HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:54 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

That has to be the most unique Canadian Tire I've seen.

The town doesn't even look Canadian, but maybe that's just because I don't see anything like it Western Canada.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
Would you care to elaborate on how Brantfords architecture is great. The heart and soul of it has been ripped out of it downtown, people wistfully speak of the BSAR (a bypass on the south side of Brantford) and most of the commercial heart is on Wayne Gretzky or King George Road....
Have a look a my Brantford thread, the buildings are still there, just empty.

EDIT: here's the Brantford link again http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123197

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 3:16 AM
Crisp and Squishy

Wild! Great shots.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:38 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
The town doesn't even look Canadian, but maybe that's just because I don't see anything like it Western Canada.
I'd say maybe you're wrong on the first count, and right on the second.

Canada may be homogenous in many aspects, but not when it comes to regional architecture. There's nothing particularly unique about Paris in this part of southern Ontario, it's just that the whole adds up to a larger portion of charm than most other towns.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:48 AM

^ I'd say definitely wrong on the first count. Very much a Southern Ontario town, which is still in Canada. Topography helps it form a distinct identity, however.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 5:08 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I figured I might be wrong on the first count, which is why I wrote the second. I've never been to Southern Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 5:20 PM
菠蘿油

Very cool. I'm a bit surprised because it's not what I would have expected from Ontario, though now that I think of it, it does look similar to Hamilton and Dundas, so I guess it's part of the same micro-region.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 7:44 PM

Love it!!!!

A Canadien town named Paris, but all signs in English. The Quebecois must hate it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 1:48 AM

Paris is at the confluence of different styles. The style of house above, and the yellow brick are found all over the central part of Southern Ontario, often as isolated farmhouses. You can see the yellow brick in London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Woodstock and many small towns. Glencoe (west of London), for example, is almost entirely yellow brick. Hamilton has orange brick and doesn't really have houses like the one above, but many of Paris' downtown buildings and mid 19th C houses (like below) are similar to ones in the Hamilton area. Paris also has a little bit of stone similar to Galt, its neighbour upstream. The cobblestone is unique to Paris.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 1:52 AM

Excellent thread of an interesting place...

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:26 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Love it!!!!

A Canadien town named Paris, but all signs in English. The Quebecois must hate it.
I believe it's named after plaster of Paris, which is produced in the area, not after the city of Paris (although I'm sure it was at the back of their minds that there was already a place by that name).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 6:26 PM

That's awesome!

It's true that the regional architectural styles vary across the country. Having lived in western Canada (BC) and having visited Alberta, I was accustomed to seeing 20th century wood-frame houses in neighbourhoods. When I first went to Ontario (Ottawa), I was amazed at all the Victorian brick architecture. Montreal, of course, has its own aesthetic which is dramatically different from the west... and as you drive along the back roads to Quebec City, you pass by all these old Quebecois farm houses using the more traditional architecture and you know you're not in Kansas anymore!

I think that's a major phenomenon among Canadians, however. So many assume what's in their back yard is universal across the country...

... but when you start exploring other regions in the country, you begin to see Canada as the diverse country it is, and that there is no real "Canadian" aesthetic when it comes to architecture... but we have a collection of regional styles.

And on another note... I honestly thought that when I was going to open this thread, it would be about Montreal!!!

I thought, "Oh man... not ANOTHER person who's trying to sell Montreal as "a slice of Paris in Canada" *gag*...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynobotica View Post
And on another note... I honestly thought that when I was going to open this thread, it would be about Montreal!!!

You're probably not the only one who wondered what was in this thread!

Provocative title and pretty town aside, I didn't think this thread would get so many comments.
Thanks all

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 1:00 PM

What?! a Paris in English , how dare you... /vote yes .

Nice town .

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 10:16 PM

Whoa, that is a name to live up to. Looks like a quite charming place.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
Homo Platoregimontis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Love it!!!!

It's the most ridiculous comment I read here. I'm a Quebécois and it never crossed my mine the whole time I was going through it. Never mind !!

I love the town but strangely enough, it didn't remind me of Ontario : this Paris has more in common with Plattsburgh, New-York. Especially the downtown area.
Of course, the only little ontarian towns I know are in the eastern part od the province : Gananoque and Kingston and they are not near ressembling Paris.
Think of it : the only city in Canada that can rightfully name a coffee shop Café de Paris !!

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 1:02 AM

Wow that's sweet. I really like the first picture of London and Paris.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus1 View Post
awesome town. great shots.

how cool would it be to live next to and have a porch over that river?!
I agree with your statement, these are really nice photos and the town in itself is so quaint and as that homely feel to it, I hope one day to visit Paris, Canada

thanks you to the original poster for a nice little ride into into your world

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarabundi View Post
It's the most ridiculous comment I read here. I'm a Quebécois and it never crossed my mine the whole time I was going through it. Never mind !!

I love the town but strangely enough, it didn't remind me of Ontario : this Paris has more in common with Plattsburgh, New-York. Especially the downtown area.
Of course, the only little ontarian towns I know are in the eastern part od the province : Gananoque and Kingston and they are not near ressembling Paris.
Think of it : the only city in Canada that can rightfully name a coffee shop Café de Paris !!

sorry but there is also another one in Vancouver called Cafe de paris, it is located by English bay, west end, BC

http://www.letsgofordinner.com/mainb...tail=26&code=1

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

That Canadian Tire is weird, you step in and it feels like a time-warp. Maybe I'm just too use to big boxes. I wish I had floodmapping for the Grand, I'm willing to bet most of Paris is within a floodplain.

Great photos, thanks for sharing Flar.

Flickr®

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos