HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 11:23 PM

As we celebrate the 75th anniversary of the original 1931 Valley National Bank building, Grace Communities is renovating this historic landmark and reopening the doors as the Hotel Monroe. When completed, this chic newly renovated boutique hotel will be located in downtown Phoenix in the center of Copper Square at the intersection of Central Avenue and Monroe Street, arguably one of the finest locations in the valley. The Hotel Monroe provides approximately 144 rooms ranging from standard, junior suites and one and two bedroom suites. The eleventh floor of the hotel will be designated as the concierge floor featuring several unique suites & penthouses. The twelfth floor will feature a unique nightclub with sunset views of downtown and the valley. Hotel guests will enjoy a variety of cuisine options and entertainment venues including a five star restaurant and lounge, wine bar, night clubs and a barista café. Executive boardrooms and meeting rooms will be abundant. The boutique hotel's accommodating amenities are sure to please every discriminating taste-just a few examples are 24 hour room service, full service spa with saunas and whirlpool, a state of the art fitness center, yoga room and outdoor sundecks with cabanas.

The building as it stands today, with the ground floor completely unused and boarded up.

Last edited by HX_Guy; Jan 8, 2007 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 11:53 PM
Desert Urbanite

^Wow, I cannot wait until they rennovate that building. It deserves so much more than what is there now.....a vacant gem. Too bad that McDonald's went away, I actually enjoyed eating there when I was downtown. Anyways, it will be something much better...does anyone know the timeline for completion?

-Andrew

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 11:55 PM

HX_Guy, nice post. The rendering is well done. I see they will be adding a bit more weight to the the molding around the top...I like it. It does not take away from the integrity of the building but adds a subtle embellishment that catches more light from below...NICE! The article makes it sound like Grace is already in the midst of the renovation. Did you come upon a completion date? This is more hotel stock for DT and the convention center. We should all be real happy with this project!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 12:02 AM

There was no additional information on Grace Communities other then that.
There is an open permit for work already on the city's website however, so I assume work has already begun.

Permit# DEM-06043364 Issue Date 12/13/06 Expires 2/11/07
Permit Description INTERIOR DEMOLITION AS PER PLANS
Project 05-5464 15 E MONROE
Address 15 E MONROE ST PHOENIX AZ 85004 Zoning DC HP
L 7 B 8 ORIGINAL TOWNSITE OF PHOENIX QS Q10-28 APN 112-28-041 Dist 08
Description/Scope of Work: DEMO PERMIT ONLY

************************************************************************************
This permit only applies to work on PRIVATE PROPERTY. Work to be performed in the CITY RIGHT OF WAY will require a RIGHT OF WAY PERMIT prior to commencement of work.
************************************************************************************

*THIS PERMIT SHALL EXPIRE BY LIMITATION AND BECOME NULL AND VOID IF THE WORK IS NOT COMMENCED WITHIN 30 DAYS AND IS NOT COMPLETED WITHIN 60 DAYS OR IF ACTIVE AND CONTINUOUS DEMOLITION WORK IS SUSPENDED OR ABANDONED FOR ANY PERIOD OF 5 DAYS OR MORE PRIOR TO FINAL COMPLETION AND CLEARANCE OF ALL DEBRIS FROM THE SITE. REASONABLE AND CONTINUOUS PROGRESS SHALL BE MADE TO COMPLETE ALL DEMOLTION WORK AS EXPEDITIOUSLY AS POSSIBLE.

THE PROPOSED WORK INCLUDES: STRUC, PLMB, MECH AND ELEC SYSTEM
ZONING:..........DC HP
BUSINESS NAME:...VACANT BUILDING
REVIEWER:........MVA

HISTORICAL DEPARTMENT APPROVAL # D 38-06-8 BY KW

DESCRIPTION OF WORK: **NEW PERMIT ISSUED TO COMPLETE WORK STARTED UNDER DEM 06031772**
INTERIOR DEMOLITION OF ALL NON-BEARING WALLS AND ALL RELATED ELECTRICAL, MECHANICAL AND PLUMBING AS PER PLANS.

****NOTE****NOTE****NOTE****NOTE****NOTE****NOTE****NOTE****NOTE****NOTE****NOTE****
A FINAL INSPECTION IS MANDATORY TO VERIFY THE WORK HAS BEEN COMPLETED.
SEE THE PHONE NUMBER PROVIDED BELOW TO REQUEST THE INSPECTION.

Valuation: $200,000.00 Str Class 240 Units 0 Sq.Ft. 156968 Cnst N/A Occ 0

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCal View Post
The article makes it sound like Grace is already in the midst of the renovation.
They have been for about a year

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 3:54 AM

That building has been planned to become a botique hotel for like 5 or 6 years now.

And wasn't there talk of another building on that site to be constructed or something? All of these plans and proposals are impossible to follow.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 4:10 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Great news about Hotel Monroe, thats one of my favorite buildings downtown (I love Art Deco), glad to see it becoming a boutique hotel, Phoenix could certainly use it.

I too wish they'd tear down Westward Ho's antenna, it seems nearly as tall as the building, it just looks silly. At the very least straighten it out. If they decide to leave it & straighten it, they should also cover the lower portions of the antenna w/ signage and lights, to make it more visually interesting.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 5:31 PM

They are working on rehabing the the interior of the old Valley Bank building. They have those shoots sticking out of windows which allows debris to fall into a trash container. About the Ho, yeah that antenna..why is crooked? Seems really odd that they designed it to look the way it does. I say take it down or put up a simple pole, perhaps with cell phone or wifi transmitters and would provide income to the property which could be used for maintenence.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:12 PM

Hotel Monroe...great. But, unsolicited comment about the rendering: Looks great but I couldn't help but sort of laugh at the throngs of people walking the streets, not to mention the Borders-type store on the ground level. I know renderings are idealized versions of reality...but, come on now. Okay, I guess we can hope.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 8:14 AM

Hotel Monroe

Grace Communities has adorned their Art Deco beauty with big red banners announcing the Hotel Monroe.... Coming Soon!

Looks like they've picked up the pace, perhaps to be ready for the NBA All-Star Game???

They've also launched their new website:
www.hotelmonroe.com

Quote:
Escape to the spectacular 1930's Art Deco building in downtown Phoenix. This extraordinary chic newly renovated boutique hotel will provide approximately 144 rooms and suites ranging in sizes. Some specialty suites on the twelfth floor include a Presidential Suite, a Penthouse suite, a Rock Star/Movie Star suite and more. Hotel guests will enjoy multiple varieties of cuisine options and entertainment venues.

Enjoy fine dining at Gazelle, the Hotel’s five star restaurant and lounge, "The Vault" wine bar, the Roof Top club (on the roof of course), the Central Diner, the Barista Pastry Cafe or treat yourself at the Chocolate Shoppe. Amenities are sure to please every discriminating taste; examples are 24 hour room service and full service spa.
Quote:
The Vault
Open evenings (4:30pm to 1:00am)
"Open sesame" - whisper the magical phrase as you pass through the original vault doors. descend down to a sultry seductive venue appropriately named "The Vault". The vault walls are lined in thousands of vintages ranging in unique varietals and offerings. Relax in the plush decor rich in textures and tastes. Sample wine flights, cheese and chocolate pairings and indulge in exquisite morsels created especially for the vault. The vault also offers private dinners and wine tastings.
Let yourself go in your private vault, bonnie and clyde would.

The Rooftop
Afternoon delight through late into the night (open Monday – Thursday till 1:00pm, and Friday and Saturdays until 2:30am, Sunday afternoon roof top dancing from 1:00pm - 5:00pm)
The sky is the limit. Relax on the roof and take in the majestic sunsets overlooking the Phoenix skyline. Enjoy "rooftop rolls" -- unique specialty sushi and slider rolls. Pair your favorite roll with your favorite cocktail, be it a martini, sake, one of the "roofs" specialty concoctions or tap into a microbrew served in a super frosty glass. Dip your toes in the rooftop water feature and soak in the captivating outdoor setting. Let loose with music and forget the trials and tribulations of the day as the stars and the moon come to life.
Meet me on the roof top tonight.

Central Diner
Early morning to late, late night (6:00am - 2:00am)
Learn the lingo and have fun in this retro-fitted diner. In the morning you’ll hear; "wreck'em", "give me a pair of drawers", and "shingle with a shimmy and a shake." please. You'll see the infamous blue plate specials, the forever changing daily dishes served on a blue plate of course! Always available "central diner's" specialties are: lobster macaroni spring rolls, corned beef reuben on a potato pancake and a yummy stuffed burger with caramelized onions and shrooooms. On a lighter note, there is plenty of cow feed in the diner better known in diner lingo as salads. For dinner try our "cd fancy" american chop suey, roasted duck legs with butternut risotto and special yum yums, grandma's Atlanta special braised pot roast with pan vegetables and the good stuff and straight from the pot chicken and dumplings. Top it off with a meal-ender like banana cream pie with warm hot fudge, apple sauce cake or the decadent tin roof sundae. Don't forget to accompany it all with a central diner old fashion malt or a special velvet that is sure to wet your whistle.
Let's get retro down at the diner.

Gazelle's Piano Lobby Bar
Mid-morning to midnight
Gazelle's captivating center piece is center stage, a sparkling crystal grand piano. You have to see and hear this sparkling beauty to believe it. Sit at the piano's custom circular bar or settle into the lounges swanky surroundings. The engaging staff will spoil and tantalize you with cocktails and appetizers to please your most discerning tastes. Fantastic sights, a sophisticated setting and downtown's smoothest social setting is at gazelle's "piano".
Mouth watering martini's with stuffed olives are waiting for you.
Want a Sunday kind of love?
On Sunday's Gazelle's will feature a unique mimosa Sunday brunch from 10:00am until 2:30pm.

Monroe Pastry
Morning until end of the day (7:00am - 5:30pm)
Wake up with a latte, double espresso or our special version of a "cup of joe". Have a seat at the counter and ring the morning in with delicious fresh baked pastries. Try the daily homemade poptart selection. Be a hero and take a box of pastries back to the office or grab some goodies to-go where ever your day is taking you. If you can hang, watch the counters come alive with freshly baked xxl chocolate chip or dried cherry oatmeal cookies. Bite into warm fruit tartes, or indulge in a slice of chocolate opera prepared by Hotel Monroe's executive pastry chef. Ever changing pastries are always swirling around at "the monroe pastry shop". Enjoy the shop in action while watching the day’s fare being made.
The perfect time and place to read the paper and get your mojo going!

Hotel Monroe's Chocolate Shoppe
Morning until end of the day (10:00am - 6:00pm)
Your senses will shiver with delight at Hotel Monroe's chocolate shoppe. Watch the chocolaty creations and confections appear before your eyes. Specially made truffles and molded pralines infused with a myriad of flavors are sure to tempt you, so don't stop at just one. Excuse yourself and dip into something delectable, chocolate dipped caramels and marshmallows that will have you coming back for more. All of the chocolate creations are available in individual packages. Create your own from the daily selections. Special orders and requests are welcome.
Smother yourself in sumptuous chocolate!

Hotel Monroe - 15 E. Monroe - Phoenix, AZ 85004

Last edited by ArtDecoFan; Nov 18, 2007 at 8:25 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:10 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Sounds great, but a 'rock star' room in a 1930's Art Deco structure? I don't get it.

Either way, I'm very excited about this project, its great for Downtown, I really hope they can hurry it up and have it ready for ASG 09.

Its great that most of the stuff is going to be open late too, thats a big plus for keeping downtown going all day long.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:58 AM

I was reading the reviewer’s notes on one of the permits issued for Hotel Monroe, and it looks like they are planning on adding some sort of new penthouse floor. I can't really see it in the rendering, so I assume it's going to be something similar to what got added on top of Century Plaza.

Quote:
19. Since a new penthouse floor is to be added on the top of the existing building, additional gravity load will be imposed on the existing columns below. In accordance with IBC 2006 section 3403.2, please verify all columns still work.

21. What provides the lateral stability for the new penthouse floor in both directions? Please perform the lateral seismic analysis for this new structure, or if required by code, the entire building in accordance with IBC 2006 section 3403.2.3.1. And also, please provide a wind analysis for the new penthouse and its effect to the existing building in accordance with IBC 2006 section 3403.2.
Here is the new rendering for reference:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 1:37 PM

After all those years, finally a great use for a great building. Congrats, Phoenix! I always wonder what happened to that big Valley National Bank sign that was on top back in the day....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 3:19 PM

Sounds like this will be the place to stay and play in DT Phoenix for those who want a "non-corporate" hotel experience. Very exciting stuff!

The location & attractions secton from the site shows the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an area attraction, residing in the Sun Mercantile Building. I wonder if Grace knows something we don't or they just have bad/old information.

http://www.hotelmonroe.com/location-attractions.aspx

Now, if they would build the companion Momentum Tower Hotel next door, what a destination hotel this would become

Last edited by JimInCal; Nov 18, 2007 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:30 AM

Very very cool. The rooftop sounds like a great place to get together and I hope it will have a club type ambiance more then a restaurant type, or something like a lounge.

I checked out Mondrian Skybar last night for the first time and thought it was great, it would be nice if downtown Phoenix could have something similar.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:57 AM

Looking pretty awesome! Can't wait to see some firm schedules come together!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:04 AM

Permits have been ongoing with this which is a good sign...

ADDR-070297 8/16/07 OPEN HOTEL MONROE
LPRR-0704892 15 E MONROE ST 11/2/07 OPEN HOTEL MONROE
PAPP-0703275 15 E MONROE ST 7/27/07 OPEN HOTEL MONROE
PRLM-0704363 15 E MONROE ST 8/10/07 OPEN

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:16 PM
this could have been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Very very cool. The rooftop sounds like a great place to get together and I hope it will have a club type ambiance more then a restaurant type, or something like a lounge.

I checked out Mondrian Skybar last night for the first time and thought it was great, it would be nice if downtown Phoenix could have something similar.
I believe that the Clarendon Hotel in Midtown has or will have some type
of rooftop skybar. they seem to be making a lot of great changes and
additions there. In fact, perhaps that would be a good place for a future forumers meet!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:19 PM
this could have been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbahn View Post
After all those years, finally a great use for a great building. Congrats, Phoenix! I always wonder what happened to that big Valley National Bank sign that was on top back in the day....
I've wondered about that sign, too. i think it would be cool if they put up
a similar large, possibly rotating neon sign with a big "M" or "HM"!

Phx has lost several cool old neon signs in the past few years. that really bums me out.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:44 PM

I think neon does have its place, but I don't think this building is a good place for a neon sign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest