HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yikes, were on a pace for 600+ this year!

that would be the worst since 2003, the last year chicago was north of 600.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 10:17 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Chicago at 47 on morn of Jan 28
Awful. Living in Europe, I can attest that, for as much as I love Chicago, the city has a terrible black eye in the view of alot of the world. Many people think it's dangerous, ghetto, and crime-filled, and little else.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 8:39 PM

Rochester NY is at 6.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 10:43 PM

Birmingham AL is at 9.

Cincinnati OH is at 8.

Baltimore MD is at 16.

St. Louis MO is at 12.

Syracuse NY is at 3.

Little Rock AR is at 5.

Newark NJ is at 10.

Columbus OH is at 13.

Jacksonville FL is at 14.

Indianapolis IN is at 12.

Stockton CA is at 5.

Last edited by lextown; Feb 1, 2016 at 5:54 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 5:25 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Toronto is at 9 after a brazen overnight shooting in Chinatown leaves two dead.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 9:06 PM

Vancouver has one murder after a shooting at an apartment building on Granville St., south of downtown:

Vancouver police name first murder victim of 2016

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Toronto is at 9 after a brazen overnight shooting in Chinatown leaves two dead.
Very bad start to the year for Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 4:37 PM

Philadelphia
As of 2/1/16

2016: 18
2015: 27
2014: 26
2013: 19
2012: 33
2011: 33
2010: 21
2009: 19
2008: 24
2009: 32

https://www.phillypolice.com/crime-maps-stats/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 7:48 PM

Chicago did go over 50 for the month. Maybe El Nino partly to blame?

http://e.chicagotribune.com/a/hBWrs3...AB9Oxq1/exmp10

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:

What would Chicago's murder rate look like if it had the climate of Miami? *shudder*

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 12:47 AM

So at this point, Chicago has more murders and shooting victims than LA and NYC combined. Chicago residents, is all of this tied to drugs? Are the gangs growing to a point where it will be like the 90's again?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 1:11 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:

its been in the 60s multiple times this month down in st. louis and the murder count has gone down in jan a bit. hard to say, but i would reckon mostly no.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:56 PM

[QUOTE=Tosin007;7306977]Ya I agree with you that was a pretty interesting read, wow the Gun culture is just so different in the U.S. I'd say Realistically few people own Guns up here in Canada. & The Majority of People that do are either law enforcement or Criminals (The small percentage of them anyways). Most Canadian Gun owners have long Guns I think. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I think that this is factually wrong. Lots of Canadians own guns. You just probably don't know them. I know of lots of hunters around the Québec City area. In Calgary, it is the same. The difference is that Canadians don't own handguns (very much) and really do use guns for hunting.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f.../index-eng.htm

For the Record, Québec City and Levis are both at 0 murders for 2016 (as of Feb. 1).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 4:20 PM

I think a few factors for Chicago. First, the fact that we had lots of days in the 30s and 40s vs, say, -5, does make a bit of difference.

But mostly it's drugs, gangs and police reaction. Chicago has become arguably the #1 drug distribution point in the US. The cartels move product up from Juarez etc, worrying about getting it here. Then it fans out. Same reason Chicago grew economically in the first place with a central location and good access to transportation networks of all kinds. It is no accident that the most sweeping federal indictment against El Chapo was filed in Chicago, and he may be extradited to face those charges first.
Similarly, laundered money goes backward from here.

Local gangs get a piece of that in all manner of ways, and not just raw street sales, which are significant. Couple that with the fact that over the last few decades, the feds here have made major cases against gang kingpins starting with Larry Hoover and working on down. Now you can have the boss of one set rise up and get taken out. That in turn leads to chaos on the streets, because the gangs operate more at the clique level now. Sometimes you have cliques in the GDs fighting it out even though they technically are under the same umbrella. There are no leaders to keep order for the most part. It was more like organized crime at times before (even though Chicago has had years with murders above the 800 mark).

Third is the police factor. The spcial operations section was dismantled because of scandal. Those were the cowboys that everyone was afraid of. Plainclothes and few rules. But too many of them were on the take. Then McCarthy came in and for a number of reasons dismantled the rest of the quick hit squads that weren't really assigned to any district. They would float and flood the zone when hot spots appeared. McCarthy wanted more of a NYC model of community policing and CompStat where everyone was responsible for real geographic territory for more accountability. The flip side was the police would find themselves overmatched at times and there wasn't any real backup. They would basically wait it out even if a block devolved into a third world running gun battle.

And now CPD is still dealing with the fallout from the LaQuan video. There are some reports that engagement numbers overall are down (stop and frisk) as officers try to figure out what the new world order is. And no one wants to get jackpotted right now with some cheap garbage that gets you on the news.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 6:42 PM

SF is only at 1 murder so far, and Oakland is only at 2. Amazing!

SJ on the other hand is doing worse than normal, with 5 murders so far.

I'm going to assume that this is the first time ever that SJ has had more murders in January than SF or Oakland... Let alone SF and Oakland combined.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 7:38 PM

I wonder if the crime rates of SF and Oakland are finally beginning to match gentrification rates. Incredible numbers for Oakland and SF, especially Oakland. I mean, wasn't it a top 5 murder rate city just last year? If trends continue, it would have a murder rate of around 3.0/100k by the end of the year....obviously, I doubt it can sustain 1 murder a month but still...great month.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 8:30 PM

wow, Oakland, OAKLAND is at 2?? That is remarkable. Similarly, Compton finished last year with around 15 if i recall correctly. Great improvements for 2 of the most maligned areas of the state

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I wonder if the crime rates of SF and Oakland are finally beginning to match gentrification rates. Incredible numbers for Oakland and SF, especially Oakland. I mean, wasn't it a top 5 murder rate city just last year? If trends continue, it would have a murder rate of around 3.0/100k by the end of the year....obviously, I doubt it can sustain 1 murder a month but still...great month.
It's way too early to know what the trend will be. SF has started the year with 15 murders in like two weeks before, yet still ended with a relatively low amount. We can hope though!

And for the record, both SF and Oakland have tons of poor people, a busy drug trade, etc...I don't think gentrification has quite as much to do with the ridiculously low amount of murders so far, as luck does. But we'll see what happens.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 11:54 PM

SF is now at 2 murders, after a man died of injuries sustained during a stabbing in the Tenderloin in January.

Still insanely low of course.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 12:55 AM

Wilmington Delaware - Murder Town

Since I live within the greater Wilmington, Delaware region I thought I'd give a shout out as the city was featured on the cover of Newsweek a year ago with the charming title of "Murder Town USA" - Roughly 70,000 citizens with a murder rate averaging 27 per year and 135 people shot. With a violent crime rate of 1,625 per 100,000 versus the national average of 368 per 100,000 people.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/12/19/w...me-290232.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions