HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 7:32 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have a picture to show, but I second that the crown is red tonight. Actually, after looking at it for a while, I noticed that it flashes green for half a second before going back to red about every 10 seconds. Maybe they are testing all the functions and for the crown. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there seems to be a small section of the colored trim on the east side that is not working. I am sure they will have that fixed shortly though.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 8:35 PM
Meh

I really hope they don't drop the ball on this. I really want to see it nicely lit. To be honest, even with all of our new towers, the lighting so far has been marginal. I still think Frost, 360 and the Monarch are the best ones so far, followed by Ashton and AMLI. I'm ok with keeping Spring dark to appease the Nimbys, and Legacy isn't really a landmark tower, so it's ok that it's mostly dark. And I'm really pretty disappointed with the Four Seasons Residences. So I'm hoping that The Austonian comes out looking very nice.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I really hope they don't drop the ball on this. I really want to see it nicely lit. To be honest, even with all of our new towers, the lighting so far has been marginal. I still think Frost, 360 and the Monarch are the best ones so far, followed by Ashton and AMLI. I'm ok with keeping Spring dark to appease the Nimbys, and Legacy isn't really a landmark tower, so it's ok that it's mostly dark. And I'm really pretty disappointed with the Four Seasons Residences. So I'm hoping that The Austonian comes out looking very nice.
I think the 4 seasons lighting looks classy like the 4 seasons should look. Reminds me of the what ritz carlton does on a lot of thier buildings. Ashton has the same kind of lighting.

The Austonian's colored lights are blue right now and looks sharp.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 5:03 AM
Meh

Up close the lights are nice, but a few of them are already burned out. And I just can't get past the mechanical penthouses. They look so unfinished. And it's made worse at night with the red aircraft warning lights. I think Ashton did a much better job with its lighting.

Taken 3/2

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 1:06 PM

from last night...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 1:24 AM

Last edited by JAM; Mar 13, 2010 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 4:00 PM
Going Up ___///|||

I like the Austonian lights changing. It looks cool. Wonder if it's showing up big time (The changing lights).
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 4:43 PM
Meh

I haven't noticed the color lights from around my neighborhood. The crescent lights at the top overpower them. And also, I've noticed they haven't turned on the north/south facing lights. I actually saw those north/south light fixtures up close on Friday. They're mounted above/on an awning above the doors that lead out onto the main roof. I didn't get a picture of them. I wish I had, but everything that was interesting was below me, not above me.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 1:31 PM

You know.. I can't help it but I think the top of the Austonian is just flat out ugly.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 6:44 AM

The top is ungainly, but it looks better at night when lit. What is the area a few floors (?) under the crescent that is lit up with what appear to be interior ceiling lights, almost like lights inside of an office building? What is this floor or area of the building, and is it a feature of the lighting design?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 7:22 AM

There are 2 amenity levels in the crown. One is the gym the other is the club house and theatre?

Last edited by TXAlex; Mar 17, 2010 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Up close the lights are nice, but a few of them are already burned out. And I just can't get past the mechanical penthouses. They look so unfinished. And it's made worse at night with the red aircraft warning lights. I think Ashton did a much better job with its lighting.

Taken 3/2

Looks better in person when the lights are all functioning.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 8:46 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Does anyone know if the east/west sides of the crown are going to be lit?

The bizjournal article from two months ago said three sections, there are technically three sections already lit: the sloped top, the tubing, and the north/south sides.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:48 PM

The floor in the crown that's lit up right now is the gym level. The floor below it is the "club" or lounge level.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 6:26 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
But will they keep those lit at night as 'lighting'? What about above the current lit floor?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 6:48 PM
Going Up ___///|||

As somebody else on this forum said before, note the malfunction of lights somewhere on the right side of the changing lights band:

-Agree that the Four Seasons Residences lighting is blah. Could've done better...
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 9:11 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
The top is ungainly, but it looks better at night when lit. What is the area a few floors (?) under the crescent that is lit up with what appear to be interior ceiling lights, almost like lights inside of an office building? What is this floor or area of the building, and is it a feature of the lighting design?
The floor I believe you're talking about above the main roof which is lit is the fitness center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post
There are 2 amenity levels in the crown. Once is the guy the other is the club house and theatre?
One is the fitness center (56th floor) one is the club floor (55th floor). The theatre is actually on the 10th floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
But will they keep those lit at night as 'lighting'? What about above the current lit floor?
I would imagine the lights in that room would be on any night that someone is in the gym. The building has a lot of green features, and I believe one of them is lighting that shuts on and off as people enter/exit the room. So if no one is in the gym, the lights would probably be off.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 1:14 AM

Well... That is a bummer. I was hoping the entire thing would be lit...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 3:14 AM
Meh

Those are just interior lights. The same kind of florescent lights you see in any office with drop ceilings. There are only two inhabited floors within the crown. The other 3 levels are mechanical. I've seen some lights on inside the very top floor inside the crown too, up on the 59th floor. They're again just interior lighting to light the walkway or whatever.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 6:19 AM

I may have been tripping out Saturday evening during the 9pm hour, but I was heading home tonite from work on 35 (south to north) and saw that the Austonian (from 35/Ben White) was lit blue at the crown. As I got over the river, I noticed it was lit green and it was still green around 10pm as I headed south on mopac over the river. Did anyone notice this color change? I think the lighting of the crown so far is a little too subtle, especially for our new tallest. Frosty will forever stand out regardless of its height until further projects come along to block more views IMHO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin