HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
The Charter is about interaction with governments. It has nothing to do with what happens on privately-held communications media.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:17 AM

Can someone explain how supporting fossil fuels is now considered far right extremist views? I consider myself to be pretty left, but this is behaviour is generally supported by the right, but is by no means whatsoever far right.

When it comes to the charter, it simply states:
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

In our cause freedom of opinion and expression should apply. Someone obviously doesn’t like the fact that Canadian Oil has to go through the Panama Canal. That is his opinion. And he has a right to that opinion. So I fully support pipelines, no I don’t. It largely depends on the circumstances imo but what matters is that we be allowed to both express our opinions because we are free to do so. And if anyone has a problem with that, they can leave.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:52 AM

Supporting fossils fuels is a pretty conservative position (even if the person supporting it isn't) but not far right. What's far right is the rest of the content on the website he linked, with racist articles right on the front page. We should also consider the behaviour of making a whole passionate post about an issue that is at best tangentially related to the discussion in this thread from a user who seems to post only about fossil fuels and only in a supportive view.

PS: If you think supporting Big Oil isn't a far-right view, I encourage you to do even the slightest research into the lobbying habits of those companies.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 2:27 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Not Energy East again.

Even if the political climate would allow for an easy approval, I'm of the mind that very little benefit would flow to SJ. A temporary boost during construction, and then a handful of permanent jobs at the export terminal. I believe ballpark 50 jobs? Hardly make or break for the region.

And I have my doubts about the magnitude of any temporary construction boom too. I have it on good authority that TransCanada's plan would have been to house the majority of construction workers at temporary camps, meaning there would have been very little in the way of permanent improvements to the city's neighbourhoods or housing stock, something we would otherwise hope to come in tandem with local economic development.

The fact of the matter is that Saint John is actually doing okay now. Our population is growing, largely thanks to international immigration. Multi-unit development is accelerating on the Peninsula and throughout the city. And it's all happening without a big catalytic boom-bust capital injection (e.g. '90s frigate program, Lepreau refurb, Energy East, etc).

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
The Charter is about interaction with governments. It has nothing to do with what happens on privately-held communications media.
lol... thanks for the laugh.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Supporting fossils fuels is a pretty conservative position (even if the person supporting it isn't) but not far right. What's far right is the rest of the content on the website he linked, with racist articles right on the front page. We should also consider the behaviour of making a whole passionate post about an issue that is at best tangentially related to the discussion in this thread from a user who seems to post only about fossil fuels and only in a supportive view.

PS: If you think supporting Big Oil isn't a far-right view, I encourage you to do even the slightest research into the lobbying habits of those companies.

The oil industry has nothing on bankers and big pharma when it comes to lobbying. Some consider public unions more dangerous than industry lobbyists. Lobbyists only promote themselves and their industries. That covers industries, etc. from A to Z. Then they help the politicians write legislation that protects and promotes their interest group.

I didn't post this article with any political motive. I have not read or watched any of the other articles or videos that were promoted. I have no political allegiance, and no allegiance to any media company, anywhere - official or otherwise. I posted the link to that article because it would be of interest to those tracking economic activity in Saint John. I reviewed the recent posts on this site to see if this story had been covered anywhere. It had not.

My positive interest in the energy industry is based on the absolute necessity of oil and natural gas, as well as anything else that maintains and increases the standard of living for the entirety of humanity.

It is old news by now, but oil is an essential ingredient in almost everything we consume today. In an ideal universe, there would be an alternative, but so far there is not. If we run out, or simply stop consuming fossil fuels, humanity will be in unimaginable trouble. That day is coming, but there is NO alternative, known, or even on the horizon today.

Without fossil fuels, humanity is regressing to some significantly prior era.

I did not put forth any viewpoint on any other story. I do not endorse anything else on the site, nor on any other media site, or political site. I made no statement of support for or against any other information provided on that site, or any other.

I did make one statement supporting the energy east pipeline. Everybody is welcome to their opinion, and I am exercising that right now, and will continue to do so. I believe a 4500 km pipeline is far safer, and more efficient than trains, trucks, and ships. The efficiency difference alone is justification for the pipeline.

The pipeline would help to economically unite Saint John, and NB, with the rest of Canada. The pipeline itself may not provide a large number of jobs after construction, but it would upgrade and centralize an industry in Saint John that would attract other industries - if properly promoted - politically and otherwise. Do some easy research to see how much money is being invested in NEW plastic manufacturing. Just go out and try to capture a small part of that. If you don't, others will. All high tech electronics manufacturing is heavily dependent upon fossil fuels.

It would allow Canada to keep more of the value of refined oil products in Canada.

If you have the luxury of not wanting that economic activity, then why not just tell Irving to pack up and move on. The pulp mill stinks to high heaven anyway. The refinery is an air quality hazard and a safety hazard in other ways. It's way past it's usefulness. Even ships in the Bay of Fundy are a hazard to the life in the bay. We can survive on unreliable wind mills and solar panels - that work on nice sunny and windy days - not too windy though.

Maybe Saint John is just doing much better than the rest of the world in a time when economic activity worldwide has cratered, and is likely to stay that way for a very long time. That would be nice, but I haven't heard that.

That is the very reason WHY Cenovus is shipping two tankers through the Panama canal as I write this. The situation in Canada does not allow any other way but the oil is critical.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 7:06 AM

I’m deeply disappointed that the Saint John development thread is being run over by a controversial political subject. This conversation turned toxic really quickly and arguably doesn’t meet the expectations of the forum. This thread is for Saint Johners to come together and promote our city, not to attack one another. I get it, energy easy is controversial and everyone has their opinions but next time consider how you convey your argument and how you respond to others’.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 11:10 AM

Meanwhile, how about those new buildings going up in Saint John?
Can anyone offer any commentary about the architectural designs nowadays of new buildings here? Before boring boxes were built like Agar Place. Now new builds seem to have a lot of thought put into them adding to Saint John’s unique look and feel. A few that come to mind are the law courts, Irving HQ and The Wellington renderings. I’m anxious to see the final result of The Telegraph. We aren’t building the standard cement and glass towers you see going up in Halifax so seems we are going down a different road.

Other thoughts:
When you drive down St. Patrick Street, the crane for the Telegraph looms very large due to location on hill - this building will add density in area.

The church on Germain St between Duke and Princess apparently sold again. Hopefully new owners have plans for it. Last sold in 2018 for $250K

Excavation for Atlantica looks dug out and ready for foundation work

The site for Rocca’s Italian themed 6 story apartment building off mountainview is all cleared. They were lucky - looks like all rich soil with no rock to blast.

Soon we could have 4 cranes on uptown skyline.

I visited Haafencity section of Hamburg, Germany last summer. I could totally see the Fundy Quay site taking on that style. Anxious to find out the plans for it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Meanwhile, how about those new buildings going up in Saint John?
Can anyone offer any commentary about the architectural designs nowadays of new buildings here? Before boring boxes were built like Agar Place. Now new builds seem to have a lot of thought put into them adding to Saint John’s unique look and feel. A few that come to mind are the law courts, Irving HQ and The Wellington renderings. I’m anxious to see the final result of The Telegraph. We aren’t building the standard cement and glass towers you see going up in Halifax so seems we are going down a different road.

Other thoughts:
When you drive down St. Patrick Street, the crane for the Telegraph looms very large due to location on hill - this building will add density in area.

The church on Germain St between Duke and Princess apparently sold again. Hopefully new owners have plans for it. Last sold in 2018 for $250K

Excavation for Atlantica looks dug out and ready for foundation work

The site for Rocca’s Italian themed 6 story apartment building off mountainview is all cleared. They were lucky - looks like all rich soil with no rock to blast.

Soon we could have 4 cranes on uptown skyline.

I visited Haafencity section of Hamburg, Germany last summer. I could totally see the Fundy Quay site taking on that style. Anxious to find out the plans for it.
Excellent viewpoint. I did take a look at the Rocco site and yes very rich soil. This is my area so I have great interest in its build and finish. Great to see these and other SJ area projects come to fruition.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
Excellent viewpoint. I did take a look at the Rocco site and yes very rich soil. This is my area so I have great interest in its build and finish. Great to see these and other SJ area projects come to fruition.
Even as a Moncton person, I always cheer for Saint John. Fundy Quay would be a game changer. I really hope that it happens. The thing is, if/when it gets developed, we really need it to be a significant project. Something with height. Such a prime location should have substantial developed on site. I can see it happening over a long period of time, piece by piece.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 2:14 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I’m deeply disappointed that the Saint John development thread is being run over by a controversial political subject.
Agreed. If you want to discuss climate change, oil, or anything else political you're free to go to the main Canada forum and discuss there. This thread is about Saint John developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Even as a Moncton person, I always cheer for Saint John. Fundy Quay would be a game changer. I really hope that it happens. The thing is, if/when it gets developed, we really need it to be a significant project. Something with height. Such a prime location should have substantial developed on site. I can see it happening over a long period of time, piece by piece.
Height does not equal good or substantial - Brentwood Towers should be a good example of this. Fundy Quay needs to be developed in a responsible and useable manner with a development that benefits both locals, tourists, and all others. Building a 20 storey condo tower would not be as smart as building a shorter, smaller, more well-rounded, multi-use development.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 12:30 AM

The Rocca project off of mountainview in Forest Hills - the renderings presented to PAC show a 6 story building, but the building permit on the “watch us grow” website indicates 4 stories. Has the project been scaled down ?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 4:31 PM

I didn't snap a photo, but there's a new A&W under construction on the Westside, they're just starting the digging for foundations and it's on the corner of Fairville/Catherwood st, in front of the Lawtons building.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 6:52 PM

The West Side Modernization Project is a $205-million infrastructure project that will see the creation of a longer, stronger pier, deeper channel and increased cargo capacity by 2023. The project is being funded through a three-way partnership between the Government of Canada, Government of New Brunswick and Port Saint John.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 7:50 PM

Arlington Place, the new 89-unit apartment building in Millidgeville is on the list of the most viewed projects on the CCD website.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 12:35 PM

A great article on the progress being made at the Port of Saint John.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ra...c-canada-ports

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
That’s my area so I have been watching it daily since it was dropped off to see when they start. Very excited for this to happen!
I could see the arm of a cement truck from the bottom of McAllister Drive the other day in that general area, I assume it was for this project. Any photos you could share with us?

Furthermore the controversial new apartment project at the corner of Millidge & Daniel Ave has resumed work. This is my corner of the city so I’ll be sharing updates.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:36 AM

Quote:
I could see the arm of a cement truck from the bottom of McAllister Drive the other day in that general area, I assume it was for this project. Any photos you could share with us?

Furthermore the controversial new apartment project at the corner of Millidge & Daniel Ave has resumed work. This is my corner of the city so I’ll be sharing updates.
Yes a foundation was poured. They cleared the entire site of neighborhood, not just for the largest apartment building. Still unclear if it’s a 6 story building as rendered or 4 story as per city’s building permit site
They are moving fast with this construction

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:

I did get some pics today so will get them uploaded ASAP. In meantime they did clear the site extensively as has been noted so that’s encouraging as the main building takes shape that they will continue on into the next phase. The groundwork is laid and walls are starting to take shape. To be continued...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 2:04 AM

Almost 700 units being built, or about to be built in region. Add to list if I missed something. Apparently a lot more in pipeline. List does not include recent completions of Mitchell Apartments, Millenium Dr, Gulliver’s lookout - probably adds another 100 units.

83 - The Wentworth - Uptown
88 - Seabird Developments - Millidgeville
78 - La Calabria - Forest Hills
89 - Arlington Place - Millidgeville
32 - Telegraph Square - Uptown
49 - Village View (Phase 4) - Millidgeville
47 - The Wellington - Uptown
29 - The Atlantic - Uptown
24 - Central Park Condos - Rothesay
42 - 309 Hampton Rd - Quispamsis
24 - Heatherway - Saint John East
100 - Elmtree Hill - Quispamsis

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces