HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 1:38 AM

Old Montreal in a nutshell

These are pictures I took in april 2011 of the old part of the city aptly named Old Montreal. There is alot of variety in this district. I only scraped the surface of what used to be the old colonial city of which few monuments survive although there are a number of early to mid 18th century dwellings of note especially east of St-Laurent boulevard (The Main). As the city grew, the district became the financial center near St James or St Jacques street depending on your cultural affiliation and as the 20th century progressed, banks and insurance companies moved their HQ's to more spacious office towers.

In the early sixties there was a plan to demolish a massive part of this area to accomodate the building of the Ville-Marie and Bonaventure expressways but thankfully this didnt happen. Mind you, both expressways will see partial or total part of their infrastructures demolished in turn because they are in dismal condition nearly 50 years later. The salt and ice have caused major problems to the steel reinforcement, eroding the concrete elevated freeways in this city of weather extremes.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 3:17 AM

Old Montreal is always a sexy treat. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 6:20 PM
Community Guy

Stay - La petit Hotel

Eat - Garde Manger

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 6:37 PM
Editor

Nice pics of a nice area. I should get off my butt and post some of my pics from Old Montreal!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 7:49 PM

Old Montreal is beautiful. I am so glad it was preserved.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 9:09 AM

Old Montreal looks like parts of central Liverpool thanks for sharing them with us.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:51 PM

Well still, there's undeniably an old touch which I feel familiar with too. This for instance:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste
Except for the arrêt sign (which is beyond French) and the old highrise in the background that we sometimes see but I don't know its name. Some townhouses in there have a provincial French flair. Maybe some others look more British/Victorian or something. And the North American feeling remains striking though.
Sweet area. Of course it must be preserved.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fern View Post
Old Montreal looks like parts of central Liverpool thanks for sharing them with us.
Quote:
Mousquet/Except for the arrêt sign (which is beyond French) and the old highrise in the background that we sometimes see but I don't know its name. Some townhouses in there have a provincial French flair. Maybe some others look more British/Victorian or something. And the North American feeling remains striking though.
Sweet area. Of course it must be preserved.
From the seventeenth to the end of the 18th century and beyond, french architectural vocabulary was pretty strong in Quebec architecture. From the conquest in 1759 and through the early nineteenth century, anglo, irish and scottish architects brought new styles and mixed some french elements like mansard roofs. Some Old Montreal and also fine houses in the Golden Square Mile were built from stones cut and imported from Scotland. There is a strong visual relation between Montreal and big northern english and scottish cities because of the grey stonework. The old stone house in the french style was the Marquis de Lotbinière's home. For along time, it has been the HQ of a shipping agent company; the Robert Reford Company. The area is a hodge podge of many styles of building. The old skyscraper dates back to 1928, and was the HQ of the Royal Bank of Canada. There was a hijacking of a Brinks truck in an alley next to the building in 1976 by Montreal's infamous Irish West End Gang. It is well known they did it, but no one was ever found guilty.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:52 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

So beautiful!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:14 PM

Doesn't get much better than a thread about Old Montreal!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 6:06 PM
video et taceo

unique in the country.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos