HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
I find it disturbing how deceptive your photos and your words are. In many cases, the back of the buildings are shown to show the parking lots instead of the front of buildings. You take photos of signage for pedestrians on mall property or at the highway interchange and pass them off as typical pedestrian crossing signage in MCC. There is so much focus on the cars here, and none on the transit. And worst of all, some of these pics are not of MCC.

And I'd like you to name one minor street in MCC that six lanes wide.

BTW, One Park Tower is garbage.
I gave Mississauga the same treatment I give any city I visit. I drive to the place, park my car and get out and walk around for a few hours, taking pictures of anything of interest. This is what I came up with for Mississauga. The fact that there are only 40-some pics speaks volumes. For most cities, I have to cut many good pictures because there are too many. The pedestrian signage is all stuff I encountered while walking around and reflects my experience as a pedestrian here. I spent many, many minutes waiting for cars. Minor six-lane roads with little traffic that I recall: Robert Speck Pkwy, Rathburn Rd, Duke of York Blvd. Normally I also chat with many locals while taking pictures, I hardly saw anyone. One person spoke to me, letting me know that I was good to cross Hurontario. Then he joked how you had to be quick or you'd miss your chance. Most of the sidewalks were covered with ice and snow, suggesting they aren't used much. I have nothing against Mississauga, this is just my experience as a visitor. If I photographed the back of buildings it's because that's what I was presented with as a pedestrian. And all of these are MCC or very nearby because I parked once at Square One and walked around. Perhaps I should have walked into the mall to properly experience Mississauga? Perhaps you could show us the "real" Mississauga?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Minor six-lane roads with little traffic that I recall: Robert Speck Pkwy, Rathburn Rd, Duke of York Blvd.
Duke of York is 4 lanes for the most part, with a left hand turn lane (so 5 lanes) at certain intersections.
Robert Speck Pkwy is the same as Duke of York except for the 100m section between Hurontario and City Centre Drive where it is 6 lanes. But it should be noted that @ City Centre and RBS, there's a "pedestrian only" crossing time included in the signal cycle.
Rathburn isn't a minor collector in the City Centre area. It'd be like calling Dundas in downtown Toronto a minor collector. It's the main way for entering the northern area of MCC from the E/W.

The rest of your comment isn't even worth responding to considering most of what you visited wasn't MCC (20%+), and you missed huge swaths of MCC land (Kariya Park for instance). Also interesting you'd leave out things like Confederation Parkway, the bike lanes, on street parking, ground floor retail in buildings etc. It's an unfortunately extremely poor tour of MCC and the surroundings.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 12:02 PM

Has there been any attempt by the city to build a pedestrian friendly commercial street? From the looks of these pictures I'm guessing not. It looks as though the skyscrapers that have been built have been randomly placed as well.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 2:40 PM

Nice Tour Flar!

I made a field trip to MCC the other week and saw the same thing. One Park Place, City Hall and now the Marilyn towers add some drama to an otherwise drive through field with boxes and signs.

To be fair, Sauga is huge and this is just one of many areas of an amalgamated region The closer to the lake the more dense and older it gets.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 2:55 PM

I've never seen pics of Mississauga before. Kind of has a communist eastern Europe/Russsia look about it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 3:14 PM
Senior Bezerkeleyite

You guys are crazy. This is the among the ugliest buildings I have ever seen in North America.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 6:13 PM
Red Hook Aficionado

^ Doady -- c'mon man tell us how you really feel.

flar -- you've captured Mississauga pretty accurately from what i remember. I was there a couple years ago for a wedding.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 6:25 PM

That "Pedestrians Must Yield To Vehicles" sign is unbelievable.

An interesting and certainly disturbing place.

He has a Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40336730@N08/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeicow View Post
It's an unfortunately extremely poor tour of MCC and the surroundings.
You are welcome to post a better tour of MCC in this thread.

@cbautz: One Park Tower is derivative and out of place and would be weak in Chicago compared to the real gothic skyscrapers there, but in Canada it's much better than the plain concrete rectangular boxes that dominate.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 9:13 PM
Senior Bezerkeleyite

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
You are welcome to post a better tour of MCC in this thread.

@cbautz: One Park Tower is derivative and out of place and would be weak in Chicago compared to the real gothic skyscrapers there, but in Canada it's much better than the plain concrete rectangular boxes that dominate.
I'll take concrete boxes over this thing. We have a million of these hideous things in Chicago and they all suck.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 9:19 PM

I understand you try to give Mississauga a fair tour, but the matter of fact is that it is not. I am a much worse photographer than you, but I never got any reactions like "dystopia" and "disturbing" when I posted my photo threads. I just think some of the photos are misleading that's all. I think the fact the photos are taken on grey overcast winter day doesn't help either.

MCC does deserve a lot of criticism but it bothers me that so many people criticize it for the wrong reasons or exaggerate certain aspects of it. I live in Mississauga without a car and always take the bus, but I think my everyday experiences as a pedestrian in Mississauga is not accurately reflected these photos or the reactions from posters in this thread. Maybe that's my fault somehow, I don't know.

BTW, as much as I despise One Park Tower, even I can't say it one of the worst in North America. I can think of a few off-hand that are much worse just in the Toronto area alone. In fact, most of the condos in Mississauga aren't really different overall to you find in Toronto or other cities. You'd be crazy to say that Citygate and Solstice (the two green and one blue building complex on the left of the first photo) are ugly buildings just because they located in Mississauga.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 9:53 PM

One Park Tower is a horrid mess...

Interesting photos of a place undergoing re-transformation. Most of the Toronto 'hip' snobs look at Mississauga with derisive why-would-anyone-want-to-live-there commentary. I'm much more optimistic than that: the centre is a massive work in progress, and it is much to early to declare it as a success or failure. It's nonsensical to conclude that downtowns cannot be built from 'scratch.' Of course they can be, but it's going to take more than a few years to make it happen. Part of the problem is always going to be that the would-be downtown is anchored by a giant mall. However, malls CAN be opened out to streets with some success and good design.

As it is right now, Mississauga already does have a few pockets of activity, closer to the lake. It's no Toronto, but it's a start.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 10:14 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbautz View Post
You guys are crazy. This is the among the ugliest buildings I have ever seen in North America.

Please, man! Among the ugliest?
It has height; It has a nice little peaked roof; Plenty of balconies... If it were amongst a skyline, it would look great. Maybe you don't like it cause it's out in the open?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 11:02 PM
Senior Bezerkeleyite

To me it has too many things going on to convey a clear, coherant idea or concept. It looks totally forced. It's four buildings scrunched into one with an extruded house on top. Its trying to be historical in some of the elements, but gets confused with the vertical deco lines conflicting with the horizontality of the balconies (everybody has to have baconies these days). Plus, I'm not sure what historical period it is drawing from. Its cladded with crappy materials in god aweful earthtones with the cheesy details (plywood arches, fake lintels, etc). What is the peaked turret-like thing at the lower forground? It looks like an oil funnel turned upsidedown. I don't even want to know what the little details that are poking out of the corners on the tower. It may be some sort of a crappy architectural dialogue with Chrysler.

To sum--
It is one confused piece of crap. Its the Chrysler building with balconies and an extruded house on top instead of a crown. At its base it has an oil funnel with a facade of fake lintels and plywood arches.

It looks like Home Depot designed it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 11:27 PM

^^Agreed, these are all valid criticisms. My expectations are just very low for contemporary Canadian architecture (and not because this is Mississauga, Mississauga actually has some of the most interesting recent, under construction and proposed skyscrapers in Canada).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 11:58 PM

Thx for the photos Flar.

Some of those developments remind me of Chinese cities with row after row of similar apartment towers.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 1:05 AM
BANNED

The OP fails to mention (or show, really) that almost all the newer towers are built up to the property line and have businesses/townhomes lining the bottom. In 10-15 years it will be drastically improved. The crappy stuff is all from the 90s or earlier. The public transit in the area is also far better than many "cities", especially along Hurontario Street.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 1:31 AM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbautz View Post
Well then, prepare to have a heart attack. The following is a rendering for a student housing building in Waterloo, Ontario.

My apologies for hurting everybody's eyes.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:08 AM
It's Daniel

Great shots. Never seen any other city in the GTA on a forum before. I want to move to Canada when I graduate from College so this is nice to see. Canada and the Toronto area look very nice. Are you planning on posting pics of other cities in the GTA?

Daniel_T

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:55 AM
Meh

Not bad. There's some stylin' highrises there. That one tower had me thinking Mississauga is a Montreal look alike.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos