HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 1:11 AM

Some great footage of late 60s early 70s turf (often mud) fields in the CFL. Rare to see colour footage of a turfed Exhibition Stadium.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Some great footage of late 60s early 70s turf (often mud) fields in the CFL. Rare to see colour footage of a turfed Exhibition Stadium.

Video Link
Great Video for CFL fans!!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 8:28 AM

Stopped watching football in early 2000s so I'm not familiar with the names on jerseys. It seems to me a regular season game should be played in Maritimes, hell I think the Grey Cup should be played at least once in Halifax no matter if they have a team or not. If the stadium is too small in Halifax then I would suggest a game be played in summer games stadium in Saint John it can hold a pretty decent attendance 30 000
So if that sounds like a dumb Idea then move along

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 12:35 PM

We'll be moving along.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotaname View Post
Stopped watching football in early 2000s so I'm not familiar with the names on jerseys. It seems to me a regular season game should be played in Maritimes, hell I think the Grey Cup should be played at least once in Halifax no matter if they have a team or not. If the stadium is too small in Halifax then I would suggest a game be played in summer games stadium in Saint John it can hold a pretty decent attendance 30 000
So if that sounds like a dumb Idea then move along
Can it actually host 30K? I've never heard of it before.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Can it actually host 30K? I've never heard of it before.
No, that's why I made the comment I did. They are not going to put a Grey Cup in a stadium that is 83% temporary seating.

Saint John hosted the first and second CFL pre-season contests in the Maritime region in 1986 and 1987 at Jeux Canada Games Stadium. The 5,000 seat stadium was expanded to 10,000 for games featuring Montreal and attracted an overcapacity crowd of 11,463 in the first year and 8,000 in the second year in the rain.

The stadium opened in 1985 on the campus of the University of New Brunswick Saint John. The stadium is capable of having 20,000 temporary seats added to the permanent capacity of 5,000 for a total capacity of 25,000

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 7:56 AM

Thank you for that info I was looking similar for it on web to post. 25 k is still decent enough.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:06 PM
Community Guy

I'd be the first in line for a Halifax or Maritimes based Grey Cup.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:21 AM
Community Guy

Video Link

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:42 AM

^ Wow... that is something! I have seldom seen Canadian football footage that old other than Grey Cup games.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Wow... that is something! I have seldom seen Canadian football footage that old other than Grey Cup games.
Alberta Premier Don Getty at QB (above)

Video Link

1953 Edmonton Eskimos coached by future Univ of Texas all time great Darrell Royal:

Lots of people of note:

Normie Kwong: Alberta Lieutenant Governor
Steve Paproski: Minister of State for Fitness and Amateur Sport and Minister of State for Multiculturalism

Frank Morris: Eskimos’ Director of Player Development. from 1973-1988
Eagle Keys: Head coach: Edm, Sask, BC

Dr Steve Mendryk: Professor Univ of Alberta

Heisman winner: Billy Vessels

Future pro wrestlers and promoters: Gene Kiniski, Joe Blanchard (father of Tully), and Wilbur (Bill) Snyder

Almost forgot

Fred Davis: Host of Front Page Challenge

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:29 PM
Ham-burgher

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
No, that's why I made the comment I did. They are not going to put a Grey Cup in a stadium that is 83% temporary seating.

Saint John hosted the first and second CFL pre-season contests in the Maritime region in 1986 and 1987 at Jeux Canada Games Stadium. The 5,000 seat stadium was expanded to 10,000 for games featuring Montreal and attracted an overcapacity crowd of 11,463 in the first year and 8,000 in the second year in the rain.

The stadium opened in 1985 on the campus of the University of New Brunswick Saint John. The stadium is capable of having 20,000 temporary seats added to the permanent capacity of 5,000 for a total capacity of 25,000
The Medavie Blue Cross Stadium at UdeM in Moncton already has 10,000 permanent seats, and was expanded to 20,000 seats for the first two (of four) Touchdown Atlantic regular season games beginning in 2010.

There have been more CFL games played in Moncton than any other Atlantic Canadian city..........

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Medavie Blue Cross Stadium at UdeM in Moncton already has 10,000 permanent seats, and was expanded to 20,000 seats
The last I heard the city of Monkeytown bought those temporary stands and stored them somewhere with the intention it was cheaper to own them than to rent them and they could also rent them out. Don't know if it is still true and if they are stored somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The last I heard the city of Monkeytown bought those temporary stands and stored them somewhere with the intention it was cheaper to own them than to rent them and they could also rent them out. Don't know if it is still true and if they are stored somewhere.
It is true (AFAIK).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:43 PM

Moncton's stadium is too small in its current format for the CFL, but it appears to be capable of handling the CPL. Has there been any discussion of landing a franchise in that league? Or for that matter, is there any chance that U de M might get into football? It's a bit of a shame that the best stadium in Atlantic Canada doesn't have any permanent teams other than the university soccer teams, I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is some interest amongst the NB soccer community regarding the CPL, but I don't know what sort of corporate support there is out there regarding this.

Sadly, UdeM seems to be allergic to the idea of CIS football.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 4:56 PM

Wait, they don't have a football team? Why did they build the field so narrow if it was only ever intended for soccer? A quick google says you can still meet official track requirements while fitting a full size soccer field.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 5:31 PM

Hard to say why they didn't/don't have a football program. With the popularity in Quebec and local high school football, pretty sure they could have fielded a team as easily as any other Maritime university. Could have been expense and no tradition of it. Not sure about the post about soccer only?, they can play football there. I guess there is some confusion over capacity vs field size. The field size is fine and the capacity can be expanded from 10-20k.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 5:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Wait, they don't have a football team? Why did they build the field so narrow if it was only ever intended for soccer? A quick google says you can still meet official track requirements while fitting a full size soccer field.
It is a track and field stadium. It was built for the 2010 World Junior Track and Field Championships and has a top of the drawer Mondo running surface on the track. The end bleachers you see on that image I provided above are temporary, and partly built on the track surface.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada