HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The technical proposal states "using a smaller vehicle size, which allows us to reduce the internal tunnel diameter to less than 40 feet." But in addition to systems that use Bombardier's Innovia stock (JFK Airport, Vancouver Skytrain, Kuala Lumpur), they also mention projects in Singapore, Sydney, and Montreal. Singapore's rolling stock for its automated lines is even wider than our Bredas, while Sydney and Montreal's are 1/2-inch narrower.

Budgeting for a 15-foot side platform and 3-foot emergency walkway, it would seem to me that 10-foot-wide trains — or at least 9-9.5-foot width — are feasible. Bombardier's Innovia rolling stock seems to be very customizable, with Beijing's Capital Airport Express trains being 10.5 feet wide.
Hey Quixote, sent you a PM!

Bombardier's Innovia line is so versatile. It would behoove us in LA County to advocate Inglewood's Mayor James T Butts and LA Mayor/Metro Chair Garcetti consider using the Bechtel proposal's versatile Innovia rolling rolling stock for both the Inglewood People Mover and the Sepulveda pass as it plays both people mover at major airports; including JFK as well as major/well respected metro lines like Vancouvers's skytrain.

It could lead to a one seat ride from the Valley to Inglewood's sports and entertainment area and continue on the unfunded Harbor subdivision to DTLA

My friend @StanfordCaldera created this beautiful map

And I created this ugly map of a dream I have...

I dream about this line being quad tracked at least around certain stations that could allow express service from LAX to downtown that could charge a premium $$ to help fund the construction of this and other lines In my dream it’s almost completely Elevated because only in LA do you get this when riding an elevated train or waiting on the elevated platform for your next train ...

ONLY AVAILABLE ELEVATED IN L.A.

#ElevatedInLA #RideElevatedLA

Last edited by hughfb3; Jun 27, 2022 at 7:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 6:05 AM

Also... who else is obsessed with the classically designed station canopies and lighting fixtures of the Gold line foothill stations??? SIMPLE, CLEAN, TIMELESS ELEGANCE

I feel like I'm taken back in time to the 1940's Southern California where the Pacific Electric railway and the Los Angeles Railway was the world's largest... Or like I'm riding an attraction at Disney World that's based off of a cartoon that was in the 1940's.. It's so... Train like!!! My dream is to reconstruct much of those systems AND have a comprehensive elevated/subterranean rapid transit system where appropriate. Keep Light Rail on the ground and have these cute stations sprinkled throughout gorgeous tree-lined and/or mountain viewed stations across the basin...

Who wouldn't want to wait a few minutes at stations that look like this in L.A.??

The first phase from LA to Pasadena has green canopies and the second phase to Asuza has reddish canopies... Anyone know what color phase 3's palatte will use???

With the regional connector soon to be completed; we can develop brand new grade separated elevated/subway rapid lines designed for speed and high capacity for longer distance cross-county trips, while beefing up the slower more pedestrian-focused central city light rail/streetcar systems to create a true car free/car light environment unique to LA's history, beautiful topography and weather.

I took these two pictures on Opening Day March 5, 2016...

Look at the view of those mountains from the station platform... what an EPIC treat!

...and you best believe I will be at opening day for the extension to Pomona... and Montclair... and the regional connector... and... whew, our list is getting quite long... Ive been at every rail grand opening in LA since the Gold Line East Side opened in 2009

Last edited by hughfb3; Jun 27, 2022 at 7:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineDrive View Post
This is great news but it’s still woefully short of what the Sepulveda line should be. This line is a lynch pin for Los Angeles transit. It’ll be the difference maker between whether or not LA becomes a major mass transit region or if it’s a mode of transit reserved for novelists and the low incomes.

Of all the lines this is the one that no expanse can be spared and no luxury past over. Of course knowing Metro they’ll botch it but ideally… first and foremost the whole line should be Subway. It should travel maybe even a few miles NORTH of Van Nuys MetroLink. There should be at least 3 stations in the valley. Transitions to LRT ready Orange, Expo, Crenshaw, Purple and the boondoggle ESFV line need fo be SEAMLESS (under 1-2 mins, inside the fare gates etc). And this line should terminate in a subway station directly between SoFi and Intuit - if done right - that station could literally add 300k riders a year minimum.
I get not building the whole thing at once, but I just hope Bechtel doesn’t build it in a way that precludes any future extension north. I have a feeling once a lot of people see this thing up and running only then will they be okay with upzoning Van Nuys Blvd.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
With each car being approximately 72 feet long, they might as well plan on procuring 75-foot cars to match the length of the Bredas and forthcoming HR4000s. Bombardier Innovias also tend to have a less boxy silhouette, with the curvilinear rooflines offering more clearance within the tunnel.

It's great that some prudence is being shown in planning this project (being mindful of phase 2), but I just hope that they haven't forgotten that this line, although it will be a stand-alone, will still exist as part of a broader network.
Any word on when the HR4000s will be arriving?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation