HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
They claim in the Spec today that hockey revenue is at a major loss partly due to the failed bid and poor attendance at AHL games.
I really like the Bulldogs but to take your family there is a bit unrealistic considering the economy and common sense.
I was courious so I did a web search and found Hamilton the so called "hockey town" with enough support for an NHL team was 12th in the AHL with 4606 while Hershey is over 8000 and Winnipeg almost there.
In the OHL or major Jr A there are two teams with over 7000 (Ottawa {with a NHL team there too} and London) Kitchener is almost 6000 average a game.
So why is this? Location or price.
I check ticket prices and found Hamilton is one of the more expensive with a quick search however Manitoba was more by about $2.
The 3 teams I searched (Hershey, Rochester and Syracuse) was around $20 for the best seats while walk-up for Hamilton is $26 or $18 with a 20 ticket pack. One had a $10 ticket special.
So consider that a family wants to go out. $52 or the parents and $32 for 2 kids. That is just to get in and $2 for parking (John and Wilson). $86 plus refeshments
They used to has a family pack for $60 and it went up to $75
However check out Rochester
(Rochester, November 18)... The Rochester Americans announced today that the team, along with Zweigle’s, have revamped the Family Four Pack to offer Amerks fans a special edition of the package. With this game bundle, fans will receive four tickets for 200-End seating, four T-shirts, four hot dogs and four sodas for the low price of $52.
They have a $44 Sunday to get people out.
That is US dollars.
Maybe catering should stay in house to offer discounts.
So IMHO it is about butts in the seats plain and simple and to think of all the high priced help, BS artists and spin doctors. Yes it is tough times all around so use your noodle it's sale time. CUT YOUR PRICES DUH
Everyone in retail is feeling the pinch and cutting prices. More people buy more food. So concessions improve and the bid next year will go up.
People will try and justify the different priced seating and Toronto Marlies are overpriced also.
Simple solution to simple problem decrease price = more fans = more support = less cost to city.
Season ticket holder will be upset but give them (lots of) tickets (in lieu of refund) or concession vouchers to bring friends. family or donate to CityKidz or minor hockey teams.
For the size of this town why we don't have a OHL team amazes me.
Where is the common sense if I can't sell my cars I drop the prices give factory incentives group discounts well selling tickets is the same concept.
Go Dogs go
I completely agree. The more people in the seats, the more revenue from merchandise and concessions.

I think the Bulldogs could also do a better job of taking advantage of the number of post-secondary students in Hamilton by maybe selling tickets directly on campus at Mac and Mohawk (if this is possible).

When I went to a game with 6 friends in December (all from Mac), we each spent about $20 on beer and food while at the game. With a lower cost of entry and more exposure to students, more would likely attend and attend more often.

Also, while it simplifies things having all the tickets cost the same, I think they should consider variable pricing (for example, having the seats up in the corners and behind the nets cost less than those along the sides of the rink). This would lower the minimum cost of entry and make attending the games more affordable for some.

One problem the Bulldogs will always face are that they are located in "Leafs Nation" but are the farm club for their biggest rival.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 6:56 PM

As for the marlies i don't see how there over prices yes they high end seats are $42 but you can gets tickets for $10.00.Still attendance is a major issue and whop know why maybe toronto is not a hockey market.As for the 2 gta major jr a team same thing cheap tickets yet lack of support.As with ottawa there are a few reasons i think they do very well.The biggest is ottawa for the most does not have the attitude toronto has and that is ottawa does not have the support nhl and careless about other teams.Price while may be part of it $15 is equal to other teams in some cases more.Even going to a 67s game can add up you add the ticket prices food and drinks parking you could be looking at over $100 for a family of 4.Just a short drive from ottawa even jr a a not major jr gets very good support teams get in some cases 3,0000 plus on some night.Could hamilton support a ohl team i think its possible if its done right.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 10:35 AM

They Just don't get it.

Today in the Spec:

Dogs show up ... but why not fans?
TheSpec.com - Sports - Dogs show up ... but why not fans?
Winning doesn't draw support

Garry McKay
The Hamilton Spectator

(Jan 7, 2010)
What if they played a game and nobody came?

The Hamilton Bulldogs came within 1,952 people of that happening last night.

The Bulldogs, who are the American Hockey League's second-best team, beat the Chicago Wolves 3-1 in front of the second-smallest crowd in franchise history.

The only time fewer fans showed up at Copps Coliseum to see the Dogs play was in November 1996 when there were only 1,821 in attendance.

There were so few people at Copps last night and it was so quiet that, from practically anywhere in the building, you could occasionally hear the players curse at the officials over missed calls.

"When there are a lot of people in the crowd, you get up easier to play," said Ryan White, who scored one Hamilton goal and was influential in the winner by David Desharnais. "We have a good group of loyal fans but we need to branch out and get more.

"We're a good hockey team and we have an exciting style of play and if you want to come out and watch good hockey at the right price this is the place to do it."
Bulldogs coach Guy Boucher said he has a lot respect for the club's small but loyal fan base.

"But obviously we'd love to have a packed house or something like the crowd we had against Toronto (7,619)," he said. "It makes all the difference in the world in terms of atmosphere and the players obviously thrive on that."

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 6:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

Bulldogs are winning, but where are the fans?

January 09, 2010
Ken Peters; With files from Garry McKay
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/701852

There is a scent of euthanasia lurking at the Hamilton hockey pound.

The Hamilton Bulldogs' attendance is sagging badly at Copps Coliseum this season and it hit rock bottom Wednesday night when only 1,952 showed up. That was the second lowest crowd in the Dogs' 14-year history at Copps.

The Bulldogs have iced a competitive and high-scoring squad that sits in the top spot in their division.

But the team is averaging just 3,626 at Copps this season, their lowest attendance ever. That average is about 1,000 less than last season. That leaves the Bulldogs 21st in attendance out of the 29 American Hockey League franchises.

So alarm bells are ringing, admits Duncan Gillespie, CEO of Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc., which runs Copps.

"It's a huge concern," he said. "When you look at some of the options we have taken to turn this around, it demonstrates how seriously we take this."

He added all the stakeholders must address the issue.

"This is a trend that can be stopped," he said. "It can be fixed but we have somehow lost some focus and we have lost a connection to the community.

"I don't think we're in a crisis mode at this point but I don't think you wait until you're in a crisis mode until you make these kinds of decisions and I think we have to make them fairly soon."

As troubling as the crowd drop-off is the fact that HECFI, which took over the Bulldogs' ticket sales, sponsorship, advertising sales and game-day operations under a two-year deal with the club, will lose $250,000 on the club for 2009.

And this week HECFI exercised a termination clause with J-Core Marketing, which had been responsible for promotion, advertising and ticket sales for the hockey team.

Gillespie said a "shakeup" was required.

Company president Jason Daleo confirmed the move yesterday and admits HECFI may find it difficult to sell Dogs ducats for the rest of the season.

"It's a struggle with season tickets. I don't think the 'are we coming or going or is the NHL coming or going' has helped our case corporately," he said. The Bulldogs have about 1,500 season ticket subscribers. Daleo said HECFI didn't help the club by reserving Friday dates for concerts giving the club fewer prime weekend dates.

The schedule also gave the club stretches where too many home games have been jammed into short periods. The Dogs are in the midst of one such stretch right now, with eight home games in 15 days.

Bulldog owner Michael Andlauer is currently in talks on a possible three-year lease extension for Copps. But Andlauer, who attended the Wednesday night dog debacle, makes it clear he is unhappy with the job HECFI is doing when it comes to operating the business operations.

"Obviously they haven't put the focus in the right direction," he said.

And it is no secret that St. John's would roll out the red carpet for the franchise if the Bulldog boss doesn't get the deal he wants here.

"I have options to leaving Hamilton right through to extension or taking it (the business operation) right back in house," he said, adding he would like to stay. The parent Montreal Canadiens also likes the team in Hamilton, a location that gives it ready access to players on short notice and makes it a handy stop for scouts.

Andlauer said the Bulldog current average attendance is a concern.

"Absolutely. There is no way you can make money at 3,700 the way it stands. We don't want to be able to hear the players cussing at the referee."

Gillespie admits HECFI has made mistakes. "But I'm trying to demonstrate to Michael that this organization is committed to the Bulldogs staying in Hamilton and the Bulldogs being successful.

"No, we haven't done everything perfectly. We've made lots of difficult decisions to move the product ahead."

Andlauer said the low crowd was disappointing but not surprising given HECFI's lack of focus on the team.

Hamilton Councillor Bob Bratina, a HECFI board member, believes a community poll should be conducted to determine whether Hamiltonians want this franchise.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Hamilton Councillor Bob Bratina, a HECFI board member, believes a community poll should be conducted to determine whether Hamiltonians want this franchise.
Not sure I understand what he means or what significance such a poll may have. Community polling happens as part of every home game through ticket sales.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 1:14 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Not sure I understand what he means or what significance such a poll may have. Community polling happens as part of every home game through ticket sales.
I was trying to figure out what the heck he was talking about as well. This is a private business, the city has nothing to do with the team other than being it's landlord. As long as they are paying what they owe stay out of their business.

As for whether or not people support the team, you have it right. Bums in the seats are the best indication of support. I have never been to a game and probably never will. I have no interest in the AHL. I love hockey but I would rather go to a Junior game or a minor hockey game than watch a minor pro game.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 2:07 AM

save your time and effort.

It is not about if Hamilton wants the team it is if the team wants to stay and play which is all dollars and cents.
Another poll? life is a poll just watch.
point: the team is winning, attendance is down, ticket prices are $26 a game, and the seats are not filled.
Goal: Fill the seats with fans.
Solution: get people down to Copps,
make it a long term family affair generations of fans the passage of right.
reasonable family packs, $10 week night tickets in the ends.
So you want a poll go down to Copps and talk to some fans, and count the fans on the jumbo tron near the 3rd period. short and sweet

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 5:29 AM

HECFI approached the Bulldogs to make this deal first. It worked for the Bulldogs as the city gives the Bulldogs an agreed amount of money and it is up to HECFI to make back the money through out the year.

The Bulldogs had at one time over 50 people working for them. They now have 7 or 8 working there. They have contracted out to HECFI most of the work with a little of the work going to some of Andlauer’s companies. HECFI handles such things as tickets sale, game day, promotions, board and ice advertising, concession sales etc. The Bulldogs handle such thinks as the announcers, Bruiser, the Foundation, basic day to day accounting, travel and accommodation requirements for the players and coaches and the team's President. The Canadians pay 100% for the players, coaches and training staff and their equipment as they are all the property of the Canadians.

As to the price of tickets, through different promotions, I believe the average ticket price is only $12 or $13. I have seen signs at Shoppers that sells the tickets for $15 each.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 11:29 AM

Oh so complicated

Adult
$26

S/S/W *
$21

Child**
$16

per the Bulldog website: works out to $18 if you buy a 20 pack,
Sorry haven't seen the Shoppers promo. I know they discount Canada's Wonderland etc etc
Tim Hortons do this for the Ticats, special games and $5 off coupons right on the cups. Maybe Tim's could do the same for the Bull dogs as they sell their coffee in Copps.
Just seems the promo is so lame since HECFI took over, the original Bulldog crew changed yearly but were young and eager, long hours and plenty of drive. I dealt with them for group events and they were very helpful and motivated.
Something has to be done for the fans and inturn everyone profits.
Check and see what others are doing and forget the polls and
spin doctoring. As per the Spec What is the matter team is winning and attendance is at it's lowest.
Do something drastic Give every season ticket holder 10 tickets in the cheap seats. They look like the heros and it is win win. Food drive night $5 off for a food items or $10 for a small grocery bag.
I used to go but will not pay $26 buck at the door for a basic game ticket. I'll go see the RedWings at Mountain arena, about $8 a ticket, cheap concesions and park fight there FREE. Too bad it only used to be monday nights

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 12:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

Lease extension in works for Dogs

January 12, 2010
Garry McKay
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/703372

The Hamilton Bulldogs are close to a new lease deal that will keep the American Hockey League team playing at Copps Coliseum.

The Dogs and Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc. have been negotiating for several weeks and both sides are optimistic that a lease extension is imminent.

"We've been negotiating since the middle of December and we've targeted around the middle of January to conclude, and we still think we're on that target," said Glenn Stanford, the Bulldogs president and governor.

Duncan Gillespie, CEO of HECFI, said the two sides talked as recently as Friday.

"We're negotiating. We're going back and forth," he said. "We're committed to the Bulldogs staying in Hamilton and at Copps and we're just trying to get a mutually agreeable relationship."

Gillespie said he expects something will happen this week, though no meetings are scheduled.

The negotiations have been complex because two deals are being worked on at the same time. The first is an extension of the Bulldogs' lease agreement to play at Copps Coliseum. The second and much trickier negotiation is over HECFI's three-year contract to handle a good portion of the Bulldogs' business operations, including ticket sales, marketing, advertising revenue and game-day operations.

Under that contract, HECFI lost a quarter of a million dollars this past year. But the Bulldogs aren't happy, either, because their attendance has plummeted and HECFI has given them fewer prime weekend dates for games.

The deal that HECFI lost money on was good for it in some regards because it regained control of the private boxes and advertising in and around the building. If the Bulldogs are going to take back other parts of the agreement, however, the club will want those revenue streams, as well.

"We have to make a decision as to whether we move forward in the partnership that we created the last three years and see whether we can improve on that, or whether we just take it back in-house," Stanford said.

The deal for an extension of the Bulldogs lease is far less complicated.

However, a big point of contention is the clause in the current agreement that says if an NHL team came to Hamilton the Bulldogs could be forced out at literally a moment's notice.

That became an issue this past summer when Research in Motion co-CEO Jim Balsillie tried to bring the Phoenix Coyotes to Hamilton.

Bulldogs owner Michael Andlauer supports the concept of an NHL team coming to Hamilton but was upset he could be forced out just weeks or days before the AHL season opened.

There's little doubt there will still be an NHL clause in the Bulldogs new lease, but it will probably give Andlauer some protection against the club being evicted from Copps with little advance notice.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 1:50 PM

I ain't alone

From Spec today
Ideas for Bulldogs
TheSpec.com - LettertotheEditor - Ideas for Bulldogs

Steve Brady
Stoney Creek
The Hamilton Spectator

(Jan 12, 2010)
Re: 'Bulldogs are winning, but where are the fans?' (Jan. 9)

If the Bulldogs want to increase attendance at their games, they will need better promotions than they have now. For instance, they could lower the adult ticket price from $26 to $19. They could give a free children's ticket with every adult ticket purchased.

The Bulldogs would do much better with lower ticket prices and more people in the stands, buying programs, drinks and food. And with more kids there, they would build up more interest in the team.

Come on Bulldogs, get creative.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 12:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Will Bulldogs stay or will they go ... from Copps?

February 03, 2010
Garry McKay
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/716974

Talks aimed at keeping the Hamilton Bulldogs at Copps Coliseum are continuing.

Dogs owner Michael Andlauer and Duncan Gillespie, CEO of Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc., met as recently as yesterday afternoon to try to hammer out details of a proposed new arrangement.

The Dogs' lease at Copps runs out May 31, but Andlauer says he wants to finalize a decision one way or the other long before then.

"Much sooner than later. I'd like to have this done within a week and hopefully things can get worked out," said Andlauer who admitted he's still receiving serious inquiries from officials in St. John's, NL, who would like to move the team to Mile One Arena.

The holdup on a new deal, it would appear, is not just trying to finalize whether the team will stay but what will happen to the management contract that HECFI has to handle a number of the Dogs affairs including ticket sales, both corporate and individual, as well as advertising and game-day presentations. Neither side was happy with that deal, which is also about to expire. The city lost money on it and the Dogs thought HECFI dropped the ball on a number of issues.

Gillespie said they're talking about a new partnership arrangement. "We want the Bulldogs here, they're our anchor tenant, and we've made that clear. We want them to be successful and we're doing what we can to make them successful.

"We're committed to finding a mutually beneficial arrangement that allows them to meet their objectives and ours."

It's the details of that new arrangement the two sides are still trying to hammer out.

Bulldogs play-by-play voice Derek Wills has been getting plenty of feedback from family and friends about his broadcast of the Buffalo Sabres game with the Vancouver Canucks last week.

He hasn't heard yet, however, from the Sabres about what they thought of his call of the game.

"Larry Quinn (Sabres managing partner) said he would be listening to all of the guys who filled in for Rick Jeanneret and provide feedback but he really didn't give a timetable for that," said Wills. "I don't think it was my best broadcast ever but it certainly wasn't my worst."

The Bulldogs break up a streak of 11 road games with one at home this week. They host the San Antonio Rampage at home tonight and then they're in Rochester on Friday and Toronto on Saturday.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 12:27 AM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like there's some politics involved. HECFI is holding off on an agreement.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 1:56 AM

Bullet proof idea: Give each student in Hamilton, Halton, Haldimand and Niagara a pass-key for an account tied to the Bulldogs website for free tickets to weeknight games and 5$ tickets for weekend games. These pass keys can be given in the schools (like apparently the Argo's do) at the start of the season. The students will come and spend concession money and their parents will buy tickets and of course the students will provide a noisy exciting crowd that will provide energy and a good environment.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 2:58 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Mississauga Bulldogs

Hershey Centre

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 12:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Dog Pound lease extension finalized for AHL club

March 12, 2010
Garry McKay
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/735889

The Hamilton Bulldogs are staying.

The American Hockey League team has called a news conference for 7:10 this evening, just prior to their game with Grand Rapids, at which time its expected to announce a three-year lease extension to keep the team playing at Copps Coliseum.

The team is also expected to announce a three-year extension of the management contract with Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc. (HECFI).

It's believed the current deal that lost money for the city and was unpopular with the Bulldogs has been amended.

Under the previous arrangement, HECFI managed the team's ticket operations, group sales, advertising revenue and game-day operations.

In recent games, HECFI has hired new staff and upgraded the club's game-day presentation.

While The Spectator has learned the two new agreements are a done deal, what isn't known is if Bulldogs' majority owner Michael Andlauer was able to negotiate any change in the clause that allows the city to kick the club out of Copps at a moment's notice if an NHL team shows up wanting to move in.

That was a contentious issue last summer when Jim Balsillie was trying to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes and move them to Hamilton.

Tonight's news conference will be in the Coronaville area of the concourse at Copps and will be open to the public.

It will also be broadcast on the team's pre-game show on TALK820.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 12:43 AM
It's Hammer Time

Bulldogs' fans meet your enemy....

City of Laval will build a new 7,500 arena by 2012. The tender went out.

http://www.lavalnews.ca/articles/TLN...lex171903.html

Based on all indications in 2013 the Canadiens will relocate the Bulldogs to City of Laval, 30ish minutes drive to Montreal.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 1:29 AM

Makes sense for the Canadiens to relocate the team closer to Montreal, akin to Toronto relocating the St. John's team back to TO in terms of player movement and such.

Always thought that a Maple Leaf affiliate would have drawn better in Hamilton than the Canadiens farm team ever did, and I would expect the same if the Bulldogs move to Laval.

Too bad, as my family has enjoyed several Bulldog games over the past few seasons...would hope another team (ie. Marlies) would fill the void (from a long suffering Leaf fan )

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 5:55 AM

hopefully we get that NHL team by 2o12, Laval can have the Dogs then!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRM View Post
hopefully we get that NHL team by 2o12, Laval can have the Dogs then!
Don't get your hopes up. I'm not seeing an NHL team in Hamilton anytime soon - if at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation