HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 10:45 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Based on the business case for a new stadium it includes "15 United Soccer League games" annually.
I read a story awhile back that Nike who owns the USL was trying to dump it because it was on the verge of bankruptcy. It may not operate next year.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 12:02 AM
It's Hammer Time

Nike sold to NuRock Soccer Holdings. United States Soccer Federation will oversee a tier-two league with USL and North American Soccer League (NASL) Conference. Each conference will have six teams, with the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps being placed in the NASL Conference.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 5:13 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Nike sold to NuRock Soccer Holdings. United States Soccer Federation will oversee a tier-two league with USL and North American Soccer League (NASL) Conference. Each conference will have six teams, with the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps being placed in the NASL Conference.
Well thats good to hear. I am not a big soccer fan, but it would be nice to have pro soccer in this city.

It sounds like they have really downsized, they had something like 30 teams before.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 2:19 PM

I don't follow soccer, but isn't MLS a more popular league than USL?

Looking at the average attendance of the MLS teams I notice 6 teams have 13,000 or less and the average for the league is only 16,120. I know the teams in that league have a bigger market than Hamilton, but would it be THAT tough for Hamilton to get an MLS team with numbers like that?

Or am I totally out to lunch? (Like I said, I don't follow soccer).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

MLS in Hamilton would like be getting NBA, MLB or NFL. Too high up for Hamilton. Next step down would be USL.

Break even point for USL in Hamilton according to the stadium business plan would be about 5,000 people. That's a good number for Hamilton, get Hamilton's Italian and Portuguese involved.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 4:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

To learn more about USL and NASL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USSF_D2_Pro_League

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 2:12 AM
It's Hammer Time

Letter from NASL Chairman, Finance Committee, F. Selby Wellman

http://www.ticats.ca/uploads/assets/...NASLLetter.pdf

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 2:36 AM
Closed account

I don't see a date on the letter. When was it written?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

NASL bid ... with a catch

Young: Stadium on east Mountain
July 30, 2010
Larry Moko
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/816833

Tiger-Cats' owner Bob Young has begun the formal application process to land a North American Soccer League expansion franchise for Hamilton.

But in light of all the squabbling between the Cats and city over where the 2015 Pan Am Games stadium should be built, it certainly wouldn't be appropriate to call Hamilton's proposed soccer team 'United'. Young will back out of the pro soccer bid if the city chooses the west harbour site for the stadium rather than one he prefers on the east Mountain.

That decision will be made by a city council vote Aug. 10.

In conjunction with the soccer franchise, the Tiger-Cats plan to launch a Hamilton-based, regionally-focused, high performance soccer training academy.

Young says the facility would be spearheaded by soccer development experts, soccer administrators, professional coaches and players. It would offer instructional clinics to all levels of players.

In a release yesterday, Young said: "Due to the regional nature of soccer both within our city and our region, it is essential that this academy and soccer strategy be located at the east Mountain stadium that is easily accessible by multiple modes of transportation and provides a wealth of land for recreational purposes."

Facilitator Michael Fenn recommended the east Mountain site as a compromise solution. The city prefers the west harbour.

"It's an exciting opportunity in a growing sport," said Ticat president Scott Mitchell at a news conference yesterday. "Bob Young is hugely passionate about men's and women's soccer. We think there's a great opportunity to make Hamilton a focal point for professional and amateur soccer in southwestern Ontario.

"There's a lot of things you can do with soccer that you can't do with football. There's more dates."

Young is a significant stakeholder in the Carolina RailHawks of the NASL.

The Ticats also obtained letters of endorsement and support for their centre of excellence plans from national, provincial and local soccer governing bodies.

Hamilton has a first-year team (Croatia) in the Canadian Soccer League.

Stan Adamson, executive director of the CSL, said: "If Hamilton has an opportunity to play at a higher level and it's good for the Canadian game, we would be supportive of them moving up. Hamilton is a big city and deserves a strong soccer franchise. We're delighted to have Croatia in our league."

The NASL is part of the United States Soccer Federation Division 2 pro grouping. Teams this season are based in Puerto Rico, Montreal, Rochester, Carolina, St. Louis, Vancouver, Portland, Baltimore, Minnesota, Miami, Austin, (Tex.) and Tampa Bay.

The D2 Pro League is the second tier of the American and Canadian soccer pyramids below Major League Soccer.

Ron Smale, president of the Ontario Soccer Association, says there are 130,000 registered players within the Hamilton area. Al Carrafiello, president of the Hamilton and District Soccer Association, estimates there are 25,000 registered players in his association, 80 per cent between the ages of 5 and 18.

The Hamilton Spectator Cup is the oldest and longest-running soccer competition in North America. It began in 1896.

Games officials have given the city and Ticats until Aug. 31 to reach an agreement on the Pan Am stadium site.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 11:20 PM
Concerned Citizen

Just what this city needs, another second rate minor league sports franchise and soccer to boot. They'll be lucky to draw 1,000 a game.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
Just what this city needs, another second rate minor league sports franchise and soccer to boot. They'll be lucky to draw 1,000 a game.
Lots of Italians and Portuguese in Hamilton, soccer could be big here.

I'd obviously love to see an MLS team though, that would draw a lot of fans for sure.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 1:21 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
Lots of Italians and Portuguese in Hamilton, soccer could be big here.

I'd obviously love to see an MLS team though, that would draw a lot of fans for sure.
First of all Italians and Portuguese only support their own meaning Italian or Portuguese based teams.

As for the MLS, thats not going to happen, ever. Bob Young is talking about a NASL franchise, basically a second rate league that can't attract flies, let alone human beings.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 2:58 AM

Bigguy is right. But he's says MLS will never happen. Not true. MLS is cheap to run. The GTHA has enough people to support two teams. NHL and MLS for Hamilton. Let's do this.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 7:24 AM

Quote:
First of all Italians and Portuguese only support their own meaning Italian or Portuguese based teams.

As for the MLS, thats not going to happen, ever. Bob Young is talking about a NASL franchise, basically a second rate league that can't attract flies, let alone human beings.
Obviously they only support their own when you're talking on the scale of the World Cup, or even the Premier League. That mentality is based mainly in the old school Italians and Portuguese; it's definitely not as prevalent in the younger generation. I'm sure there would be some support for a local soccer team.

If the ticket prices were right I'd attend a few games to see what it's all about. A lot of young people in Hamilton are open to change, and are wondering when something is going to happen in this city. Even an NASL/USL team could be a change that they are proud of and willing to support.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 4:18 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
Obviously they only support their own when you're talking on the scale of the World Cup, or even the Premier League. That mentality is based mainly in the old school Italians and Portuguese; it's definitely not as prevalent in the younger generation. I'm sure there would be some support for a local soccer team.

If the ticket prices were right I'd attend a few games to see what it's all about. A lot of young people in Hamilton are open to change, and are wondering when something is going to happen in this city. Even an NASL/USL team could be a change that they are proud of and willing to support.
I am not so sure about that. I know a couple of people who are 2nd and 3rd generation Canadians that follow soccer in the old country faithfully and think that soccer in North America is a joke. When Canada plays internationals at home, Canadian supporters are always outnumbered by the visiting teams supporters almost to the point of embarrassment.

All you have to do is look at the CSL where most of the teams are ethnic based organizations. Hamilton Serbians are a prime example of that.

Although I am not a fan of soccer, I would like nothing better than to see a team in Hamilton that is successful. But lets face it, bringing a minor league team to this city is not going to be successful. We have a minor league hockey team that gets very little support, and thats our national sport, what would make anyone in this city think that we would support minor league soccer. Hamilton is a minor league city with a major league mindset. If it's not the best it is not going to be accepted or supported.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Hamilton is a minor league city with a major league mindset. If it's not the best it is not going to be accepted or supported.
I totally agree, I don't think I could have said that any better. I think it stems from Toronto-envy.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 7:08 PM

The funny thing is everyone is talking like MLS is a major league (and maybe it is in comparison to other soccer leagues in North America) but I think I read that only 2 teams made a profit last year (Toronto and Seattle). Is this true? Because that doesn't make the league look that elite.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 5:25 AM

Yes, its true. MLS is below many of the South American Leagues.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 10:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

Since August 12, 2010, staff has had discussions with both the national and provincial sport organizations for soccer regarding possible high performance sport development use of the new stadium. Attached to Report CM09006(g) as Appendix “B” is correspondence from the Ontario Soccer Association (OSA). The OSA is investigating establishing a series of regional training centres for player development, requiring upwards of 26 hours of training and six hours of game time each month for 10-11 months annually. The OSA believes that the new stadium would make an appropriate location for a regional training centre. The Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) is assessing bidding opportunities for international events, including the 2015 Women’s World Cup. As part of the tournament, multiple venues would be required to host the event, and the new Hamilton stadium could be one of those venues. The CSA also identified the need for affordable alternative stadia for hosting international soccer matches and indicated that the Hamilton region is a viable market for professional soccer in either the United Soccer League (USL) or North American Soccer League (NASL).

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...31CM09006g.pdf

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 4:44 PM

I would buy season tickets in a second if MLS came to Hamilton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation