HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:24 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wow! That Capitol Building is amazing! I love it. Is it complete of will you add wings to the buildings? I think you should add wings. But 4 instead of 2 and place it in the middle of an intersection. It would look amazing! Or near the river!

The convention center parking looks amazing too. Not because of the design, but because of the amount of details and how amazingly realistic it looks.

Keep up the good work!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 12:24 PM
Closed account

Woah the Capital building looks great!! The only suggestino is that I would change the tan texture.I don't think it would fit in with the city.Just my thoughts ,But the building itself is great!

The convention garages are awsome!tHe details are just out of the park!I also like the trianglular roofs you did at each end of the parking garage!

Great job!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 7:14 PM

Great detail on the garages and especially on the Capitol Building! Very very good. I'm with Aleks that it might look better with two or four wings, but on the other hand now it looks very unique - landmark quality.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 12:07 AM

Anthony, You said awile back you got the error message about the file was corrupted? I think I found a way around it. Are you using a pc?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 5:02 PM
Dare Mighty Things

I've been redesigning the airport...again.

Scrapped the entire old model and particularly the old airline schedule, decided I wanted to take a slightly different approach so that the model could take-off to new heights. (and yes all those puns in the previous sentence intended )

I'll post the new schedule in a little bit

Anthony

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 6:41 PM
Dare Mighty Things

So, more information on Pierpont International Airport --

Pierpont International Airport - KPPN serves just over 6.3 million passengers per year, making it among the busiest in the Northwest. The airport serves as the main hub for Mountain West Airlines, an airline that formed in 1995 with the merger of the two regional carriers Big Sky and Great Lakes. Immediately after the merger, the two airlines looked to consolidate their operations into a hub, and placed an order for 25 Boeing 717s.

What makes Mountain West successful is that they have a solid business plan and a very strong base of loyal customers in the Pierpont region, offering relatively low fares and quality service to major cities in the western United States.

Current fleet:

25 Boeing 717s
18 Embraer 120s
15 Beech 1900Ds

Livery (each aircraft has a different livery based on a similar two-tone template + tail graphic), I've designed 5 so far:

And here is the full schedule for all airlines that serve Pierpont (Sorry about the hyperlinks, I had all of the aircraft linked to photos so you could see what kind of airplane I was talking about, but it seems some were lost in translation).

Guide:

319 - Airbus A319
320 - Airbus A320
BE1 - Beechcraft 1900D
717 - Boeing 717
738 - Boeing 737-800
757 - Boeing 757-200
CRJ - Canadair Regional Jet - CRJ-200
CRJ - Canadair Regional Jet - CRJ-700
EM2 - Embraer 120
E70 - Embraer 170
M80 - McDonnell Douglas MD-80

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...lNc0s5YQ&hl=en

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 6:47 PM
<:

whatta beautiful airport anthony! nice night scene, also the airplanes are cool!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 7:18 PM
Closed account

Those are beautiful airlplanes! Anyway van you show us the airport itself?

Did you make them?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 10:55 PM

According to the guys who make rules for collage football, I live in the Mountian West. You should throw in a 727, noonne uses them anymore but there awesome planes.

I love the night render, the shadows of the people inside is cool. Once you get the lines and planes and trucks and everything in Itll be really neat. On the planes, How did you do the tail? Is it a picture just put on or hand-drawn? BTW, if you ever need any help making liveryies I would love a real reason to make some.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:29 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper100 View Post
whatta beautiful airport anthony! nice night scene, also the airplanes are cool!
Thank you so much! Wait till ya see the whole thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule View Post
Those are beautiful airlplanes! Anyway van you show us the airport itself?

Did you make them?
Hey thanks! Nah, I would if I had more to show, but this time around I didn't, the layout is still under construction, and those 4 gates were all I had at the time.

And yes, the planes were 100% modeled by me with the small exception of two engine parts (the gray area in the back and the engine fan blade), which I got from 3D warehouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
According to the guys who make rules for collage football, I live in the Mountian West. You should throw in a 727, noonne uses them anymore but there awesome planes.

I love the night render, the shadows of the people inside is cool. Once you get the lines and planes and trucks and everything in Itll be really neat. On the planes, How did you do the tail? Is it a picture just put on or hand-drawn? BTW, if you ever need any help making liveryies I would love a real reason to make some.
Thank you! Hahahaha, amen, baby, amen! Long live the 727 (and all trijets for that matter!)

The tail is a funny thing, because for the longest time I was doing everything the super-hard way. Whenever I got 3D aircraft from Warehouse, they all had 3D tails...some not even properly shaped. So I got the idea to just make a 2D cutout based on a side-shot photo, and it makes applying photos to the tail just a million times easier. So now whenever I build aircraft from scratch, like the 717, I make the parts as simple as they can be without losing realism. Hence, the pictures on the 717 tails are not handdrawn, but merely graphics I found on Google.

Here are some test renderings I did today as I've been working further on the terminal, if anyone is interested. The only real changes I've done were shifting lights around and adding more people and trucks. All will still change again in the future. Sorry for the grainyness, but remember these were only tests.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 7:48 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Cool, how long did those night renderings take?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 7:58 AM
Desert Dweller

I love the one with the pink-purple sky gorgeous!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 9:26 AM
<:

love the night renders! wanna see the whole aiport

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 12:04 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Concourse A is nearly complete.

I was astonished at how fast this exported and rendered...and it made me come to the realization that it was the number of textures, not the complexity of the model, that was slowing everything down. By not using the colored 2D people which made up almost all of the color usage, everything went by soooo quickly. The rendering above took about 3 hours only. Hopefully, I'll be able to render the whole airport terminal in due time when it's complete.

Haha, and as a fun fact, there are over 1,500 different lights in the above rendering.

Anthony

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 12:14 AM

Wow, that is awesome. The shape is great and the light green windows and skylights.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 6:08 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Some more renderings...

Day:

Cloudy night:

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 1:00 PM
Closed account

Woah .Speechless.

Those renderings are awsome and the terminal itself rocks!So where is the airport itself at in Pierpoint?And For some reason I like the fuzzyness in the test renders!Way to go

This is is really one of my favorite cities!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 7:54 AM

I think that is the most realistic looking terminal I've seen done with SU. And the renderings...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 11:39 AM
Desert Dweller

Oh myyy, the detail, those renderings are so beautiful, do you add the sky in photoshop or was it rendered in?

So I know you like airports, what do you think of Washington Dulles International. I gotta tell you, it was the strangest airport I've ever been too. LAX is amazing with its huge and exciting atmosphere, Sky Harbor here in Phoenix, is my favorite so far, since its so new, open, and easy to get around, Midway Airport in Chicago seemed very dated and hasn't been refurbished since the 90's, while Logan International in Boston, don't remember much of it. But yeah Dulles was so wierd, all empty and sparse, the terminal looking as if its going to collapse, a big exposed concrete roof, nobody really around, scary!

Sorry for going off topic, but I'd love to hear your opinion on those airports haha.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 7:35 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Update, though no pictures...

I think I'm going to undertake a project that'll greatly be more efficient than what I'm doing right now. Unfortunately, it means that I'm going to have to redo all of the textures for all my models.

Building the newest version of Pierpont's airport made me realize it was the textures that were slowing me down, as it wasn't uncommon for me to have up to 160 different materials per block. My computer can handle model complexity well, just not a large quantity of different textures.

So my goal is to have no more than 150 materials for the entire city. What I'm also going to do is manually edit certain textures in Kerkythea, and I'm going to do something that I've been learning, which is applying bump maps to the textures. Then things like brick walls won't look so flat, and hopefully it'll produce far quicker and more realistic renderings.

Just thought I'd give a heads up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup