HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm glad I captured the site before 2 MW rises, it's cool to see things rise in phases and seeing structures not built yet. Except for the WTC...that's been taking too long

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:04 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

I'm definitely going to do that FlyNYon tour. Your pic set convinced me that it might be the best $500 for 30 minutes one can spend. The question is... day time or night time.

I'm thinking September. Or sometime in Fall. I hate summer heat and last thing I'd need is poor visibility due to humidity.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I'm glad I captured the site before 2 MW rises, it's cool to see things rise in phases and seeing structures not built yet. Except for the WTC...that's been taking too long
On a side note, can't help but notice how much room Javits takes up. Would be nice if they build atop of it. Tons of potential. They are renovating/expanding it, but there is so much sq-footage that should be vertical.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
^^^^

I'm definitely going to do that FlyNYon tour. Your pic set convinced me that it might be the best $500 for 30 minutes one can spend. The question is... day time or night time.

I'm thinking September. Or sometime in Fall. I hate summer heat and last thing I'd need is poor visibility due to humidity.
Awesome!! I'd definitely do it in the day so you can see everything and go in early November so you can catch Fall Foliage from the air. If you take pics with your phone at night they might not turn up so good due to the low light (if you're doing it with a phone, it will be attached to your harness)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Some aerial comparison...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Wr24UHV2A/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
On a side note, can't help but notice how much room Javits takes up. Would be nice if they build atop of it. Tons of potential. They are renovating/expanding it, but there is so much sq-footage that should be vertical.
Only thing to put on top of Javits should be Madison Square Garden ...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 4:15 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:40 PM

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me. Taken today.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 10:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
Only thing to put on top of Javits should be Madison Square Garden ...
Agreed! MSG could easily move there someday down the line, it's a hideous eyesore on top of penn and it needs to go. If Javitz were to move to Sunnyside, it would be no problem to move MSG there someday.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 12:40 PM

My only wish is that there was some sort of lighting effect on the crown at night. It would stand out more and look so good on the skyline with the Hudson yards as a backdrop.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

up close —

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:27 PM

Am i the only one who JJ to stay as is? The city needs big "low" areas besides CP.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:46 AM

I walked by this when in New York the other week. I really like this building. More than most or all of the Hudson Yards towers. The glass is high quality, and the base is striking. It's stunning in its simplicity. It reminds me of the original glass buildings when all glass or glass predominant towers first started to rise to prominence. Before they became so tired and architects started adding tons of bells and whistles to try to make them interesting and give some texture.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 10:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Under Construction: One Manhattan West’s Lobby

Quote:
Brookfield Properties’ One Manhattan West has always been an incredible piece of engineering, with its massive, steel superstructure cantilevering over active train tracks and dominating half a block on Ninth Avenue across the street from Penn Station. The lobby of the 67-story, 2.1-million-square-foot office tower is no different: a monumental tribute to the power of massive corporate tenants and landlords, but featuring an understated, elegant design.

Since most of the lobby hangs over the tracks, its walls transition from perfectly straight to dramatically sloped, meeting the 46-foot-high ceiling at a 45-degree angle. The last 20 feet of the floor on the south side of the lobby are hanging over the train tracks, said Sabrina Kanner, Brookfield’s head of design and construction.

“If you were to follow the line of the building and take that straight down to the railroad tracks, we’d be in the worst possible throat of the Amtrak,” Kanner explained. “With the strength of the bedrock we have here —it’s 60-ton Manhattan schist — we built a very strong core, brought all the loads back into the core and cantilevered the floor out, which is why we’re able to have this column-free space.”

The entire facade is wrapped in floor-to-ceiling glass, but the interior sloped walls of the lobby are clad in 400 tons of white travertine marble, transported by boat from an Italian quarry. The stoneworkers had to buy three CNC machines — computerized milling machines run on the same technology used by 3D printers — in order to carve the shape of the four-story-high walls and line up the veins in the marble, according to Kanner. The marble also continues into the elevator lobby, which looks like a long, horizontal chute carved out of the middle of the building’s core.

The side walls are partially covered in a warm wood, and the floors are made of a shiny black Canadian stone. The southern, retail portion of the lobby is still under construction, but it will eventually connect to an outdoor courtyard and the adjacent, 17-story 5 Manhattan West. The two buildings will share 240,000 square feet of retail, including a Whole Foods, a Peloton store, and a three-level food concept from Danny Meyer.
===============
https://commercialobserver.com/2019/...an-west-lobby/

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 5:07 AM
BANNED

Glass as smooth as a slick talking car salesman. What a wonderful building.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 10, 2019 at 7:47 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:30 PM

Best new skyscraper in nyc in the last 5 years for my taste. The lobby is unreal.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Brookfield to launch massive entertainment venue at Manhattan West

Quote:
Move over, Vessel — Brookfield’s Manhattan West, which is taking shape just east of Related’s Hudson Yards, has signed its own cool venue to entertain office workers, residents and tourists.

But it will be horizontal, not vertical.

Brookfield has lured Elemental, a hospitality and “experience design” firm, to launch a 10,000 square-foot entertainment and dining venue at the 8-acre Manhattan West site, The Post has learned.

Led by a multi-disciplinary team from the hospitality and design worlds, it will include an eating/drinking venue and an intimate theater for what are described only as “innovative musical experiences,” “elegant magic” and “immersive” events. It will open in early 2021 on the north side of the public plaza in the heart of the complex.

“We will be combining immersive entertainment technologies of the 21st century with the elegant designs of old New York variety theaters,” said Elemental partner Warren Adcock. Also on board are Brooklyn Bowl co-founder Charles Ryan and Lilia restaurant partner Josh Cohen.

The six-building, 7-million-square-foot Manhattan West, bounded by Ninth and 10th avenues and West 31st and 33rd streets, has been overshadowed by Hudson Yards.

But it’s at last coming into focus. A plywood fence around most of the complex is coming down piece by piece, revealing some of what’s already up and under construction.
=============
https://nypost.com/2019/10/10/brookf...anhattan-west/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 4:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive