HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Per Nashville Now Next a proposed 30 story hotel and condo building is planned as part of the Paseo South Gulch project. This will be the second of the 2 tower project.

Read more here: https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/04...shville-gulch/
Even more news for the Paseo South Gulch development. Two additional towers are now planned for the site. A 30 story residential tower and a 22 story office tower.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 5:12 AM
Future God

Excellent designs... hopefully this pushes other developers to up their game around town.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
There is always more going on in these mega-plans than what is advertised. I have to wonder if the new roadway is being designed as a track for the Formula 1 auto race.

Also, I wonder if the invented need for a new railroad bridge becomes an excuse to add vehicular/pedestrian to its replacement. It's in line with Ellington Parkway, so this could be a way to finally unlock the capacity of that chronically underused roadway. You can, of course, cross the river from Ellington on either Jefferson or whatever the bridge is that takes you to the state capitol area, but those routes each have traffic lights. It's inevitable that the area around the Capitol Mall will be redeveloped, and every bit of increased access that can be created will help.
The area around the Capitol Mall has already been mostly redeveloped or there are plans for the remainder of the parcels with the exception of just a few now. There are only the lots around those bail bonding businesses left and the State parking lots, and we can only hope the state will develop those at some point. I think the rest of the lots around the tracks will develop regardless of what happens sooner rather than later as development is encroaching from three sides.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 4:11 PM

Any movement at all on transit ? In any case, it doesn’t appear to be a priority (or at least a disincentive) for the world of people and companies beating a path to Nashville.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Any movement at all on transit ? In any case, it doesn’t appear to be a priority (or at least a disincentive) for the world of people and companies beating a path to Nashville.
It doesn't appear to be the case. Dedicated bus lanes on this proposed new road are a drop in the bucket compared to what is needed.

The light rail subway plan that failed recently at the polls was a good plan but needed to be bigger. There needed to be an additional underground line between Vanderbilt and East Nashville, with an underground station roughly where Nissan Stadium stands today. Building all of that right now would be much, much less expensive than waiting until the area is partially built-out. Having a large materials staging area is critical for controlling the costs of underground construction (luckily, Broadway is a wide street and so could be kept partially open during construction of a subway station).

I'll add that a modern streetcar line in a protected median on the proposed new roadway would be a great addition to the plan and partially-underground system that is an inevitability.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
It doesn't appear to be the case. Dedicated bus lanes on this proposed new road are a drop in the bucket compared to what is needed.

The light rail subway plan that failed recently at the polls was a good plan but needed to be bigger. There needed to be an additional underground line between Vanderbilt and East Nashville, with an underground station roughly where Nissan Stadium stands today. Building all of that right now would be much, much less expensive than waiting until the area is partially built-out. Having a large materials staging area is critical for controlling the costs of underground construction (luckily, Broadway is a wide street and so could be kept partially open during construction of a subway station).

I'll add that a modern streetcar line in a protected median on the proposed new roadway would be a great addition to the plan and partially-underground system that is an inevitability.
Whatever happened to Cooper’s $1.9 plan ?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Excellent designs... hopefully this pushes other developers to up their game around town.
Up their game how?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 1:06 PM

Cooper's plan changes with the underwear he is wearing on that particular day! I think that is why we are seeing more people come out announcing their candidacy for mayor now. His priorities have shown him to be arrogant and very flippant to what truly needs to be done.
His opposition to an affordable housing project just because he did not like the windows shows this.
I do think the more he is challenged on issues the more he will bury himself.
Nashville needs a truly inspirational leader with a vision and not more of the same ole same ole we have had for the last few years.

There were bad choices made. The priorities that will have to be taken up are many including housing, homelessness, crime, education, mass transit, growth issues, affordability, among others. Some of these will be out of the control of the mayor as that person can only lay out a plan and present it to the council.
I am all for being racially diverse, however when you attempt to base your hires on diversity and not the most qualified person, you shoot yourself in the foot and I think this has happened several times with the director of schools several times. The jury is out on the current person in that role IMO.
I think the police chief was a good hire from within for the most part.
The WEGO person seems OK, but his hands are tied because of Cooper. The ECD guy would have been my pick from Dallas.

Coopers bus plan was a dumb idea from the start! In order to have a viable bus plan in a city like Nashville, you have to have routes that run no more than 15 minutes apart, and that run on blocks that are within walking distance from all of your residents and this would do neither. It was a patch work of crap. His proposal was for crosstown routes, but most folks were not going crosstown, they were going downtown. I could do a better plan with a 6-year-old in my sleep with a coloring book.
He knew he was not going to do anything with buses. This was just a ploy to keep a few folks happy for a short time to buy him time.

Look for another mayor with a big plan after Cooper is out. Austin's plan did not pass the first time, but it did the second time around. I think that is what will happen here. The problem is it will take cooperation from outlying counties to make it work correctly.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvilleron View Post
Cooper's plan changes with the underwear he is wearing on that particular day! I think that is why we are seeing more people come out announcing their candidacy for mayor now. His priorities have shown him to be arrogant and very flippant to what truly needs to be done.
His opposition to an affordable housing project just because he did not like the windows shows this.
I do think the more he is challenged on issues the more he will bury himself.
Nashville needs a truly inspirational leader with a vision and not more of the same ole same ole we have had for the last few years.

There were bad choices made. The priorities that will have to be taken up are many including housing, homelessness, crime, education, mass transit, growth issues, affordability, among others. Some of these will be out of the control of the mayor as that person can only lay out a plan and present it to the council.
I am all for being racially diverse, however when you attempt to base your hires on diversity and not the most qualified person, you shoot yourself in the foot and I think this has happened several times with the director of schools several times. The jury is out on the current person in that role IMO.
I think the police chief was a good hire from within for the most part.
The WEGO person seems OK, but his hands are tied because of Cooper. The ECD guy would have been my pick from Dallas.

Coopers bus plan was a dumb idea from the start! In order to have a viable bus plan in a city like Nashville, you have to have routes that run no more than 15 minutes apart, and that run on blocks that are within walking distance from all of your residents and this would do neither. It was a patch work of crap. His proposal was for crosstown routes, but most folks were not going crosstown, they were going downtown. I could do a better plan with a 6-year-old in my sleep with a coloring book.
He knew he was not going to do anything with buses. This was just a ploy to keep a few folks happy for a short time to buy him time.

Look for another mayor with a big plan after Cooper is out. Austin's plan did not pass the first time, but it did the second time around. I think that is what will happen here. The problem is it will take cooperation from outlying counties to make it work correctly.
Not to get overly political, but it is a shame Megan Barry shot herself in the foot regarding the transit referendum and then the cheating scandal soon thereafter.

As long as Nashville doesn't elect someone like Carol Swain or the like, they'll be good.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 4:31 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
...Austin's plan did not pass the first time, but it did the second time around. I think that is what will happen here.
I hope - for Nashville's sake. But, just for accuracy, Austin had three different transit initiatives that were put up to pubic vote between 2000 and 2020 (2000, 2014 and 2020). It was the third time that was the charm.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 8:01 PM

Does anyone have a recent pic of the entire skyline?

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Does anyone have a recent pic of the entire skyline?

Let me see what I can find. That is a tall order as it is hard to get a shot of the skyline from the right angle as it is about 3 miles wide.

The skyline continues to grow in the Green Hills area as well with 3 or 4 more towers announced there.

It will be changing a lot after construction starts on some East Bank & Germantown projects and 3 more buildings over 300' on the west end about to start along with 5 200+ foot towers there as well, not to mention the 14+ Gulch towers that have just started or are about to start. SoBro is about to have around 18 towers start within the next year or year and a half.

The timeline on the Reed District & the Beaman District projects are biq question marks right now. There seems to be a large TDOT study in process that is slowing those down some.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Not to get overly political, but it is a shame Megan Barry shot herself in the foot regarding the transit referendum and then the cheating scandal soon thereafter.

As long as Nashville doesn't elect someone like Carol Swain or the like, they'll be good.
Carol Swain is exactly what Nashville needs. Commonsense fiscal and quality of life governance is exactly the type of leadership that will stop Nashville from becoming the outhouse that so many other cities have become because of a pea brained ideology.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 12:11 PM

So many new nashville skyscrapers seem to be in the 20-30 story range. Is this for economics, as building taller would require a 4th elevator?

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 1:03 PM

I found a public pic from a Metro You Tube presentation for the Fort Negley plan that was presented this past week.
The below pic is a screen shot from that presentation. I hope this is OK with the MOD's.
Since it is a public document on a government website, I do not think there is a problem with it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Let me see what I can find. That is a tall order as it is hard to get a shot of the skyline from the right angle as it is about 3 miles wide.

The skyline continues to grow in the Green Hills area as well with 3 or 4 more towers announced there.

It will be changing a lot after construction starts on some East Bank & Germantown projects and 3 more buildings over 300' on the west end about to start along with 5 200+ foot towers there as well, not to mention the 14+ Gulch towers that have just started or are about to start. SoBro is about to have around 18 towers start within the next year or year and a half.

The timeline on the Reed District & the Beaman District projects are biq question marks right now. There seems to be a large TDOT study in process that is slowing those down some.
Wow, that's a lot! The future skyline is going to be a real beast!

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:17 AM

I think of few cities that will have more active skyscrapers all side-by-side on this scale right now. Maybe the immediate area around Austin's Republic Square?

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 4:35 AM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
I think of few cities that will have more active skyscrapers all side-by-side on this scale right now. Maybe the immediate area around Austin's Republic Square?
This site will also include a 4,000-seat concert hall, movie theaters, exclusive shopping and eating and will be two blocks away from lower Broad, one of the hottest entertainment districts in America. So to answer your question, likely not.

BTW, the picture above was created by yours truly from a Channel 5 helicopter picture and posted for the URBAN PLANET website.

Last edited by MidTenn1; May 11, 2022 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 12:03 PM

The 60 story tower is still going through approvals. While it's looking good that it will pass all approvals. Keep in mind this is Nashville. And, Nashville always manages to get in the way with tall buildings like this one. Also, groundbreaking is not anticipated till January of 2023. TG seems to be moving things along at a good pace. But, I'm not holding my breath that this will start sooner rather than later. I hope that I'm wrong. Because, construction costs are rising and will continue to rise with the Feds upping interest rates and supply issues. So, the sooner this is finalized and gets started the better.

I read that some NY developers are locking in prices for building materials for proposed projects. I wonder if TG is attempting to do the same considering that he'll have multiple projects going on at once.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
The 60 story tower is still going through approvals. While it's looking good that it will pass all approvals. Keep in mind this is Nashville. And, Nashville always manages to get in the way with tall buildings like this one. Also, groundbreaking is not anticipated till January of 2023. TG seems to be moving things along at a good pace. But, I'm not holding my breath that this will start sooner rather than later. I hope that I'm wrong. Because, construction costs are rising and will continue to rise with the Feds upping interest rates and supply issues. So, the sooner this is finalized and gets started the better.

I read that some NY developers are locking in prices for building materials for proposed projects. I wonder if TG is attempting to do the same considering that he'll have multiple projects going on at once.
Strangely, I’ve not heard any concerns expressed about the effect an expanding war might have on projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations