HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 2:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From "the Sleuth"

Politicians and football have a rich history.

Who can forget that classic photo of poor PC Leader Robert Stanfield fumbling the football during an election campaign in 1972. Then there was Pierre Elliot Trudeau, confidently making contact with the pigskin during the ceremonial opening kickoff of a Grey Cup game.

Sleuth hears there will be some more intrigue involving some of New Brunswick's own politicians at this weekend's big Grey Cup shindig in Montreal.

Sources close to Premier Shawn Graham tell us that Shawn and Moncton East MLA Chris Collins are in Montreal this weekend, not just to watch tomorrow's showdown between the Alouettes and Calgary Stampeders. They have real business to attend to.

It seems the premier and Collins will be bending the arm and ear of CFL commissioner Mark Cohon on the possibility of a series of CFL games in Moncton. New Brunswick's political quarterback and his trusty receiver will be attending the commissioner's Grey Cup luncheon and have arranged some face-to-face time with Cohon.

If you have driven lately on Morton Avenue, you have probably noticed the steel skeleton taking shape of Moncton's new 20,000 seat outdoor track stadium.

Cohon said Friday in Montreal that Moncton's new stadium would make a great test market for the CFL game. He confirmed talks are under way to hold the first in a series of games at the stadium in 2010.

"I do believe there are opportunities to expand our reach into those markets," Cohon said of Quebec City, Moncton and Halifax.

"That (Moncton facility) has the ability to expand up to 20,000 (seats), so we are looking at an opportunity in 2010."

The premier also thinks the stadium would be a great location to host some CFL tilts over the next number of years. The league has been tempted a few times to look eastward for expansion. Setting up some games in Moncton might be a great way to test the waters.

Seems that it isn't only the Mayor involved in promoting Moncton to the CFL. It looks like Premier Graham is deep into it as well.

So....what's Rodney doing these days?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 10:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Metro told to 'go for it'
Published Tuesday November 25th, 2008

Premier, Moncton MLA meet with CFL officials, say league 'extremely enthusiastic' about bringing pro football games to Metro

By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

Moncton East MLA Chris Collins says he can't wait to attend his first tailgate party on the Université de Moncton campus.

While there's no contract signed, Collins and Premier Shawn Graham returned from weekend meetings with the Canadian Football League confident the new stadium being built in Collins' riding can play a role in the growth of the league's fan base in Atlantic Canada.

Graham and Collins attended the Grey Cup as guests of CFL commissioner Mark Cohon, and among their meetings over the weekend was one with Cohon, the league's board of governors and owners from every CFL team.

"We had a terrific discussion," Collins said. "They were extremely interested in Moncton."

The idea of playing one to two regular season games per year in Moncton over the course of five years, beginning in 2010, was the main theme of the discussion.

"I was approached by two owners after the meeting and they said, 'go for it,'" Collins said.

As well, the CFL commissioner promised he would visit early in the new year to meet with provincial and City of Moncton officials to continue negotiations.

On Friday, Cohon told a news conference that Moncton was in its sights for spreading Canadian football into Atlantic Canada.

Collins said the province would be on board to help the City of Moncton and the league come up with whatever was necessary to make the venue work for holding games.

The idea of drawing the CFL experience to Metro Moncton has been floated for a number of years now, first championed by Moncton Mayor Lorne Mitton and Moncton North MLA Michael Murphy.

Current Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc has followed up at the municipal level and now Collins says he is happy to pick up what Mike Murphy started while Murphy focuses on his Health portfolio.

While concerns arose about the region's ability to draw enough fans to permanently support a professional sports franchise, the idea of hosting some games here has the league giving Metro Moncton a second look.

The stadium that would make all of this possible is under construction on the UdeM campus in preparation for Metro Moncton's hosting of the 2010 IAAF World Junior Track and Field championships. Those games will be the largest sporting event ever held in Atlantic Canada, hosting more than 2,000 athletes from more than 170 countries.

The stadium will have 10,000 permanent seats with capability to add 10,000 more temporary seats.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 6:06 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Metro told to 'go for it'
Published Tuesday November 25th, 2008

Premier, Moncton MLA meet with CFL officials, say league 'extremely enthusiastic' about bringing pro football games to Metro

By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

The stadium that would make all of this possible is under construction on the UdeM campus in preparation for Metro Moncton's hosting of the 2010 IAAF World Junior Track and Field championships. Those games will be the largest sporting event ever held in Atlantic Canada, hosting more than 2,000 athletes from more than 170 countries.

The stadium will have 10,000 permanent seats with capability to add 10,000 more temporary seats.

As I am completely unaware as to the layout of this new stadium, I hope it will be capable of hosting a CFL team.... ie: expandable towards the mid 20 thousands.

I would expect the CFL to test the market with some exhibition games in the coming years before comitting to anything.

Here's hoping Moncton's becomes a CFL city

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 9:26 PM

If a team were ever to come to Moncton, what do you guys think of something like this? I thought it'd be appropriate with Moncton's rail road history. It also has nothing to do with fishing or boats of any kind, so that has to be a plus right? lol

"Moncton" could easily be replaced with "Maritime" or "Atlantic" if they went with a regional name.

Last edited by David_99; Dec 1, 2008 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 1:56 AM

Quote:
It also has nothing to do with fishing or boats of any kind, so that has to be a plus right? lol
Is there some problem with fishing and/or boats that I am not aware of? I think we should embrace our stereotypes! Why not call them the Moncton Seasonal-EI-Recipients? It has a nice ring to it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Is there some problem with fishing and/or boats that I am not aware of? I think we should embrace our stereotypes! Why not call them the Moncton Seasonal-EI-Recipients? It has a nice ring to it.
Haha, this is true. What was I thinking?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 2:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I've already complimented your proposed logo in the Moncton thread but I'll do it again here anyway. I like this a lot. It ties into Moncton's railway heritage really well.

The emblem conveys an impression of strength and power. The locomotive emerging over the top of the football is really quite compelling.

I like the name "Moncton Express" very much. If however it is decided to call the team the "Maritime whatevers", I don't think the locomotive motif would be quite as meaningful. The "Maritime Mackerels" might require a dory in the logo rather than a locomotive.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 11:12 PM

CFL in the Maritimes

I know i posted this before, but i'll post it again.

The only way a CFL team would work in any city in the Martimes is if it was Martime promoted as a Maritime team. Can’t be the Halifax ….or the Moncton… It would have to be the Maritime Marauders for example. You could set the head office for Halifax, stadium in Moncton and training camps and some other function out of Saint John. Promote it as a Maritime team and have local promotion in newspapers and radio that promote it as “our” Martime team. Calling it “Moncton’s team” or “Halifax’s team” won’t work, no local market that small would have enough to support.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball 23 View Post

The only way a CFL team would work in any city in the Martimes is if it was Martime promoted as a Maritime team. Can’t be the Halifax ….or the Moncton… It would have to be the Maritime Marauders for example. You could set the head office for Halifax, stadium in Moncton and training camps and some other function out of Saint John. Promote it as a Maritime team and have local promotion in newspapers and radio that promote it as “our” Martime team. Calling it “Moncton’s team” or “Halifax’s team” won’t work, no local market that small would have enough to support.
I second this, I think for the market to adopt the team given the staunch internal divisions within the Maritimes, it would have to be a regional team from the organization itself right down to the name.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball 23 View Post

Very true...it is the only way it would work.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 1:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I second this, I think for the market to adopt the team given the staunch internal divisions within the Maritimes, it would have to be a regional team from the organization itself right down to the name.

OK, The Maritime Express it is then.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 1:38 AM

Heard on CTV news tonight that with the bid from SMU to host the Vanier cup for 2010-11 talk is starting up again about building a staduim in Halifax.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 6:19 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Heard on CTV news tonight that with the bid from SMU to host the Vanier cup for 2010-11 talk is starting up again about building a staduim in Halifax.
Well the Vanier Cup has become a very big event.. if Halifax wins the bid and builds a stadium able to hold over 30,000 fans, there is little doubt in my mind a CFL team to follow. The only thing holding back any possible bid for a CFL franchise in Halifax or Moncton is the lack of a suitable stadium.

Either way I want to see an east coast team in the CFL.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 8:01 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Well the Vanier Cup has become a very big event.. if Halifax wins the bid and builds a stadium able to hold over 30,000 fans, there is little doubt in my mind a CFL team to follow. The only thing holding back any possible bid for a CFL franchise in Halifax or Moncton is the lack of a suitable stadium.

Either way I want to see an east coast team in the CFL.
I like the idea. Pacific to Atlantic

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 6:49 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
I like the idea. Pacific to Atlantic
Exactly!!!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 3:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CFL sees future in N.B.
Published Saturday February 7th, 2009

League games to form centrepiece of annual events
By Jesse Robichaud
Times & Transcript Staff

The Canadian Football League is rumbling slowly but surely toward Moncton en route to its goal of becoming a truly coast-to-coast circuit.

Ian Fowler, left, of Moncton's Recreation, Parks, Tourism and Culture department; Mark Cohon, CFL commissioner; Chris Collins, Moncton East MLA; and Rob Assimakopolous, the CFL's senior vice-president of marketing and commercial assets, visit the new stadium under construction at l'Universite de Moncton.

CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon was in Moncton yesterday meeting with Mayor George LeBlanc and staff after meeting with Premier Shawn Graham at his office in Fredericton.

They discussed the creation a new annual weekend celebration of football in Moncton that could kick off as soon as fall 2010.

The annual weekend would revolve around a regular season CFL game between two rivals, a high-profile university football match that would draw students from across the Maritimes, and likely quite a bit of tailgate revelling.

"We see it as an opportunity to expand our base and use it as a platform to really celebrate football, trying to make the league coat to coast," said Cohon.

"We are looking at a multi-year commitment to try to bring a regular season game out here, and really create a fun weekend around it "¦ create a mini Grey Cup," said Cohon.

In addition to the new stadium that is currently under construction on the Université de Moncton campus, Cohon said the CFL is drawn to Moncton by the popularity of football east of Quebec, and Moncton's ability to draw fans from across the region.

"In talking to the premier and the mayor it is a great city for pulling for events because you can pull from PEI, you can pull from Halifax and across New Brunswick."

Premier Shawn Graham and Moncton-East Liberal MLA Chris Collins travelled to Montreal last fall to meet with Cohon and CFL team owners during last fall's Grey Cup to discuss bringing CFL football to Moncton.

Graham said yesterday that the Atlantic Bowl fits into his government's vision of Moncton as the entertainment hub of Atlantic Canada.

"The fact that the commissioner has taken time out of his schedule to be here speaks volumes for his commitment of trying to develop and Atlantic Bowl that is going to be positioned in Moncton."

Graham said each level of government has a role to play in making the event happen. He said there is still plenty of preparatory work to do, but he said the payoff is worth the investment.

"The tourism revenue that would be generated, plus the promotional material having TSN here for a weekend event promoting the region, you can't buy that kind of coverage," said Graham.

"The fact that CFL is looking at establishing a toe hold in Atlantic Canada and is choosing Moncton I think is a pretty exciting time."

The City of Moncton's major event czar, Ian Fowler, said there was much progress made in yesterday's discussions.

He said it is just a matter of time before the Atlantic Bowl becomes a reality.

"As Mayor LeBlanc has indicated to the commissioner he is most interested in moving this forward," said Fowler.

"With the support of our local MLAs this is going to become a reality."

Fowler said there are still many details and numbers to work out, but he said the political will is firmly in place.

"The important thing step is there is a commitment form the CFL, there is a commitment form the Province of New Brunswick, and there is a commitment from the City of Moncton," said Fowler.

"The will is there and everybody wants to make this happen so we as staff have some work to do."

As for fans who dream of a CFL team that Moncton can call its own, Cohon said it is best to take the growing partnership one step at a time.

"Let's walk before we run," said Cohon with a quick smile.

"I think this is great way for us to build a base. Obviously there are issues and opportunities we would have to address. Most of our stadiums have 30,000 seats."

The stadium that is currently being built on the U de M campus will have 10,000 permanent seats with capability to add 10,000 more temporary seats.

Cohon has made it clear that said the league is in a position to look at expanding as stadium attendance and television ratings have climbed in recent years.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 1:40 AM

Just a quick question, why isn't Halifax getting a move on things in terms of wanting the CFL?

Has there been any discussion locally in regards to talking to the commissioners on getting a team or even a few games as well?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 6:27 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw31 View Post
Just a quick question, why isn't Halifax getting a move on things in terms of wanting the CFL?

Has there been any discussion locally in regards to talking to the commissioners on getting a team or even a few games as well?
That's what Halifax does. They drag their feet, talk about it, get cold feet, and little ever tends to get done. The blame rests with the municipal government, the Nova Scotia government, and the local business community there.

The Commonwealth Games fiasco is a good example and quite typical of how things work in that province. Halifax had it's chance. It's quite telling that a city not even a third the size of Halifax might just steal this away from them.

It's a shame because Haligonians would really embrace pro football. College football is arguably the biggest sport in that city, so its fertile ground for the CFL.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 8:39 PM

No offense to Moncton, but I rather see Halifax get a CFL team.
But does Halifax still have a chance. And if Moncton did get a team, there would be almost zero chance of Halifax getting one right?
Anyway, if Halifax were to get a team I would be the first one there watching.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 9:21 PM
Nashwaaksissy

In a nutshell:

Moncton thinks big...perhaps too big.
Halifax thinks small...perhaps too small.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces