HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
Trump and 210 Trade I would consider pretty much dead unless a solid news source comes out saying otherwise.

Also, the 30 floor 1 Bank of America is finally going up. The concrete core is several floors above ground now and the steel should be following it shortly. The Aloft hotel recently opened, but the Ritz-Carlton is still a little ways away from completion.

You can see the angle on the steel work for the Wellschovia in the photos above.
Trump is definately dead, I don't know about 210. Ghazi is shopping for a new developer. 210 still has presales for construction. I wouldn't count it out til Ghazi says its over.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:03 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitfirefighter13 View Post
thanks initial. i saw the framing started on "wellschovia" (haha), i just wasnt sure how much progress had been made in the past couple of weeks. too bad about 210 and trump. those would have been awesome additions to the skyline. anybody have any input to the actual "liveability" of the CBD? other than the obvious highrise projects, is there anything to bring people in past 6pm on the weekdays? (ie mixed use, bars, retail, grocery stores, etc?) this is a problem raleigh has had for years and is just now starting to address. im considering a move to charlotte by summer. so far from what i hear, i think NoDa would suit me the best, but im also considering southend too. any thoughts? what are some neighborhoods to try and avoid so i dont get "homicided?"
Since 2000 there has been a large growth of bars and restaurants uptown. Also, remember that by 2010 the NASCAR Hall of Fame, Bechtler Art Museum, new Mint Museum, 1,200 seat Knight theater, and African American cultural center will be opening. Also, don't forget that the TWC arena opened several years ago and is home to the NBA Bobcats and ECHL (minor league hockey) Checkers, in addition to concerts.

The biggest thing to happen to uptown was the Epicenter development. Off the top of my head, the list of occupants includes the bars/nightclubs Howl at the Moon, Suite, Whiskey River, and restaurants and shops such as Blackfin, Wild Wings, Jason's Deli, Cold Stone, Five Guys, CVS, and an upscale movie theater and a bowling alley.

As far as neighborhoods, Southend has several transit-orented residential developments under construction. There's also NoDa and Plaza-Midwood, in addition to the four wards in center city (uptown).

Another up-and-coming area is SoDa/Optimist Park (SoDa for "south of NoDa" - lame, I know). This is the area between NoDa and uptown, and will be located along the NE light rail extension. The crime rate is still relatively high, but there is some good development here that will hopefully stabilize the neighborhood, along with the light rail line that should also bring new development. Here are are few photos of this area:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 4:27 PM

again, thanks alot initial for the info. sounds like charlotte is coming along nicely. cant wait to check it out.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 4:17 AM

All shots taken today.

Duke Energy Center (formerly known as Wachovia Corporate Center)

Bechtler Museum of Art:

Performing Arts Center (with 440 S. Church office building in the background, which topped out yesterday):

Mint Museum:

Catalyst residential tower and 440 S. Church office building:

440 S. Church:

Garrison at Graham condos:

Vue condos:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 9:04 PM

At one time I did not think the Garrison and Vue would be built.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTNC View Post
At one time I did not think the Garrison and Vue would be built.
Haha, yea, its pretty funny, the projects with the best chance, 210 trade, 300 South Tryon, and the Park all had halts in planning/construction, even though they were all between 60-90% soldout. Yet two buildings with the least presales and the least central locations get built. Whatever, I'm just happy we are getting something for now. I still have hope for 210 trade and 300 S. Tryon getting built somehow, the park will hopefully be completed for some possible use.

On another note, Bechtler is now by far the most interesting and innovative building in the entire city of charlotte. Incredible to have the 2nd Mario Botta building in the entire USA.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 3:37 AM

I still want to see 300 S Tryon built.

Anybody know the status of Encore?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
I still want to see 300 S Tryon built.

Anybody know the status of Encore?
Its waiting on one more condo purchase to meet presales. They are on like their 3rd extension on their financing.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 6:59 PM

Man, they had better be advertising pretty hard. We need to get as many vacant lots on Tryon filled as soon as possible.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 3:17 AM

amazing!

Wow! That is an unbelievable amount of development for that size of a city! I was in Charlotte, back in late 2000, and it looks as if the skyline has almost doubled. It is really neat to see all the infill that is going in like the new ballpark, and intermodal station, and adjacent theater, and tower. The new light rail looks ultra cool, too. or is that a street car?
Btw, does anyone know who the architects are for the Nascar hall of fame, and the striking new Wachovia? Tower?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 6:08 AM

A city its size? This is Charlotte of 2009. Charlotte is the 17th largest city in the country... I appreciate the compliments. Nascar Hall of Fame is by the ultra-famous Pei Cobb Freed & Partners. http://www.pcfandp.com/. Wachovia is by Thompson, Ventulett, Stainback & Associates aka TVSA, not as famous but a fantastic architectural firm. That is a light rail system, definately not a street car.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 2:29 PM

I believe he was referencing the size of the Charlotte area which is considered a small to mid sized city. You cant really judge how large a "city" is based on the population of the principal city. The metro numbers are really what matters.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantan26 View Post
I believe he was referencing the size of the Charlotte area which is considered a small to mid sized city. You cant really judge how large a "city" is based on the population of the principal city. The metro numbers are really what matters.
I don't think there is a single educated person who considers charlotte a small to mid sized city. Mid sized yes, SMALL? no. 25th largest metro in the USA...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantan26 View Post
Yeah sounds like a quote from someone from Atlanta considering the actual city population is smaller then Charlottes .....do tell.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 3:48 PM

WOOO HOOOOOO, Charlotte getting an iconic and ultramod structure. ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac1 View Post
Yeah sounds like a quote from someone from Atlanta considering the actual city population is smaller than Charlottes .....do tell.
good point. Charlottes city limits population is bigger then Atlanta's and look at how much larger the Atlanta region is. so with that said you really do need to judge an area by its metro population.

Last edited by Atlantan26; Mar 19, 2009 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydavisfan21 View Post

WOOO HOOOOOO, Charlotte getting an iconic and ultramod structure. ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME!
quoting myself to get this back on topic!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 5:43 PM
Oak City

Quote:
quoting myself to get this back on topic!
Aw sweet bejesus this thing is hawt. The initial "stand in" rendering was so dull - it was a typical brick 5 or 6 floor bland schoolhouse looking building. THIS is what I really wanted. Here's the link to the Charlotte Observer article.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 5:49 PM

Quote:
I don't think there is a single educated person who considers charlotte a small to mid sized city. Mid sized yes, SMALL? no. 25th largest metro in the USA...
34th largest metro is more accurate (July 2008 numbers).

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 3:16 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
34th largest metro is more accurate (July 2008 numbers).
I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at, but Charlotte is 25th (24th if you don't count San Juan, PR) by July 2008 numbers. See this thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast