HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 1:32 AM

In a sign of these divisive times, the planned replacement of the Winston Tower with Truliant has not only sparked outage, but also an organized campaign against the plans.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 7:30 PM

Question

It seems that there’s a sizable number of people losing their ever loving mind over this Truliant signage It has to one of the oddest & dumbest “controversies” I’ve heard of in a long time. First off, it’s not like the Winston Tower signage is vintage or iconic, it’s only been up maybe upwards of 20 years. Secondly, the owners of the building have every right to monetize their naming rights to their building considering IT’S THEIR PERSONAL PROPERTY!

Matthew, is Winstonsalemphotographer one of your sources for pix? Just curious.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 10:57 PM
Fourth and Main

That photographer has two or three accounts and I've shared from one or two of them, but I don't know if I've shared from that account? Not many art photographers will photograph construction. He is an art photographer and a really good one. It's sad to hear he feels this way. He will find other noteworthy cities have had their prominent skyscrapers' crowns and parapets covered with over-sized and often bright corporate signage. Will he stop photographing those cities as well?

I've met people who don't like (passionately hate!) the font "Winston Tower" uses and they are excited to see it go. I've seen some people on social media who think ITG/Imperial Brands is headquartered there, due to that sign. I'm excited to see the investment in downtown and a presence in this tower by a large financial company headquartered in this city. They had no downtown presence at all before this deal. It could also show the value of having your company's name elevated above the trees and in a highly visible location that maybe 150,000 to 200,000 people see from their cars, as they travel along downtown's two highways. The building will become Truliant Tower, with people using the company name for that sizable landmark, to tell someone the name of the building, give directions, or tell others where their company is located. Maybe it could lead to another sizable downtown investment and/or lease in the future by Truliant or another company headquartered in this city? They (Truliant) are experiencing rapid growth right now. It's also great to show-off the companies that are headquartered here or have significant operations here, to people on the highways or visiting. I would also like to add this isn't just a sign project. This project (at least as-of April 2022) included exterior lighting upgrades and improvements other than just a sign change. It should dramatically improve the night time appearance of the building. When they upgrade the lighting on the former Observation Deck, I wish they would reopen it. Even if it's by making reservations, I would like to see it reopened.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 11:49 AM

I concur. It’s great to see the name of a major financial institution on a downtown tower again. I’m praying Truliant will one day build a new tower downtown.,

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 2:39 AM

Thanks for the post. I am excited to see the Mill 800 apartments. You don't see very many two-story apartments in downtown. Could be really cool spaces.

I also had not heard about the Salem Creek observation deck project.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:13 PM

yadkin here (yadkinv on W-S Forum). Wow, I’m pleased I found everyone. I was out of the country for the entire month of May with practically no internet access and when I returned no W-S Forum - what an empty feeling I experienced. What happened - is it really gone forever?

Lots of stuff here, which will take a while to get through.

Matthew, please don’t transfer everything to Facebook - I don’t do Facebook.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:15 PM

Welcome, Yadkin!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 9:04 PM

Welcome YadkinV , glad to hear from you! Still missing the Possum along with a few others….Read back through these comments regarding the status of WSTB, it seems that it may be lost for good☹️

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 3:46 PM

Again, apologies for late postings, but I was out of the country for the entire month of May with almost no internet access. I too am truly disheartened over the demise of the WSTB Forum, and I do hope it returns. I reiterate, please no Facebook.

“Once "Matthew" was banned from UP, he made the transition over to this forum and SSC. Soon after, he started the WSTB forum using the same tactics. "Fourth and Main", "yadkinv", "27101", "zinzendorf" and a slew of other usernames were all one person: "Matthew."

Well, this is beyond outrageous. I can state emphatically that I am yadkin here and yadkinv on WSTB Forum. I am not Matthew (Fourth & Main). This statement is irresponsible even libelous and obviously not researched and just plain false at least in my regard (yadkinv). Shame, shame!

Thank, thank you Matthew for all you have done and all you do. I’m actually convinced you have had real influences on many successes in W-S (probably my perspective only but who knows).

I don’t think the rooftop thing at Kaladium is attractive, but as long as the kids have fun, and presume the safety factor has been well-researched.

The Truliant sign debate is ridiculous and no debate at all. Winston Tower and all such names for buildings are stopgaps because there’s no one else to claim the building and never intended to be more than temporary. Thank you Truliant for making this iconic building legitimate again!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 10:37 PM
Fourth and Main

Sorry for taking so long to return. I was extremely busy the past few days. If you don't see me, just give me some time both here and at facebook. I'm likely too busy, got distracted before I could approve friends or post here, or something happened to pull me away.

He also said something like WSTB had everything deleted every two years and returned as a new version. All of us can agree that forum didn't change for (guessing) around 12 years and we could look-up topics going back (guessing) 12 years. Even the banned troll posts were moved to a members-only section and could be read by all posting members. I can't think of another forum that does that. I think the original forum went down (guessing) 12 years ago, because it was so outdated? There were only two versions of it.

I still find myself going to that bookmark (WSTB). Sometimes, when bored, I'll think "WSTB" and remember it's not there. I didn't realize it was an addiction until it was gone.

I'm surprised by the large amount of resistance to facebook. I fully planned to move everything there and didn't expect anyone to reply back. After that post, a good number of people tried to push the crowd toward this thread and those linking to the old forum linked here, not wanting to link to that facebook page, even when I asked.

We may never know the impact we've had on the people and places around us. However, we won't have any impact if we don't say anything or at least try.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 4:58 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Yes, this is the 13th hottest housing market in the United States! Are you thinking of moving to Winston-Salem?

Wow! This had to be amazing to see live. I was only a year old at that time.
Video Link

Still trying to figure out how to keep some of the classic update and have more frequent updates, but not have those massive monthly posts.

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Our first look at the colorful triangles:

Credit: kaleideum

8 W 3 Apartments & Retail:

Historic building on the left:

Credit: 3yrjSVyIMVM

Credit: Bryan Lewis

Chatham Building Apartments, Hotel, & Retail:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Union Cross Development:
The walls are tilted-up at Lot 4 in the Union Cross Industrial Center. This is a 144,000 square-foot building that can be customized for the tenant. Front Street Capital is the developer and Triad Design Group is the architect.

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Alpha Aluminum Building:
Virginia-based aluminum company, Manakin Industries, is the potential buyer for the vacant former Alpha Aluminum Building. This is very rare, since this company wants to return the building to its original use as an aluminum factory! Did you know: This industrial complex has been here since 1917! A variety of aluminum products were made here, from automotive to cookware to toolboxes and more.

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:

Vintage retail store "Still Grimey" in the Sixth Street retail spaces:

Credit: still.grimey

It's the downtown Arts District!

African-American History Museum:
Triad Cultural Arts has acquired three sites in the Happy Hill / Liberia Neighborhood to create a new African-American history museum. They will restore two shotgun houses, which are rare in Winston-Salem, through a fundraiser that ends in 2025 and through grants. Restoration work could begin next year and this project also includes a multi-use event center. All work should be completed by 2025. The houses are in rough shape and (combined) may require around half-a-million-dollars in restoration work. This site is interesting, since it's the site of the first emancipation of enslaved persons in 1836, the site of the Freedmen's School for Black Children in 1866, and the land was also deeded to former enslaved people to create the first owner-occupied Black community.

I love historic restorations like this, so I will try to follow this on forum, if we can.

EGGER North American Headquarters:
The recycling center is now completed and fully operational.

Credit: TBJ

Towne Lake Commons: Cancelled
The developer for this project is selling the site and may already have another developer in talks to buy it? It appears as if the new developer may also buy the project plans (to build the previous developer's proposal), but we shall see what the new developer's plans are. Even if they want to build the same project, a new developer could make a few changes. I would like to see the older buildings on the site preserved.

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:
"The roof is nearly all primed and covered with the grey base coat!" Three of ten concrete footings are now poured to "help give the house another 241 happy years."

Three of ten concrete footings poured to support the house:

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

The roof work:

As some of you may know, they had tools stolen from the site and the theft is not covered by their insurance (theft exclusion). Including the new homeowner's grandfather's tools. This will slow-down progress at the house. If you would like to help, the owner is selling cutting boards and serving trays. You can also look for a Speedheater infrared paint stripper for sale in the Winston-Salem area. I posted the photograph of the tool below. It was loaned to them from Salem Heritage. If you see it "it was stolen from the site" and should be reported.

If you live in Winston-Salem, please look for someone selling this tool and report it if you see it:

Winston-Salem Open Tennis Facility:
The Winston-Salem Open ATP Tennis Tournament will spend $600,000 on a massive LED lighting upgrade at their tennis complex. This work should be completed in August 2023. This was also one of ten ATP Tournaments selected for sponsorship by Austrian hydration company Waterdrop. The Winston-Salem Open will have several Waterdrop hydration benches at the tournament.

New Tenants/Leases:
Crimson Hollow Coffee House has leased the available space at 400 West Fourth Street. They are a Victorian-themed coffee house & bar. They will become North Carolina's first Victorian Cafe & Bar. Their logo has a very Hallowe'en look to it. This should be an interesting addition to downtown's Restaurant Row.

Novant Health Critical Care Center:

Credit: Carl Ward

The Flats at Peters Creek:
This project is now funded and ready to start. It should break ground in early-Fall 2023, with completion set for 2025.

Artreaux Apartments:

Credit: Artie Sparrow

Off-Subject:

Gears & Guitars Festival:
Soul Asylum, Dishwalla, Cracker, Nine Days, and several local bands will perform at this year's Gears & Guitars Cycling and Music Festival, on August 4-6, 2023 in downtown Winston-Salem. If you like bicycles and classic alternative, this is your event!

Winston-Salem Leads the State in Home Price Increases:
Winston-Salem's MSA had the highest home price growth rate in North Carolina for CoreLogic's most recent month of data. For most of the past year, Winston-Salem's home price increases were in double digits.

Home Price Increases (CoreLogic)
Winston-Salem MSA: 6.9% (Forsyth, Davidson, Davie, Stokes, & Yadkin counties)
Charlotte MSA: 4.7%
Durham MSA: 1.8%
Raleigh MSA: 1.3%

Winston-Salem Among Hottest Housing Markets:
Bankrate has ranked Winston-Salem among the nation's hottest housing markets. Winston-Salem ranked 13th on their list. They used one-year price appreciation, one-year job growth, population growth, active listings per 1,000 people, listings’ median days on the market, and unemployment rate. Raleigh ranked 26th and Durham ranked 46th. Greensboro ranked 51st and my hometown of Asheville was 70th. According to local realtors, most of the people moving to Winston-Salem are from California, Texas, and the northeast states. They find Winston-Salem's vibrant downtown, high quality-of-life, less sprawl, no traffic, low taxes, and arts community very attractive. Prices continue to rise, as developers struggle to keep up with demand.

Your City

Last edited by Matthew; Jun 11, 2023 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 5:23 PM

Thanks for another spectacular update, Matthew. Winston’s sizzling housing market is attracting national attention as much of the nation has a sluggish housing market.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 4:00 AM
Fourth and Main

Neuroscience Research Center:
I broke the news on this project in July 2022 at the old WSTB Forum, but haven't seen or heard anything about it since that time. So, I thought I would look into it. As you may remember, I was told this was a "potential tenant" for a second building in the Innovation Quarter's next phase. Nothing is official until we see an announcement, but this is exciting and there is action behind the scenes. We know it's moving forward because they started the process to find a director for the center in October (October 28, 2022). So, what is out there about this project that we haven't seen? It's described as a new Neuroscience Research Center that will promote world-class research, education, and community engagement. It will bring together different components of interdisciplinary neuroscience research, across multiple entities and areas. These include clinical (I.E., Neurology, Neurosurgery, Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Psychiatry), preclinical, basic science, community, and population health. This will also be an educational facility, with undergraduate, graduate, medical, and post-graduate degrees offered. They also want to be involved in partnerships with entrepreneurs and experts in public policy and philanthropy.

This seems like a project that could be equal to the Eye Institute in impact on downtown and downtown's IQ District?

This is the proposed downtown building the Neuroscience Research Center "could" be located in:

Credit: Innovation Quarter

I guess we shall see what happens, but this is very exciting and it's great to see it moving forward.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Neuroscience Research Center:
I broke the news on this project in July 2022 at the old WSTB Forum, but haven't seen or heard anything about it since that time. So, I thought I would look into it. As you may remember, I was told this was a "potential tenant" for a second building in the Innovation Quarter's next phase. Nothing is official until we see an announcement, but this is exciting and there is action behind the scenes. We know it's moving forward because they started the process to find a director for the center in October (October 28, 2022). So, what is out there about this project that we haven't seen? It's described as a new Neuroscience Research Center that will promote world-class research, education, and community engagement. It will bring together different components of interdisciplinary neuroscience research, across multiple entities and areas. These include clinical (I.E., Neurology, Neurosurgery, Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Psychiatry), preclinical, basic science, community, and population health. This will also be an educational facility, with undergraduate, graduate, medical, and post-graduate degrees offered. They also want to be involved in partnerships with entrepreneurs and experts in public policy and philanthropy.

This seems like a project that could be equal to the Eye Institute in impact on downtown and downtown's IQ District?

This is the proposed downtown building the Neuroscience Research Center "could" be located in:

Credit: Innovation Quarter

I guess we shall see what happens, but this is very exciting and it's great to see it moving forward.
On the Innovation Quarter’s website, they are advertising the whole vacant area in phase II as available. To me this means that they really don’t have concrete plans to build anything any time soon. In fact, they don’t have anything about expansion on their site. The last article they posted about expansion was from two years ago. Atrium interest is solely on the Charlotte facilities. We are hearing less and less about their W-S plans since their initial announcement of them taking WFU School of Medicine two years ago. All they wanted was the school. Now they have that, so they are moving on the next big thing.

https://www.innovationquarter.com/development-sites/

Last edited by LynnAikens; Jun 14, 2023 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 12:15 AM

“Atrium interest is solely on the Charlotte facilities. We are hearing less and less about their W-S plans since their initial announcement of them taking WFU School of Medicine two years ago. All they wanted was the school.”

Well, I really, really hate saying I told you so (posted on WSTB Forum).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 2:41 AM
Fourth and Main

You're both in for a real treat! This isn't the only "secret" research center they are working on.

I have confirmed the Neuroscience Research Center is happening. They are about seven-and-a-half months into the search for the director. In other cities, on this forum, neuroscience research centers are often sizable buildings and major anchors for their innovation districts. They are looking for a noteworthy researcher and when they find this person, that person will begin creating the research center and making their own hires. I'm "guessing" it will be officially announced when they find this researcher to become the director, since that person will shape what the Neuroscience Research Center becomes? It may take a year just to find the director and will take time for them to structure the new research center and then work on a new building. With that in mind, a building for this research center is not happening soon, but the process that could lead to a new building is finally in motion and confirms a lot of what I was told a year ago. The same person who told me about the Neuroscience Research Center last year also said it was the proposed use for that building. It will be interesting to see if they move-around the buildings or try to build one massive building with multiple research centers, which I recall an article reporting. I would think they would want this and the Eye Institute in their own separate buildings, but I guess we shall see.

This reminds me of when I broke the news on the downtown medical school. It was very similar. They spoke as if there weren't any plans for that building and no firm date for anything to happen. They said they didn't know what their next project would be. And behind the scenes, they were working on the downtown medical school. By the time it was announced, I had already released much of the information at the old WSTB Forum.

So much happens behind closed doors in Winston-Salem. It does lead to people getting frustrated and just wanting to give-up or assuming whatever project isn't happening, as they look at what appears to be no movement and efforts to hide what is being discussed. According to a high-level person at Atrium Health WFBMC, they are secretly hiring 40+ high-level researchers in Winston-Salem and launching or expanding multiple research centers in Winston-Salem.

Last edited by Matthew; Jun 15, 2023 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
You're both in for a real treat! This isn't the only "secret" research center they are working on.

I have confirmed the Neuroscience Research Center is happening. They are about seven-and-a-half months into the search for the director. In other cities, on this forum, neuroscience research centers are often sizable buildings and major anchors for their innovation districts. They are looking for a noteworthy researcher and when they find this person, that person will begin creating the research center and making their own hires. I'm "guessing" it will be officially announced when they find this researcher to become the director, since that person will shape what the Neuroscience Research Center becomes? It may take a year just to find the director and will take time for them to structure the new research center and then work on a new building. With that in mind, a building for this research center is not happening soon, but the process that could lead to a new building is finally in motion and confirms a lot of what I was told a year ago. The same person who told me about the Neuroscience Research Center last year also said it was the proposed use for that building. It will be interesting to see if they move-around the buildings or try to build one massive building with multiple research centers, which I recall an article reporting. I would think they would want this and the Eye Institute in their own separate buildings, but I guess we shall see.

This reminds me of when I broke the news on the downtown medical school. It was very similar. They spoke as if there weren't any plans for that building and no firm date for anything to happen. They said they didn't know what their next project would be. And behind the scenes, they were working on the downtown medical school. By the time it was announced, I had already released much of the information at the old WSTB Forum.

So much happens behind closed doors in Winston-Salem. It does lead to people getting frustrated and just wanting to give-up or assuming whatever project isn't happening, as they look at what appears to be no movement and efforts to hide what is being discussed. According to a high-level person at Atrium Health WFBMC, they are secretly hiring 40+ high-level researchers in Winston-Salem and launching or expanding multiple research centers in Winston-Salem.
Okay! So that Neuroscience Research Center will be in Charlotte in about four years. Something has to go in those four towers they are building there in Charlotte.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 12:53 PM

Welcome LynnAikens!! We can check another one off the list. Still missing a few more of the old WSTB crew...Hope to hear from them soon.

Would one these new research centers involve Dr. David Carroll's crew at the Nanotechnology center on Deacon Blvd across from the Joel??

https://old.physics.wfu.edu/res-fac.html#nano

I would occasionally bring up the question on the WSTB forum, why there never was any mention of that operation moving downtown. It seems as though that group in the Dept. of Physics was almost more of an afterthought although I recall the news of Dr. Carroll being recruited, from I believe Clemson during the same timeline that Dr. Atala was recruited from Boston. With the expectation that big things would be coming out of his crew's research. This was during the same timeline that UNC-G & NCA&T developed their joint school in that east GSO cow pasture...

Also, there's been radio silence on the Clinical & Translational Science Institute, which was featured widely at the time of the "coupling" of the two medical enterprises (Atrium/WFUBMC) as something that was going to be greatly expanded in the IQ. I would think between all these entities, there should be sufficient funding to to start construction with more than one of these projects sharing the same building.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 4:04 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalo View Post
Welcome LynnAikens!! We can check another one off the list. Still missing a few more of the old WSTB crew...Hope to hear from them soon.

Would one these new research centers involve Dr. David Carroll's crew at the Nanotechnology center on Deacon Blvd across from the Joel??

https://old.physics.wfu.edu/res-fac.html#nano

I would occasionally bring up the question on the WSTB forum, why there never was any mention of that operation moving downtown. It seems as though that group in the Dept. of Physics was almost more of an afterthought although I recall the news of Dr. Carroll being recruited, from I believe Clemson during the same timeline that Dr. Atala was recruited from Boston. With the expectation that big things would be coming out of his crew's research. This was during the same timeline that UNC-G & NCA&T developed their joint school in that east GSO cow pasture...

Also, there's been radio silence on the Clinical & Translational Science Institute, which was featured widely at the time of the "coupling" of the two medical enterprises (Atrium/WFUBMC) as something that was going to be greatly expanded in the IQ. I would think between all these entities, there should be sufficient funding to to start construction with more than one of these projects sharing the same building.
Zalo - I'm glad I found my herd.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnAikens View Post
Zalo - I'm glad I found my herd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations