HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 6:05 AM
Chicago

Willis Tower - 233 S Wacker

December 23, 2019

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
December 23, 2019

^ That tile/brick/whatever… yikes

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
^ That tile/brick/whatever… yikes
Not to my taste but easily removed later and replaced with something more sympathetic with no lasting harm.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
Not to my taste but easily removed later and replaced with something more sympathetic with no lasting harm.
Sure, but it is a particularly incongruous choice given the relationship to Willis Tower. If it were it's own building, it is kind of just whatever - but some of the finish choices on the addition are two steps removed from the established design patterns in the tower. The clear glass, ovoid skylight in the entrance, noisy tile pattern (that doesn't really fit the clean structural lines of the tower either) all add up to something that sits in a valley where you can see a relationship to the tower but also is far enough away with a lot of choices that it creates weird tension.

I wish they would have committed to a more seamless extension or gone fully in the opposite direction with something that more deliberately contrasted with the tower. This is just kind of awkwardly middling.

Last edited by jc5680; Dec 24, 2019 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 8:28 PM

47th Ward Ald. Matt Martin has denied a request to downzone Andersonville/Uptown south of Foster.

https://twitter.com/AldMattMartin/st...42508540035072

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 10:26 PM

sears tower base definitely could have been better design wise, but the new amenities and activated street serving the office space and visitors over rides it for me. happy with it for what it is

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
Looks like my kitchens splashback.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 4:13 AM

939 W Fulton

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolk View Post
47th Ward Ald. Matt Martin has denied a request to downzone Andersonville/Uptown south of Foster.

https://twitter.com/AldMattMartin/st...42508540035072
Sanity prevails! It's a Christmas Miracle.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 11:19 PM

I rather like the tile on the Sears tower base. Adds some nice texture.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 4:43 PM

Finally! A This old strip mall has bugged me forever. It's steps from the Addison brown line and makes this big intersection feel so desolate (although it's not helped at all by the drive-thru Dunkin Donuts across the street...)

Currently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/17...!4d-87.6730912

PROJECT NAME
1744 W. Addison

DETAILS
Applicant is seeking to build a 6-story (72 ft) mixed-use building. Commercial-retail and residential amenity spaces at grade level, and 50 dwelling units above. Residential amenities and a rooftop deck on the 6th floor. 10 off-street parking spaces in 2 attached garages at the rear of the property (through a Transit-Oriented Development designation due to proximity to the Addison brown line station) and 55 bike spaces.

Also, this might be even more neighborhood-centric but anyone who frequents the area will be glad to know the site of the old Lincoln Restaurant at Lincoln/Irving finally has a proposal for a 5 store, 24-unit apartment building with 11 parking spaces. This lot has sat empty for a while:

Rendering:
Currently: https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...!4d-87.6792588

Last edited by Handro; Dec 27, 2019 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 5:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ most excellent on both counts!

chicago tried its damn hardest to wreck itself with all of those stupid fucking little strip malls along the major streets back in the '70s/'80s/'90s.

it's always heartwarming whenever we see some of that damage repaired piece by piece with more urban-oriented redevelopment.

they're not as sexy as the big towers going up downtown, but in aggregate they have a bigger impact on the overall fabric of the city, IMO.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

chicago tried its damn hardest to wreck itself with all of those stupid fucking little strip malls along the major streets back in the '70s/'80s/'90s.

it's beyond heartwarming whenever we see that damage repaired piece by piece with more urban-oriented redevelopment.

they're not as sexy as the big towers going up downtown, but in aggregate they have a bigger impact on the overall fabric of the city, IMO.
Totally agree!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:

it's always heartwarming whenever we see some of that damage repaired piece by piece with more urban-oriented redevelopment.

Another awesome healing process that's been ramped up full bore lately is all the odd sized lots along the Kennedy being wiped out. It seems I see another odd triangular building start going up every couple months. They've gotten all the way out to Belmont, looks like they are about to start the second lot by the huge Kedzie/Belmont underpass any day now.

The interesting effect is that these buildings extend the street wall all the way to the freeway. Feels like you are driving through Paris on a freeway when you peer down the streets and see the street wall extending to the horizon .

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 7:45 PM
BANNED

^I’ve noticed that as well, Louie and I’m loving it. Not to mention the growing canyon surprise once you make it all the way to the loop

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Another awesome healing process that's been ramped up full bore lately is all the odd sized lots along the Kennedy being wiped out. It seems I see another odd triangular building start going up every couple months. They've gotten all the way out to Belmont, looks like they are about to start the second lot by the huge Kedzie/Belmont underpass any day now.

The interesting effect is that these buildings extend the street wall all the way to the freeway. Feels like you are driving through Paris on a freeway when you peer down the streets and see the street wall extending to the horizon .
Speaking of which - that proposed 7 story mixed income building with 75 units that pissed off Jefferson Park residents at 5150 N Northwest Hwy scored building permits the other day.

https://courbanize.com/projects/5150nwh/information

And of course hopefully you saw that the one at Elston and Webster which will have 366 units scored permits the other day too.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:

Always pains me to see where vintage mixed use buildings on commerical corridors from my time in the city during the '60s and '70s was replaced with unsightly strip plazas. It hasn't ended yet. One point rarely mentioned is the loss of affordable housing from those vintage buildings replaced with only commerical space. Part of a city offering more affordable housing is to keep the housing it already has.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 4:53 AM

^^^ The vast vast majority of affordable housing lost in Chicago is due to the demolition of historic buildings, not because of developers redeveloping them. Most of the time they aren't even replaced by a strip mall, they just become vacant lots collecting trash and attracting vagrants...

The only evidence one needs to confirm this is to take a drive around the boulevards from Logan to Kenwood.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 6:29 AM

That Shake Shack tile on the Sears Tower looks horrible.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 8:08 PM
Development Shill

Shake Shack is overrated and overpriced. Still don't understand why anyone gets it when if I'm gonna spend money on a good burger I can just go to 5Guys or GoodStuff Eatery

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development