HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:48 AM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,802
AGORA Plateau | U/C

Le Plateau is fast becoming one of Gatineau's densest areas (hence named for Le Plateau in Montreal) with hundreds of condo buildings along the main thoroughfare of the same and secondary streets running north to Pink Road. But up until now, it is still a dismal car-centric suburban area. But this might change (somewhat) with an impressive new "Coeur du Village" that will feature the new "AGORA" development, arguably one of the best suburban developments we've seen in the region;

- $250 million project;
- 5 storey buildings, with retail on the ground floor, office space on the second floor and residential on the upper floors;
- One or two 10 storey buildings
- 600 residential units;
- Total of 210,000 square feet of office space;
- 120,000 square feet of commercial space;
- 80,000 square feet of "public space" (parks and plazas? There has been talk of a farmers market);


https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/g...9b3287da95c463


https://agora-plateau.com/

Adjacent to this development, the City of Gatineau is building a brand new 18,000 square foot library, the result of a design competition, within a new central park.


https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...theque-plateau

Here's a view of the area's layout, showing AGORA on the right and the central park in the centre. The library is marked with a star.


http://www.gatineau.ca/portail/defau...&id=-910107306

To that, there is the possibility that light-rail transit could be added within the next 10 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:01 AM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wakefield, QC
Posts: 2,643
That's actually pretty cool. There is now hope that the Plateau will have restaurants beyond Boston Pizza, a Shawarma Shop, a Pizza place, a Sushi place and a convenience store A&W.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:17 AM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,802
I would love to see something similar to this at Place d'Orléans, but with the addition of a few towers closer to the rail line. With Shenkman, the City of Ottawa offices and the cinema, the area already has a head start.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 1:20 PM
FutureWickedCity's Avatar
FutureWickedCity FutureWickedCity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 218
Loving the Parisian vibe! If they end up running light rail to Aylmer, this will weigh in favour of the Plateau route vs. the Aylmer Road route.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 1:26 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
That's actually pretty cool. There is now hope that the Plateau will have restaurants beyond Boston Pizza, a Shawarma Shop, a Pizza place, a Sushi place and a convenience store A&W.
Those chains are already present in other areas of the Plateau 1 km away. But I guess there is room for an extra shawarma and pizza place. Moxie's are not present in Gatineau yet so I would not be surprised if they picked this spot for their first location in Quebec outside Montreal. There is already a Starbucks a few km away at Vanier/Allumettières, so I guess we will see a Second Cup or Moca Loca there as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 1:50 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
Astineux
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada (see below*)
Posts: 47,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Those chains are already present in other areas of the Plateau 1 km away. But I guess there is room for an extra shawarma and pizza place. Moxie's are not present in Gatineau yet so I would not be surprised if they picked this spot for their first location in Quebec outside Montreal. There is already a Starbucks a few km away at Vanier/Allumettières, so I guess we will see a Second Cup or Moca Loca there as well.
I think a new nice(r) sit-down restaurant just opened recently in the Plateau. I believe it's Moxies-style but not a chain I am pretty sure. Can't recall the name.

I saw some people on FB were at the opening.
__________________
*An assembly of shareholders that likes to pretend it is a close-knit family, in order to maintain access to grandpa's inheritance.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:14 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,063
The market is nearly saturated and I don't see any of the usual players willing to open a new place there since they are all present in the area or not far away in Aylmer/Hull. That could work in Ottawa, but in Gatineau a new location halfway between Aylmer and Hull will likely cannibalize their other markets.

Besides Moxie's, the only restaurant chain I am thinking that could have an interest is La Cage, especially since they have been rumored to open a restaurant in Hull for at least 2 years now (and I saw in a different thread that McDonald's could be opposed to them opening a new place next door on St-Raymond).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:14 PM
Horus's Avatar
Horus Horus is offline
I ask because I Gatineau
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylmer (by way of GTA)
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
That's actually pretty cool. There is now hope that the Plateau will have restaurants beyond Boston Pizza, a Shawarma Shop, a Pizza place, a Sushi place and a convenience store A&W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think a new nice(r) sit-down restaurant just opened recently in the Plateau. I believe it's Moxies-style but not a chain I am pretty sure. Can't recall the name.

I saw some people on FB were at the opening.
Yeah, the convenience store A&W is gone and has been replaced by Sesame, a more sit-down style, licensed, Asian restaurant. It was under construction the last time I stopped for shawarma, but looked to be opening soon (and is probably open now as Acajack indicates).

Regardless, there are few quality restaurant options in Plateau
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:21 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
Astineux
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada (see below*)
Posts: 47,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Yeah, the convenience store A&W is gone and has been replaced by Sesame, a more sit-down style, licensed, Asian restaurant. It was under construction the last time I stopped for shawarma, but looked to be opening soon (and is probably open now as Acajack indicates).

Regardless, there are few quality restaurant options in Plateau
That's it - Sésame. It is a chain, but a Quebec-based one with locations in Montreal and Quebec City.
__________________
*An assembly of shareholders that likes to pretend it is a close-knit family, in order to maintain access to grandpa's inheritance.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:25 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
Astineux
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada (see below*)
Posts: 47,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
The market is nearly saturated and I don't see any of the usual players willing to open a new place there since they are all present in the area or not far away in Aylmer/Hull. That could work in Ottawa, but in Gatineau a new location halfway between Aylmer and Hull will likely cannibalize their other markets.

Besides Moxie's, the only restaurant chain I am thinking that could have an interest is La Cage, especially since they have been rumored to open a restaurant in Hull for at least 2 years now (and I saw in a different thread that McDonald's could be opposed to them opening a new place next door on St-Raymond).
Since the new restaurant is Asian (also not in the Coeur du Plateau), that might leave some room for a Moxie's or something in that style.

I bet La Cage would prefer a more central location, not too far from the Casino. If they can't build next to McDonald's they could build across the road in the parking of Place Cartier.
__________________
*An assembly of shareholders that likes to pretend it is a close-knit family, in order to maintain access to grandpa's inheritance.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 11:43 AM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,802
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 12:32 PM
sseguin sseguin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 129
Does anyone know what they are building right next to the Cage in the Plateau?

Interesting how alot of developments in this area don't have signage or any notices posted to announce whatsoever what is going up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 12:57 PM
Horus's Avatar
Horus Horus is offline
I ask because I Gatineau
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylmer (by way of GTA)
Posts: 1,041
No hint in the site plan.

Would be nice if it were another restaurant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 1:11 PM
sseguin sseguin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 129
I’ll probably get wacked with a chicken wing for saying this but I’d love to see a St Hubert resto go up there or in the Plateau in general.

Last edited by sseguin; Jun 29, 2019 at 2:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 1:52 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
Astineux
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada (see below*)
Posts: 47,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That looks far better than anywhere in Gatineau right now. Even downtown.
__________________
*An assembly of shareholders that likes to pretend it is a close-knit family, in order to maintain access to grandpa's inheritance.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 3:01 AM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 16,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
No hint in the site plan.

Would be nice if it were another restaurant.
Nope. I think it's this..

https://www.anytimefitness.com/gyms/...au-qc-j9a-0c7/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 2:56 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That looks far better than anywhere in Gatineau right now. Even downtown.
Yup, we need more of this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:14 AM
kevinbottawa kevinbottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,081
I'm jealous. This better than anything in Ottawa. It would be nice is the town centres in Orleans, Kanata, Centrepointe or Barrhaven looked like this.
__________________
Ranting since 2014 at shiftermagazine.com/kevin-bourne
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:16 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
Astineux
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada (see below*)
Posts: 47,473
Let's not get too excited. It has not materialized yet.
__________________
*An assembly of shareholders that likes to pretend it is a close-knit family, in order to maintain access to grandpa's inheritance.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 2:31 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 16,913
They were pouring the foundation for the second building today. Lots of cement trucks on boul du Plateau this morning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:38 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.