HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:01 AM

PHILADELPHIA | 223 S. 6th Street (The Dilworth) | 172 FT | 12 FLOORS

Literally the bare minimum to qualify for its own thread:

Title: The Dilworth
Project: Residential
Architect: UNKNOWN
Developer: John Turchi
Neighborhood: Washington Square
District: Society Hill
Floors: 12 floors
Height: 172 feet

A new Washington Square high-rise? Philly developer tries again to build condo tower over Dilworth House
Quote:
A 12-story condo tower could soon rise above Philadelphia’s historic Dilworth House, according to zoning permits that were issued last month, potentially filling in the last developable lot on Washington Square.

Philadelphia developer John Turchi and his wife, Mary, applied in December for two zoning permits, records show, one that would consolidate the Dilworth House property into a single lot and another that would allow partial demolition of the structure to make room for a 10-unit tower.

Turchi’s high-rise proposal is the latest attempt by the developer to get a project at the Dilworth House off the ground — and, if he is successful, would add more pricey units to Philadelphia’s growing luxury real estate market. One of Turchi’s lawyers, Philip Rosenzweig, of Silverang, Donohoe, Rosenzweig & Haltzman LLC in St. Davids, said that the project would “obviously be very high-end” and would feature an automated valet parking system underground that could accommodate 20 spaces, zoning documents show. The tower, which would rise behind the Dilworth House’s front facade, would include a roof deck, balconies, and amenity spaces, according to the documents.
http://www.philly.com/real-estate/ho...-20190115.html
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...developed-soon

Last edited by summersm343; Oct 19, 2020 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:07 PM

Looks good! Can this project finally happen already??

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:32 AM

Huh. Didn't know they wanted to put a building on that lot. The design seems to blend in well with Washington Square, despite that modern-looking top. I like it.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:14 PM

Tough to beat a balcony overlooking washington square.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 11:23 AM
Midrise

Society Hill neighbors fight latest proposal for condo tower at the historic Dilworth House | Philly.com

Excerpt:
In its appeal, the Society Hill Civic Association argues that Turchi’s proposed high-rise violates zoning rules that govern the area near Independence Hall. Specifically, the groups allege that Turchi’s tower does not comply with setback requirements, meaning the amount of distance that a portion of a building is required to be from the street. In addition, the Society Hill Civic Association said, Turchi’s tower would extend past the Dilworth House’s current footprint — something they allege is not allowed for building lines established in the area after 1954.
“The zoning code has protections for properties near Independence National Historical Park,” said Paul Boni, chair of the Society Hill Civic Association’s Zoning and Historic Preservation Committee, adding that the group believes L&I’s decision was “an error.”

While the appeal hearing has not been scheduled in front of Philadelphia’s Zoning Board of Adjustment, it could threaten Turchi’s plans for the site. Since 2004, when Turchi introduced plans to demolish the house and build a condo tower in its place, neighbors have fought fiercely to keep it standing. Plans and appeals have wound their way all the way up to Pennsylvania’s Commonwealth Court. All the while, the house has sat abandoned, while other high-end condo buildings — including, most recently, developer Tom Scannapieco’s 500 Walnut tower — have risen in the area.
Still, even with the appeals submitted, Turchi is able to forge ahead. According to city spokesperson Paul Chrystie, developers typically can begin work on a property as soon as they have approvals from the required agencies, even before the zoning board renders a decision on the appeal. In this case, with Turchi’s zoning permits from L&I already secured, all that is likely standing in his way is Historical and Art Commission approvals before the final building permits are approved.

[snip]

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:55 PM

First of all, there are three buildings behind Independence Hall that are not set back at all. Not even that Franklin apartment building is set back. Since when has this rule been a thing?

Secondly, how is this building not set back enough? From what I've seen, they're keeping the facade and pushing the tower back. How is that not ok?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:02 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Do not underestimate the Society Hill NIMBYs. They've killed every previous iteration of this thing and, I'm certain, will continue to do so until that old house gets condemned and has to be bulldozed flat. They are the absolute worst in the city.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:04 PM

Yea and don't forget they defeated Alterra and their plans for a FOUR FUCKING STORY building where the Acme is. Alterra then signed Acme to a long term lease and is now selling the property. SH NIMBYs are definitely the worst, even moreso than Logan Square NIMBYs. It doesn't help that they're also super rich.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:21 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
How did Toll Brother's get the condo project done on Front St in Society Hill? Maybe a few lawyers or two that are absolute NIMBY's that have that axe to grind with developments not in their interest. I see that don't like highrises, per se, but I've noticed new construction for smaller projects in that area, especially higher end projects that concentrate the wealthy.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:15 PM

Fucking ridiculous honestly. Hasn't this been held up for 14 years due to SH Nimby's filing appeals and lawsuits?

This seems like a very reasonable proposal, which is set back almost an entire rowhome length from the street. What could they possibly be complaining about now?

This Paul Boni needs to have a complaint filed against him with the PA Bar Association. Ridiculous the amount of frivolous suits he files on behalf on NIMBYs.

The NIMBY's should be sued by Turchi for 14 years of loses and damages of holding onto this property and trying to get something going while these losers consistently derailed it. Hopefully it'll put a stop to the NIMBYism in the way the Old City Civic Association was forced to shut down.

The Acme project by Alterra, this, BPG's tower at the Sheraton site, AND Scannapieco's are all derailed or under the threat of being derailed by these NIMBYs.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Fucking ridiculous honestly. Hasn't this been held up for 14 years due to SH Nimby's filing appeals and lawsuits?

This seems like a very reasonable proposal, which is set back almost an entire rowhome length from the street. What could they possibly be complaining about now?

This Paul Boni needs to have a complaint filed against him with the PA Bar Association. Ridiculous the amount of frivolous suits he files on behalf on NIMBYs.

The NIMBY's should be sued by Turchi for 14 years of loses and damages of holding onto this property and trying to get something going while these losers consistently derailed it. Hopefully it'll put a stop to the NIMBYism in the way the Old City Civic Association was forced to shut down.

The Acme project by Alterra, this, BPG's tower at the Sheraton site, AND Scannapieco's are all derailed or under the threat of being derailed by these NIMBYs.
I would file one. But I'd need a list of the projects he opposes and clear evidence that all or most were frivolous objections, and the latter history of the projects.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I would file one. But I'd need a list of the projects he opposes and clear evidence that all or most were frivolous objections, and the latter history of the projects.
I emailed Rosenzweig and asked him if the thought a bar complaint against Boni would have merit.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Isn't Boni just serving the needs of his clients, so to speak? Just another hired gun, where the real issue is the people who write the checks that pay the hired guns?

I know that there are some law suits that question whether a variance was given out in the proper way and other similar matters, that have taken years and years to unroll through the courts. But so far it sounds like the complaint is saying things like the code requires a set back of 25' (just a guess) and this project shows a set back of 23'. I would like to think that somebody with a tape measure could resolve that type of issue pretty fast. If it were only that easy! But getting the easy issues out of the way early and quickly might allow this project to get started, as mentioned in a posting above while the hired guns fight it out about the more complicated points.

This needs to be built.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Isn't Boni just serving the needs of his clients, so to speak? Just another hired gun, where the real issue is the people who write the checks that pay the hired guns?

I know that there are some law suits that question whether a variance was given out in the proper way and other similar matters, that have taken years and years to unroll through the courts. But so far it sounds like the complaint is saying things like the code requires a set back of 25' (just a guess) and this project shows a set back of 23'. I would like to think that somebody with a tape measure could resolve that type of issue pretty fast. If it were only that easy! But getting the easy issues out of the way early and quickly might allow this project to get started, as mentioned in a posting above while the hired guns fight it out about the more complicated points.

This needs to be built.
Paul Boni is the Chair of the Zoning Committee of the Society Hill Civic Association. I would assume the lawsuits are on behalf of the Civic Association.

https://societyhillcivic.org/blog/service/zoning/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post

This needs to be built.
I'm sure he would say that. It depends how baseless the lawsuits are. We cannot file frivolous, bad faith lawsuits because our clients want us to and will pay us to do so. There would really have to be no legal merit to the Association's arguments to stop the build. A flawed but reasonable interpretation probably doesn't have to do. I wonder if they can do a redesign that will moot all the arguments but still be viable.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
I'm sure he would say that. It depends how baseless the lawsuits are. We cannot file frivolous, bad faith lawsuits because our clients want us to and will pay us to do so. There would really have to be no legal merit to the Association's arguments to stop the build. A flawed but reasonable interpretation probably doesn't have to do. I wonder if they can do a redesign that will moot all the arguments but still be viable.
From the Philly.com article-----
"Still, even with the appeals submitted, Turchi is able to forge ahead. According to city spokesperson Paul Chrystie, developers typically can begin work on a property as soon as they have approvals from the required agencies, even before the zoning board renders a decision on the appeal. In this case, with Turchi’s zoning permits from L&I already secured, all that is likely standing in his way is Historical and Art Commission approvals before the final building permits are approved."

So if this is built (assuming the tape measure issue can be resolved) and 10 households are happily living there and enjoying their memberships in the Society Hill Civic Association, then in 5 or 6 years some final court decision rules that yes, the zoning was at fault. What could happen then, how could damages be awarded, from who and to whom?

I realize everyone has their own limits; I remain interested in stopping the Toll Bros. Tower on jewelers row, but as long as the design for this very modest and thoughtful tower meets present day code and zoning, I wish they could start construction today, and finish in 6 months. Its hard to imagine a better project at this site. It saves the front half of the not so historic house, it doesn't add to any crowding that some might be concerned with, it isn't too tall, its not bad looking, it's not vastly out of scale with the surrounding buildings, its in a area that has other (and taller) towers, I just don't understand what the problem is. Maybe some people think there should be a pocket park at that site. Stranger things have taken place----

Unfortunately both the Historical and Art Commissions can be readily influenced by those with political power, so getting through those steps is certainly not guaranteed.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:59 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
From the doc:

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:49 PM

It is cute. Reminds me of a building in the game cities skylines actually.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:52 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I like it. Build it. It's gonna be in the millions for each unit is my guess. Washington West is great in having a park right in your front yard, and a lot quieter than Rittenhouse Square if that's your thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive