HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:13 PM
Closed account

Hamilton's Best Coffee

so let's hear it.
What's your favourite coffee in the Hammer?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 8:46 PM
Closed account

1. Colombian Coffee in the Farmers Market
2. Bad Dog Cafe
3. My Dog Joe
4. Caldense Bakery
5. Speakeasy Coffee - Harbour Diner, Bread and Roses Cafe

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 8:54 PM
Closed account

Hmmm, I don't drink coffee.
But most people I know really like Locke Street Bakery for their coffees. I think it's supplied by Seattle's Best.

I drink tea instead, sooo I would say the best tea would be Main Desserts.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 9:08 PM
Closed account

i'll admit to being a real coffee snob. i've got a colombian friend who turned me a few years ago, even though the way i drink it offends her - lots of cream and sugar. i've got 3 requirements for my coffee: gotta be tasty, fair trade and organic, if possible.

for home drinkin' it's either speakeasy or the colombian stuff from the market. when i go out it's either bad dog cafe, bread and roses, or my dog joe in westdale.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 10:19 PM

P.A.M.'s african queen dark is my favourite I must say.

I enjoy that there is now a 24 hour second cup in the downtown... sure it's in the lobby of the hospital but it's still coffee past 5 o'clock in the south end of downtown.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 10:40 PM
Closed account

What's the Coffee Shop on James South across from Chat Royale in the lower entrance called? Isn't it open later?

And which lobby is the Second Cup in? The Main Bldg or Fontbonne Bldg (I think that's what it's called... the one in the back?).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 8:01 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
P.A.M.'s african queen dark is my favourite I must say.

I enjoy that there is now a 24 hour second cup in the downtown... sure it's in the lobby of the hospital but it's still coffee past 5 o'clock in the south end of downtown.
I had no idea that even existed.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
What's the Coffee Shop on James South across from Chat Royale in the lower entrance called? Isn't it open later?

And which lobby is the Second Cup in? The Main Bldg or Fontbonne Bldg (I think that's what it's called... the one in the back?).
Hourse of Java

and

between the main entrance and the juravinski tower

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 7:12 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmedic View Post
Hourse of Java

and

between the main entrance and the juravinski tower
Sweet!!Thanks! I actually like some other drinks from Second Cup! It's just a 2 min walk from my place then. Did they close the one in the Fontbonne Bldg?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 8:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't drink coffee. I do drink tea. I don't like Timmie's, I know bad bad bad Hamiltonian!

Another bad me is that I LOVE Starbucks haha especially now with all the Christmas flavours like peppermint mocha I also like the frappuccinos too. I feel so bad having to go to Meadowlands to get my Starbucks fix or on Upper James.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:35 PM
Closed account

I hate Hortons and starbucks.
PAM's Palma is good too. Not to mention, PAMs at King/James has the best seats in the city for viewing the heart of downtown....awesome couches overlooking King/James.
The Coffee House is the one on James South with the lower entrance. It's a wonderful place to sit and read...nice jazzy type music always playing.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I don't drink coffee. I do drink tea. I don't like Timmie's, I know bad bad bad Hamiltonian!

Another bad me is that I LOVE Starbucks haha especially now with all the Christmas flavours like peppermint mocha I also like the frappuccinos too. I feel so bad having to go to Meadowlands to get my Starbucks fix or on Upper James.
I know what u mean, man. I don't drink coffee either, but whenever I drink tea from Tim's it always gives me gut-rot. FROM TEA!?! haha You know there's something wrong w/ that.

I usually make my own (I have like 15 kinds) or go to Infussions or even better Main Desserts. I prefer the whole loose-leaf/bodum experience over a bag like at Infussions.

Do you (Steeltown) or anyone else have any good suggestions for good tea in this city for the non-coffee drinkers among us?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 1:43 AM

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmedic View Post
Hourse of Java
There are actually two coffee houses along this stretch. House of Java is at street level right by Duke Street. The Coffee House is a former Second Cup franchise, and is a bit further north along the block. That's the one across from Chateau Royale with the lower level entrance. That's also my preference for coffee shops along that stretch.

Not a huge fan of PAM's. Their coffee beans aren't as fresh as they should be. I really miss Timothy's - not a single shop in this city.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 3:55 AM
Closed account

I was at House of Java today...they've got some great organic, fair trade beans.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 5:10 AM

Ottawa & Dunsmure

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 7:22 PM
Raising the Hammer

Bad Dog (assuming the new owners still sell the same brand) - hands down, best coffee in the city. Organic, fair trade.

Cafe Don Jorge (Colombian coffee at market) - a very close second, and significantly cheaper by the pound than Bad Dog. Organic, fair trade.

PAMs (at King and James) - consistently good, and great staff.

Bailey's - excellent coffee, nice pub-style interior with low, intimate tables.

Courtyard Cafe - nice flavour, but they need to serve it hotter.

al Centro - very good coffee and cappuccino, but like the Courtyard they need to serve it hotter.

Freeway Coffee House - Very good coffee and a huge selection of teas.

Speakeasy - the batch I bought tastes a little burnt, but otherwise pretty good.

Locke Street Bakery - I can't stand Seattle's Best, so yuck (but their bagels are great and Peter & co. are very friendly).

Starbucks - I think they make the coffee as horrible as they do so you're forced to buy a seven-dollar soy green tea latte venti instead.

Tim Hortons - tolerable if you have it there and get it in a mug rather than a take-out cup.

Second Cup - I can't even abide the first cup. Bleagh.

EDIT - three more places:

Denningers (Jackson Square location) - surprisingly good - much better than I expected.

Deco's (also in Jackson Square) - meh, it's Mother Parker's.

Bread & Roses (at Sky Dragon Centre) - pretty good, but a little on the harsh side.

Last edited by ryan_mcgreal; Nov 10, 2008 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 7:42 PM
Closed account

Bad Dog does still have the same coffee.

I would put My Dog Joe in close second behind the Colombian in the Farmers Market. I've got Bad Dog a close 3rd.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 10:41 PM
Needs more coffee...

The Freeway & Speakeasy.... organic and fair-trade as well..? freeway is for sure

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 11:58 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
The Freeway & Speakeasy.... organic and fair-trade as well..? freeway is for sure
yup both are.
As is Bad Dog, Colombian in Farmers Market, My Dog Joe, several different blends at House of Java and the 'Special Reserve' blend at Denningers. Also the now open Tapestry Bistro in the Staircase has organic/fair trade.
On weekends, Locke St Bakery has an organic, fair trade blend, but not during the week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation