Builder's Square. They built their first store here around ~1992 I believe. It was located at the end of Brodie Lane at Ben White/Texas 71 near Loop 1 in Southwest Austin/Sunset Valley. Home Depot built one of their first Austin stores just down the street that year too. My dad closed in our carport and made it into a room. We used to go back and forth between Builder's Square and Home Depot. Builder's Square here though, was replaced with a Lowes. In 2006, Lowes built a new larger store down the street closer to Home Depot, and the old building is now a Sam's Club.

I vaguely remember the name Levitz Furniture. I don't think we ever went though.

And the Sizzler, I don't know if they ever had an Austin location. Anyone else know? Whenever I hear their name, I think of Ghostbusters. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter
I vaguely remember Hardee's (which is part of Carl's Jr.) having a location somewhere on Burnet.
There used to be a Hardee's at South Congress & Ben White. They weren't there long, and later became a Checker's. I'm not even sure if that building is still there now. I haven't noticed it, that corner has changed a bit with a new bank and park and ride for CapMetro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter
Wasn't there a McNair's too?
Yep, and there was a McDade's too. They sold large appliances. I think my parents bought a washer and dryer there once, or at least were shopping for one anyway.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 10:45 PM
Meh

I doubt anyone will remember this one, as I believe there was just one location, but what about Furrow's? It was a lumber yard/builder's store on South Congress.

They had a location on South Congress & Radam Lane next to the train tracks there near Ben White. My oldest cousin worked there for years in the lumber yard and later became a manager. I remember going there with my dad. We'd always park in the side parking lot and I'd always look to see if my cousin Oliver's blue pick up was parked outside. Those were the days. My brother and I would bug our dad for some change to hit up the soda machines. Those were the days before Austin had mega builder stores like Home Depot, Builder's Square and Lowes. They also sold stuff inside the building just like you'd find at Home Depot. They finally went out of business around 1994 I believe, after that my cousin retired. The building now hoses an Enterprise car rental place, and next door is the Salvation Army's south location.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 11:32 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I vaguely remember the name Levitz Furniture. I don't think we ever went though.

And the Sizzler, I don't know if they ever had an Austin location.

There used to be a Hardee's at South Congress & Ben White
There were 3 Furrow's around Austin. Lamar, just N of 183, Pond Springs and Anderson Mill Rd (NW Austin) and the S Congress store you mention.

I recall there being a Sizzler on Burnet Road, near Top Notch.

Remember Western Sizzlin' Steakhouse? There were several around town. The one I remember was on 183, between Lamar and I-35. The building was torn down to make way for 183 expansion.

There was a Hardee's in Round Rock, in the Garden Ridge Pottery outlot. Its now a Hooters.

Speaking of... the Garden Ridge store used to be an indoor outlet mall. They had more shoe stores per capita than Imelda Marcos' closet.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 12:17 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
I remember McDuff from their print circulars in the sunday Statesman. I used to be the kind of kid who would circle expensive stereos or TV's and beg my mother to buy them. Wasn't there a McNair's too?

Is A&B TV still around? They also used to do a lot of print advertising, but it always seemed surprising that they remained in business.

Did anyone ever go to Computer City near Highland Mall?

Best brands, super selection, great prices!!!!

The fact that I remember their exact slogan, plus the chord progression of the oh-so-early 90's male singer, is a sign of a truly pathetic nerd.
A&B TV is still around, in the same location (W Anderson Ln). My parents bought a 27'' Quasar console television there in the early 80s. They specialize now in high end televisions.

Spent many weekends at Computer City... It later became a CompUSA (briefly), then a K&G Menswear outlet, and now a Specs Liquor superstore.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 11:33 PM

I remember Furrows, never went there, but it had a green logo that arched.

I got one, that no one seems to have mentioned, only the greatest 2 places for a kid/teen to hang out in the 80's, the Goldmine in Highland Mall and Le Fun on the drag!!!

Ahhh many a game was beat by this lil gamesmaster!! Speaking of games, I completely and totally geeked out when I saw the commercial for the new Punch Out!!!!! OMG, I finally have a reason to buy the Wii!!! First one on my block to beat the original!!!

Anyhow as a lil kid, the Goldmine was dark and creepy, but as I got older, you could not pry me away from there!!

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 2:23 AM
passion for patterns

I used to go to Le Fun!

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 3:29 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
I remember Furrows, never went there, but it had a green logo that arched.

I got one, that no one seems to have mentioned, only the greatest 2 places for a kid/teen to hang out in the 80's, the Goldmine in Highland Mall and Le Fun on the drag!!!

Ahhh many a game was beat by this lil gamesmaster!! Speaking of games, I completely and totally geeked out when I saw the commercial for the new Punch Out!!!!! OMG, I finally have a reason to buy the Wii!!! First one on my block to beat the original!!!

Anyhow as a lil kid, the Goldmine was dark and creepy, but as I got older, you could not pry me away from there!!
I do remember the Goldmine and Le Fun. Le Fun also had a location on Lamar/Rundberg that I used to frequent! Also I remember Skate World that was at Rutland and Lamar next to the HEB. I used to cut many lawns just so I could get me some Skate World money for the weekend!

Question??? Wasn't the game room at Barton Creek called Aladian's Castle?

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 2:24 PM

I vaguely remember a place called Book-Stop. It had a stop sign for a logo. I think it used to be in the Westgate Mall and moved to Brodie shopping center, which then turned into a Starbucks.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 5:30 PM
Meh

Yep. I used to go to Book Stop with my uncle at the one on Brodie. It was basically replaced with Barnes & Noble.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 2:17 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLove View Post
I do remember the Goldmine and Le Fun. Le Fun also had a location on Lamar/Rundberg that I used to frequent! Also I remember Skate World that was at Rutland and Lamar next to the HEB. I used to cut many lawns just so I could get me some Skate World money for the weekend!

Question??? Wasn't the game room at Barton Creek called Aladian's Castle?
They had a Skate World at Anderson Mill and 183 that I used to frequent for years.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 4:15 PM

They also had a LeFun on Burnet Road, 2 shopping centers away from Northrcross, right before you got to another favorite place of mine that we would frequent quite often....Showbiz Pizza Place!!!

I would go every Wednesday with our neighbor. And of course I would go alot with my mom and her boyfriend!!! Ahhh pizza, games, tickets, all that it took to keep a kid happy!!!! The simple pleasures of life! Sad to see Billy Bob and the gang replaced by a Rat!!! I used to love that Dog with the space theme!!! Ahh the Rock-A-Fire Explosion!!!http://rock_afire.tripod.com/

Oh and I don't remember Aladin's Castle, cause Barton Creek was too far when I was a kid!! I think before I was 18 I had only gone there minimum of 5-10 times. However there was a Goldmine at Northcross!!

Anyone live around the Airport Blvd area?? Did anyone frequent Tasty Freeze?? That place had some good burgers!!! Used to walk there on my way to Toys R Us in Capital Plaza!! Remember back then you had to purchase slips for NES games and ring them up at the cashier and then walk over to the cage to get your games or system!!!

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 5:59 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Not a chain store but did anyone else go to Malibu Grand Prix!!!! It was located off 35 between St. Johns and 183.... Celebration Station on the opposite side of motor mile!!! Used to frequent those places also!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin