HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 3:52 AM

Dundas | my neighbourhood

HAMILTON NEIGHBOURHOODS:
CorktownDurandCentralDundasLocke St. SouthBurlingtonStinsonWestdaleSt. ClairKeithLandsdale
The DeltaGibsonJamesvilleConcession StreetDurand NorthDurand SouthOld Dundas HousesHess VillageBarton Street
AncasterNorth KirkendallSouth KirkendallMcMaster UniversityDowntownThe BayfrontThe North EndKenilworth
Mountain BrowTextile DistrictStrathconaNorth StipleyFlamboroughBeasleyChedokeStoney CreekThe Beach Strip

HAMILTON FEATURES:
C I T Y _ L I G H T SStone HamiltonTwilight of the Industrial AgeTwilight of the Industrial Age II
Stone in Dundas and AncasterGoodbye, Hamilton (from 43 floors up)Dirty BrickDay for Night
This broken down old city still manages to wake up every morning...Everywhere, Ontario< R - E - T - R - O >
HAMILTON | Scenes from the cutting room floorS U B U R B I A !Everywhere, OntarioHamilton Rowhouses
< H E A V Y <> I N D U S T R Y > Old Man Winter vs. Hamilton

Georgian and Victorian homes of Dundas

I travel all over studying neighbourhoods, but one of Ontario's most diverse collections of old houses is right in my backyard. We had some decent weather over the last week or two so I took my camera along for some walks.

Dundas is now a bedroom community of Hamilton but was actually settled before Hamilton, in the 1790s. Its location in a valley surrounded by the Niagara Escarpment meant there was plenty of water to power mills. Dundas became prominent as a major shipping port for points west in Ontario with the opening of the Desjardins Canal to Lake Ontario. Hamilton later overtook Dundas in importance with the opening of Hamilton harbour, the Welland Canal, and the ascendance of railroads.

In this tour I focus on Dundas' Georgian and Victorian architecture. Much of the surviving Georgian architecture dates to approximately the 1840s (the oldest surviving building in Dundas was built in 1804). Some of the Georgian houses look rather plain, but are included because they are much older than what you typically find in Ontario.

In a future tour, I'll focus on the more urban aspects of Dundas.

There is no order to these pictures...look closely because there are quite a few gems in Dundas.

Last edited by flar; May 16, 2009 at 12:52 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos