HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Maybe they are thinking about splitting EB and WB trains along 4th and 3rd. Not unusual but it would require an underground station that runs from 4th to 3rd on congress or two at grade stations at Congress if we go that route. I imagine splitting the lines like this would make those 90 degree turns a lot easier if there was only 1 track per block.
I was wondering if it could perhaps be related to staging. Like run the rail (partially?) on the surface on 3rd for now, then later go underground all the way across on 4th. or vice versa. With the assumption that it would be easier to eventually do the tunnel if there wasn't an active rail line above it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Meeting packet is up for the tri party meeting tomorrow.

https://atptx.org/docs/librariesprov...packet_atp.pdf

No real details on light rail (though is that a dashed blue line on 3rd street?)

Grade separation of red line at Lamar starts applying for federal grants late this year.
Anyone know why the Q2 stadium station is supposed to take so long to build? It really blows my mind that it won't be ready for another calendar year. What's in a red line station beyond some concrete and benches?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
Anyone know why the Q2 stadium station is supposed to take so long to build? It really blows my mind that it won't be ready for another calendar year. What's in a red line station beyond some concrete and benches?
For one, the project includes double-tracking and signal upgrades from Broadmoor to past Rutherford. There's also a lot more that goes into a station than what you describe, but this one will also be extra long, with the ability to stage two trains southbound and one northbound for the end of match crush.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:13 PM

I'm sure its more complicated than it seems, but a whole year for some limited double tracking and a new station does seem long. Meanwhile, towers are topping out downtown in the same timeframe.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilliam View Post
I'm sure its more complicated than it seems, but a whole year for some limited double tracking and a new station does seem long. Meanwhile, towers are topping out downtown in the same timeframe.
Those towers aren't going up while simultaneously thousands of people are still working/living in the existing building there.

Other than a week here or there, they're still keeping the red line running the whole time (passenger and freight service). Undoubtedly that adds a lot of complications and time to the schedule.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
For one, the project includes double-tracking and signal upgrades from Broadmoor to past Rutherford. There's also a lot more that goes into a station than what you describe, but this one will also be extra long, with the ability to stage two trains southbound and one northbound for the end of match crush.
If I recall, there was drainage work necessary too. And I think they still need to finish purchasing the property off of delta drive.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 7:38 PM

Fair enough. I'm quite possibly the most impatient urbanist alive. I just want to build, and build FAST! lol.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilliam View Post
Right? Think about the Tesla factory!

I was being facetious about a red line station being concrete and benches, but still, 2 years for this project seems absurd.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
Right? Think about the Tesla factory!

I was being facetious about a red line station being concrete and benches, but still, 2 years for this project seems absurd.
Not excusing the time it takes, but I think in addition to double tracking from 183, this involves 4 rail crossings which are moving to quiet zones and that involves the FRA. I would guess construction is the easiest part of the overall process.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 10:38 AM

Question for you guys-- why can't the orange line just go south on 1st street? Why does it need to be aligned with South Congress? I feel like the current alignment contributes to some of the high costs of the line (requirement for subway extension south due to CVC).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
Question for you guys-- why can't the orange line just go south on 1st street? Why does it need to be aligned with South Congress? I feel like the current alignment contributes to some of the high costs of the line (requirement for subway extension south due to CVC).
South 1st isn’t a major corridor the way SoCo is. It’s much narrower and doesn’t have the same scale of development and space for future development. It has SF houses fronting it in a surprising number of places.

There’s a big difference in the current transit usage on the two corridors.

South 1st has poor multi-mobility. You’d have to take out at least two lanes to put in rail (unless you acquire a ton of property, which leaves you with even more single family fronting the corridor). At that point, you still need more room for bike lanes or better than the minimal sidewalks that are there.

Less important, but long term the orange line terminus at SoCo/Slaughter is close to I35 and serves a park and ride/transfer function from that. Slaughter/1st would have to cut over.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
1) S 1st has a very narrow ROW. Putting LRT there would have even greater property impact with associated real estate costs.

2) I'm not sure S 1st has the density of activity that S Congress has, which would impact ridership.

3) As I understand it, the CVC does not require a subway, rather it prohibits it. A tunnel is required for the 2nd river crossing, and because of flood plain and grade issues, the tunnel needs to be longer, putting it within the CVC. Since a tunnel portal and entrances are 'structures', they cannot exist within the CVC, requiring the tunnel to extend beyond Live Oak. If the Orange Line shares the Blue Line bridge crossing, it may be able to run on the surface of S Congress without violating the CVC.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 2:40 PM

To add more thoughts:

South 1st today doesn't even have a middle lane. Honestly, they really should just bite the bullet and do a 4-to-3 conversion. The left lanes are always getting blocked by people trying to pull lefts into businesses or at intersections.

With light rail in the median you can't even do that. On other corridors, this is accomododated by adding left turn or u turn lanes/bays and telling people to turn around at intersections. Adding these on 1st would mean even higher RoW requirements.

By the time you added rail to 1st you'll probably spend almost as much as SoCo and end up with a worse result. 1st just isn't the right spot in the city for major transit investment. One of the ways you could always tell those gondola guys were pure bullshit artists.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:31 PM
World Traveler

Density was mentioned in favor of Congress, which makes sense. While S 1st has some development, Congress obviously has more - in addition to St. Edward's, St. Elmo, etc.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:07 PM
Resident Moron

Congress, Lamar and Riverside are going to be where light rail can live.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
1) S 1st has a very narrow ROW. Putting LRT there would have even greater property impact with associated real estate costs.

2) I'm not sure S 1st has the density of activity that S Congress has, which would impact ridership.

3) As I understand it, the CVC does not require a subway, rather it prohibits it. A tunnel is required for the 2nd river crossing, and because of flood plain and grade issues, the tunnel needs to be longer, putting it within the CVC. Since a tunnel portal and entrances are 'structures', they cannot exist within the CVC, requiring the tunnel to extend beyond Live Oak. If the Orange Line shares the Blue Line bridge crossing, it may be able to run on the surface of S Congress without violating the CVC.
adding to the 3rd point, we can build under the CVC as long as it doesn't pierce the plane. That's why they extended it all they way past live oak before surfacing. The stations under the CVC close to the church would not be an issue. Here's some "fun" reading on the CVC lol https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/do....cfm?id=277001

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:00 PM

Has anyone seen any state bills filed relating to the project? Last session there was one for republic square's underground station but it didn't get out of the senate.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 5:24 PM

Austin receives $1.5M in federal funds for I-35 cap and stitch project

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin City Council accepted on Thursday $1.5 million in federal funding to support the design and engineering of its Interstate 35 “cap and stitch” project. Council approved the item on consent, meaning no additional discussion was held prior to the vote.

The “cap and stitch” project is a component incorporated alongside the Texas Department of Transportation’s $4.9 billion I-35 Capital Express Central project. The eight-mile-long, state-led project would remove the current I-35 decks, add two non-tolled high-occupancy vehicle managed lanes and expand the roadway, among other features.
Supplementary to that is the cap and stitch program, a city-led initiative designed to increase east-west connectivity and help add community spaces above I-35.

Caps are decks or land bridges placed above lowered highways that can support green space, public amenities and even some buildings. Stitches are widened bridges above the highway that would include travel lanes for vehicles and protected paths for cyclists and pedestrians. Stitches could also include design elements like landscaping, shade structures and artwork.

Other Texas communities — including Klyde Warren Park in Dallas — have incorporated park and event space in their designs over local highways.

The $1.5 million in funds authorized by Austin City Council Thursday comes from the Community Project Funding, secured by Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Austin. Federal dollars are sent via the state for distribution to local governments, with TxDOT passing along the funds to the city.

The cap and stitch program is being overseen by Our Future 35, a program led by the city’s Corridor Program Office. Michelle Marx, program manager for Our Future 35, previously told KXAN in September these caps and stitches could help reconnect downtown with east Austin.

Our Future 35 has said this could be a means of helping redress geographic and racial barriers imposed by I-35 on east Austin. What was previously East Avenue, I-35’s construction segregated the Eastern Crescent from the downtown corridor.

“This is certainly a generational opportunity for us in our city,” she said. “No matter where you live in the city, I think this is going to impact you.”

Source: https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...titch-project/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin City Council accepted on Thursday $1.5 million in federal funding to support the design and engineering of its Interstate 35 “cap and stitch” project. Council approved the item on consent, meaning no additional discussion was held prior to the vote.

The “cap and stitch” project is a component incorporated alongside the Texas Department of Transportation’s $4.9 billion I-35 Capital Express Central project. The eight-mile-long, state-led project would remove the current I-35 decks, add two non-tolled high-occupancy vehicle managed lanes and expand the roadway, among other features.
Supplementary to that is the cap and stitch program, a city-led initiative designed to increase east-west connectivity and help add community spaces above I-35.

Caps are decks or land bridges placed above lowered highways that can support green space, public amenities and even some buildings. Stitches are widened bridges above the highway that would include travel lanes for vehicles and protected paths for cyclists and pedestrians. Stitches could also include design elements like landscaping, shade structures and artwork.

Other Texas communities — including Klyde Warren Park in Dallas — have incorporated park and event space in their designs over local highways.

The $1.5 million in funds authorized by Austin City Council Thursday comes from the Community Project Funding, secured by Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Austin. Federal dollars are sent via the state for distribution to local governments, with TxDOT passing along the funds to the city.

The cap and stitch program is being overseen by Our Future 35, a program led by the city’s Corridor Program Office. Michelle Marx, program manager for Our Future 35, previously told KXAN in September these caps and stitches could help reconnect downtown with east Austin.

Our Future 35 has said this could be a means of helping redress geographic and racial barriers imposed by I-35 on east Austin. What was previously East Avenue, I-35’s construction segregated the Eastern Crescent from the downtown corridor.

“This is certainly a generational opportunity for us in our city,” she said. “No matter where you live in the city, I think this is going to impact you.”

Source: https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...titch-project/

1.5 million for a billion dollar project. Thanks feds.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 7:38 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
1.5 million for a billion dollar project. Thanks feds.
There will be more to come. You can only request grants on parts of the overall project at a time.

The $1.5 million is being granted to "support the design and engineering of its Interstate 35 'cap and stitch' project.". The "cap & stitch" project is only a part of the overall development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin