HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 5:08 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
If it moves anything like the post office site nothing lol
Do you think such snarky comments contribute to this discussion forum? Do you pay close attention to how such large projects get.out of the ground? Do you consider the market for office, housing, or retail?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
If it moves anything like the post office site nothing lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Do you think such snarky comments contribute to this discussion forum? Do you pay close attention to how such large projects get.out of the ground? Do you consider the market for office, housing, or retail?
No, posts like this do not contribute to the discussion in any way. The poster has previously been warned about this.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 10:05 PM
not qualified to comment

Oregon museum taps Indigenous community for riverfront project
From Indian Country Today, August 10, 2021. Article by Brian Oaster

https://indiancountrytoday.com/news/...NkohWorGD_NU18

From Article: "The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry has tapped local tribes and the Indigenous community to help plan a new tribal center and waterfront educational park on its campus along the Willamette River in Portland, Oregon. Officials hope to have approval of the project in early 2022"

This sounds like a great and much needed component of this project. Also from the article: "The planned Waterfront Education Park will be an outdoor museum and science exhibit bordering the Willamette River, with a connection from the current greenway and bike path to a restored stretch of riverbank..." I'm happy with how thoughtful this process has been, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 6:13 AM
A before E

I really hope we see some major growth to OMSI in the coming years, especially with child development since Portland has lost its Children's Museum.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I really hope we see some major growth to OMSI in the coming years, especially with child development since Portland has lost its Children's Museum.
This! OMSI is great but it's not quite on the same level as the Pacific Science Center in Seattle or the Exploratorium in San Francisco.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:59 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
This! OMSI is great but it's not quite on the same level as the Pacific Science Center in Seattle or the Exploratorium in San Francisco.
This is sadly so very true, OMSI needs to really step up their game to be a legit science center like those two. They have the land to do this, it would be great to see their masterplan include a massive expansion of OMSI along with making a little urban district on their side of the river.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 4:26 AM

Notice of a Pre Application Conference http://www.portlandoregon.gov/index....47126&a=785721

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Notice of a Pre Application Conference http://www.portlandoregon.gov/index....47126&a=785721
I hope there is still a chance they expand the actual science center, although this mostly calls for development of residental space.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 12:12 AM
BANNED

https://www.kptv.com/news/omsi-unvei...3f0614b4b.html

Great idea and vision but as we see with the post office development it’ll take decades just to breakground as always in Portland lol

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:38 AM
A before E

Quote:
https://www.kptv.com/news/omsi-unvei...3f0614b4b.html

Great idea and vision but as we see with the post office development it’ll take decades just to breakground as always in Portland lol
These massive projects have to pencil out and turn a profit, no developer is going to build a huge development just to make it happen if it means they will lose money. Plus a lot of these projects takes a lot of planning and pre -construction work before they can even break ground. If the market is right for them, they will happen, but if the timing is wrong then they won't.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
These massive projects have to pencil out and turn a profit, no developer is going to build a huge development just to make it happen if it means they will lose money. Plus a lot of these projects takes a lot of planning and pre -construction work before they can even break ground. If the market is right for them, they will happen, but if the timing is wrong then they won't.
I agree just making a point Portland really hasn’t had a big project of this magnitude since SoWa.. it’s been awhile. Oregon square was close but you seen what happened with that.

My prediction is this Omsi project will be talked about for decades to come while nothing happens

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 7:55 AM
A before E

Quote:
I agree just making a point Portland really hasn’t had a big project of this magnitude since SoWa.. it’s been awhile. Oregon square was close but you seen what happened with that.

My prediction is this Omsi project will be talked about for decades to come while nothing happens
Maybe, or there might be a point where some big projects all happen at the same time. You have to remember, the Pearl and South Waterfront didn't exist at one point. The whole East Burn area basically sprang up in a short period of time. When things are right for these locations, it will probably feel like it is happening fast.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Oregon Museum of Science and Industry Releases Renderings of Long-Awaited OMSI District
The plans include 1,200 new housing units, a waterfront education park focusing on Indigenous heritage, mixed-use commercial and residential buildings, and new storefronts.

The OMSI District on the east bank of the Willamette River is now over a decade old, and still mostly theoretical.

On Wednesday, the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry shared updated renderings of its plans, showcasing swanky glass apartment buildings, lively storefronts and communal green spaces covering 10 blocks of the inner eastside.

The project launched in 2008 and has received money from the city, Metro and the state to create a neighborhood district with a focus on climate and science.

The plans include: 1,200 housing units, a waterfront education park focusing on Indigenous heritage, mixed-use commercial and residential buildings, and new storefronts.
...continues at Willamette Week.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
...continues at Willamette Week.
Wow, an impact this will have on the east side if this breaks ground. I love all of the recent added density to the east side of the river.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe, or there might be a point where some big projects all happen at the same time. You have to remember, the Pearl and South Waterfront didn't exist at one point. The whole East Burn area basically sprang up in a short period of time. When things are right for these locations, it will probably feel like it is happening fast.
This is the scenario I'm really hoping for. Imagine the Riverplace redevelopment nearing completion, the pepsi-blocks having wrapped up, OMSI is breaking ground with the broadway corridor right behind it. Meanwhile centennial mills redevelopment is under construction and we're seeing activity for redeveloping Lloyd Center.

Obviously a dream scenario and my timeline is horrendously imperfect... but the point is that there are a lot of huge projects in the works, and it's only a matter of time before at least some of them start to pan out. The list goes on, with projects like the ODOT blocks...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 11:37 PM

The Con-way master plan isn't even fully built out, and yet my partner can barely believe it when I show him Google Streetview images of what the area looked like in 2014 before any of the construction started.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
The Con-way master plan isn't even fully built out, and yet my partner can barely believe it when I show him Google Streetview images of what the area looked like in 2014 before any of the construction started.
Great point, the fact that I accidentally left such a huge project off my list further proves the point.

Con-way still has 6 plots to develop, one being a park.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 10:32 PM

Paywall
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...-portland.html

Quote:

OMSI seeks city approval for high-rise development in SE Portland
Updated: Dec. 15, 2021, 2:22 p.m. | Published: Dec. 15, 2021, 1:01 p.m.
By Jayati Ramakrishnan | The Oregonian/OregonLive

The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry is one step closer in its plan to transform its southeast waterfront neighborhood.

Museum leaders submitted a proposal for an “OMSI District” to the city on Wednesday. They hope the swath of riverfront land — much of it now vacant — will become an economic driver, featuring high-rise apartment buildings, science centers, and green space, including a waterfront educational park that highlights the history of the area’s tribal communities.

The nonprofit museum has been planning a district space since 2008, and has been consulting with city officials, Metro and tribal governments about what the area should look like. In 2018, it began working with a developer and an architecture firm to formalize its plans.

The proposed district would cover 10 city blocks and include up to 3 million square feet of new mixed-use buildings. It would also add up to 1,200 new housing units, including at least 20% of those dedicated to affordable housing.
...(continues)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 8:30 AM
A before E

What bothers me about this whole project is there isn't any talk about expanding OMSI. I am all for them developing an urban district around the museum, but the Children's Museum went under because of the pandemic. It would be great to have OMSI use this development to expand the science museum since there is so much within science that the museum could cover, plus adding a children's museum.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 1:32 AM

Quote:
The vision, the plan, the cost – OMSI District master plan

More than 7,000 construction jobs will be created by the 3 million-square-foot mixed-use development proposed by the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.

The master plan, designed by ZGF Architects, was formally submitted to the city of Portland for approval in December after roughly 14 years of planning. The site will span over 10 city blocks from Clay Street to Caruthers Street in the city’s lower east side.

The new neighborhood expects to produce more than $11 million in annual property tax revenue at full buildout and generate $22 million in annual income tax revenue, based on a report by EcoNorthwest.

Edlen & Co. is advising as the developer for the site.
...continues at the DJC ($)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland