HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 2:58 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Patrick,

I agree completely with what you are saying. In all honesty I would've said the same thing, except maybe just not be too blunt about it. HOWEVER, if some people check out your postings specifically on Page 1 of "Palm Dunes - A Google Sketchup City", they'll see that you may sound pretty hypocritical regarding plagerism, not because you did it, but technically foxmtbr did it with the same 3D Warehouse during the start of Palm Dunes, and instead of saying "Hey, you plagerized!" you say "Hey, great work! Keep it up!". Since then I do not know if foxmtbr has asked for permission to continue using them, but I thought I'd kindly throw this out there before someone else slams it in your face like a banana cream pie to a clown.

Anthony
Actually, he didnt, (as seen in his post below) except for the Stadium Seats Textures (which he already mentioned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Actually, Patrick, the term 'Gotham' far predates Batman. It was a nickname for Manhattanized urban areas from the 20's and 30's, though was used as early as 1807.

But it is very wrong to steal textures. Not only those glass boxes, but I see some Battery Park City textures from his WTC model and the Equitable Building textures from it as well. Definately a no no. At least give the guy credit.
Good Point. And Yes, the Equitable and Woolworth Textures are very noticable.

Tanster - I did not make the texture in the first pic. Tanster, I'd probably say take them off, but I dont want to look like an Ass, so I guess I'll let you use them.

My basic point is: I just got mad that you gave no credit or asked for permission. Its too late to ask now, This happened so many times (ESPECIALLY on 3D Warehouse) that I attacked you. Sorry for attacking you, you can use them if you want. Stauntons textures are all made by me (well modifed, etc.) but usuing others just dosnt make your city your own. If you really cant do it because you dont have the right programs, then you really have no choice, for example, like Foxmtbr, his textures were made for people like him, sortof.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 5:42 AM

so those are your textures??????sorry for taking them i did not know.....If i knew that those where your textures (which i still think there not because i could of swore i got this from a website) then i would of never put them on. Yes some buildings are actualy buildings but those are my favorite buildings.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 5:55 AM
Desert Dweller

Ah, no hard feelings, I'm sorry for attacking you like that. Well anyways, yeah I guess you can use them.

And yes those are, I can compare if you want, but whatever, no big deal really

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 1:56 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Not that it truly matters:

I'm referring to when you started. You even said yourself in the beginning of the thread that all you did was google "building textures" which would lead you to 3D Warehouse. I'm not mad or anything, but I just feel you're posting incorrect information. I'm also not tryin to point fingers at you foxmtbr, just kindly pointing it out.

If you look up at the picture above, you'll see these textures (taken from 3D Warehouse):

Although now I feel bad for straying the topic off course, I just wanted to kindly point this out to you, like I say, before someone else harshly does, and I don't want to come across as a jerk or anything. In fact, if I recall correctly, as long as you cite the source, and as long as you don't make money using hem, then it shouldn't violate plageristic laws, and if they do violate them, then I'll just keep my mouth shut

Anthony

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Feb 27, 2007 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Actually, Patrick, the term 'Gotham' far predates Batman. It was a nickname for Manhattanized urban areas from the 20's and 30's, though was used as early as 1807.

But it is very wrong to steal textures. Not only those glass boxes, but I see some Battery Park City textures from his WTC model and the Equitable Building textures from it as well. Definately a no no. At least give the guy credit.
Im shure he pick that name because batman no because the term of 1807
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanster View Post
i "copy and past" most of my textures from here
http://www.environment-textures.com/...ngs-Historical
which building has your texture???
i dont know how i could of used your texture.
also can you post the link on how to make textures
sounds like fun????
Very useful site
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 12:21 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Not that it truly matters:

I'm referring to when you started. You even said yourself in the beginning of the thread that all you did was google "building textures" which would lead you to 3D Warehouse. I'm not mad or anything, but I just feel you're posting incorrect information. I'm also not tryin to point fingers at you foxmtbr, just kindly pointing it out.

If you look up at the picture above, you'll see these textures (taken from 3D Warehouse):

http://amazingtextures.com/textures/.../BUILD_088.jpg
http://amazingtextures.com/textures/.../BUILD_093.jpg
http://amazingtextures.com/textures/.../BUILD_019.jpg

Although now I feel bad for straying the topic off course, I just wanted to kindly point this out to you, like I say, before someone else harshly does, and I don't want to come across as a jerk or anything. In fact, if I recall correctly, as long as you cite the source, and as long as you don't make money using hem, then it shouldn't violate plageristic laws, and if they do violate them, then I'll just keep my mouth shut

Anthony
I didn't get those textures from the 3d warehouse, I got them searching Google images, from texture websites(not the 3D warehouse). That just means that someone on the warehouse found the same site I did for textures.

For example, you can find many of the textures I have used on these sites, stored in my favorites:
http://mayang.com/textures/Buildings...ngs/index.html

http://absolutetextures.com/cityscape.html

http://www.texturama.com/main.php

Obviously, since I found these textures on websites, many other people are capable of finding them too, so it doesn't surprise me at all that other people have the same ones.

P.S. I decided to check the URL on the images you posted, and it is www.amazingtextures.com. I checked the site, and yes, that is where I got them. I don't see what is wrong with getting textures from a texture site, lol... I'm even registered there, so it's all good.

Now, I think we've all (myself included, my apologies)hijacked Tanster's thread enough, maybe we should just let him get back to his city.

Last edited by foxmtbr; Feb 28, 2007 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 12:37 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmtbr View Post
Now, I think we've all (myself included, my apologies)hijacked Tanster's thread enough, maybe we should just let him get back to his city.
Sounds good! I apologize for doing quite a bit for the hijacking.

Anthony

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 6:25 AM

UPDate

Some high wealth shopping

this street will be filled with high wealth stores
does not have a name yet but it will

Some buildings on the same street

Some new buildings that have been built

This residential building is almost complete

Extra......

My Pano LOL it came out a little off

Alot of my buildings dont have names but they will ,soon.Probably by the next update

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 8:27 AM

loving the advertising there!!! i like how you have that one building with a construction texture...its a cool little bonus to your city's life

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 7:04 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Looks suspiciously like my road texture at the bottom...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 12:37 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Yes, the ads are great! I like the historical feeling with all the old-style buildings. Nice job!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 2:47 AM

Quote:

Looks suspiciously like my road texture at the bottom...
is it okay if i use it? thats probably the only texture i knew belong to somebody i did not know textures where such a big problem I need to be more careful because i dont know how it saves into sketchup. I knew that was your because i remeber you put it the "our city" streets and i gues it saved on there

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 3:33 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Yeah guys, come on...he's just borrowing road textures. He probably couldn't find any, and I had just as much trouble looking for them. I really don't see what the problem is with textures...it's like, make your own or hit the road, now.

Anthony

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 5:51 AM

Some Historic Building Names

The Arch Tower or the "ATB"

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 5:03 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

No, I don't care that you use the texture, just give credit.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 11:29 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
No, I don't care that you use the texture, just give credit.
That, I agree with

Anthony

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 11:59 PM
Desert Dweller

Is that a Times Square themed area in one of those pics?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 3:07 AM

^^ not really its more like a Rodeo Dr. themed area
but im planing to do a theatre themed area. "so you could probably call it a times square themed area"

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 5:13 AM
Desert Dweller

Well yeah, not the Rodeo Drive one, but in the Rodeo Drive Themed pic, in the background there seems to be an area simular to Times Square, but is still in its planning stages. Cant wait

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup