HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 2:00 PM

There is a giant parking lot behind these buildings, there will be a 30 story building in there soon enough.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
I guess the alternative would be better... an abandoned building crumbing to the ground in the core
Or an empty lot. The negativity on this board is startling, especially considering it's none of our money going into this dev.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 4:42 PM

Really wish they were saving the facades of the other two buildings that are planning to be demolished now. You can still restore and replace the features of an old building. I would have preferred that and a slim 4-8 storey tower in the empty lot that once was Zig Zag Zebra.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 9:49 PM

Stupid facadism. Build this crap on an empty lot and sell the heritage buildings to someone who knows how to deal with a heritage property. Just another scam from these selfish developers. Request to demolish with no guarantee of actually building anything. Premi should be ashamed to have his name on this.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 10:02 PM

Did nobody watch the council meeting where it's clearly explained they're prepared to have this building built within 18 months?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Did nobody watch the council meeting where it's clearly explained they're prepared to have this building built within 18 months?
Yes, saw it on-line. That's pretty amazing.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 6:22 PM
Ham-burgher

While I'm glad to see the frontage of the oldest portion "preserved", I am sad they don't want to even try to do anything with the eastern buildings. The Spec's version of the news notes the ownership rep as stating they have "deteriorated beyond reasonable repair" and quotes "The engineering report says 28 (King St. E.) is very unsafe and 24 King has had its heritage features stripped"... some of that deterioration owing to the neglect of the past 2+ years, perhaps?

I don't mind the 5-storey replacement for 24-28 King E. -- much of King between Wellington and James is a mixture of heights, so it's not out of place (and there is still opportunity for a much taller tower on the other part of the property). I just hope the design is a lot prettier than the initial render, which is very plain.

Love MacKay's cartoon commentary on it:

Source

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 6:29 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Here's a bigger rendering...

source

The taller residential tower was originally proposed for the Main Street side of the property, I wonder if it will still be built as a future phase?
Just noticed the glass on top of the Scotiabank building. I wonder if they're just planning a terrace up there, or something more?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 6:41 PM
It's Hammer Time

Gore redevelopment plans on King presented to city heritage committee

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/65...age-committee/

Proponents of what they've now named the Gore Block Apartments project have given the city's heritage committee a "heads-up" on what to expect from the redevelopment of several rundown, empty buildings across from Gore Park.

The plan is to have the facades of 18 and 22 King St. E. preserved and the rest of the buildings demolished along with the adjacent buildings at 24, 26 and 28 King.

Tim Bullock, lawyer for the development group, told the committee the buildings won't be demolished until a site plan is approved for the new project.

The design is meant to fit in with what is in the downtown, he added.

Bullock said he will be back to the heritage committee once plans are finalized with the city.

Architect David Premi said the narrow and adjoining buildings from 24 to 28 King are either in poor shape with structural damage to the both the buildings and that their preservation would be "extremely difficult and extremely expensive" to preserve.

The plans were generally well received by the heritage committee although some members would have preferred more preservation.

Two weeks ago, the developers presented a "compromise" to city councillors to incorporate some of the buildings' heritage features as part of the development.

In 2013, the project stalled when city council imposed a last-minute heritage designation on 18-28 King St. E. just before they were to be demolished.

The developers are planning a five-storey, 20,000-square-foot building, which will also involve a small adjacent property where a building was torn down in 2011.

Retail units are planned for the first floor with 14 apartments above. The preserved façade is to form half of the new building's front.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 11:36 PM

'Proponents of what they've now named the Gore Block Apartments project have given the city's heritage committee a "heads-up" on what to expect from the redevelopment of several rundown, empty buildings across from Gore Park.'

Was the article changed or are you editorialising?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

City heritage panel smiles on the Gore

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/65...s-on-the-gore/

A plan to redevelop a part of King Street on the south side of Gore Park while keeping building facades of historical value was generally well received by the city's heritage committee.

Proponents of what they've now call the Gore Block Apartments project made a presentation on Thursday to the committee and said they will return with more concrete plans once they are worked out with the city planning department.

Tim Bullock, lawyer for the four owners of Hughson Business Corporation which is developing the site, wanted to give the heritage committee a "heads-up" on what is so far proposed after presenting to a council committee two weeks ago and being advised to let the heritage committee know the plans.

Bullock also gave a brief history of the properties on a block of land between James and Hughson Streets on the south side of King Street facing Gore Park.

The properties — with addresses from 18 to 30 on King — were purchased in 2000. A demolition permit was finally issued in December 2013 and "then there was a kerfuffle" over concerns about losing heritage.

The builders agreed voluntarily not to demolish the buildings, he said, and then negotiated with the city for 18 months before talks fell apart.

Then, "without notice, an intent to designate was passed. Our clients appealed to the heritage review board and that's where it stands," Bullock said.

Now the plan is to construct one building in place of the buildings there now and to preserve the facades of 18 and 22 King St. E. and demolish the rest of the buildings along with the adjacent ones at 24, 26 and 28 King.

Bullock told the committee the buildings won't be demolished until a site plan is approved for the new project.

The design is meant to fit in with what is in the downtown, he added.

Bullock said he will be back to the heritage committee once plans are finalized with the city.

Architect David Premi said the narrow adjoining buildings from 24 to 28 King are in poor shape with structural damage to the both the buildings and that their preservation would be "extremely difficult and extremely expensive" to preserve.

The plans were generally well received by the heritage committee although some members would have preferred more preservation.

Two weeks ago, the developers presented a "compromise" to city councillors to incorporate some of the buildings' heritage features as part of the development.

In 2013, the project stalled when city council imposed a last-minute heritage designation on 18-28 King St. E. just before they were to be demolished.

The developers are planning a five-storey, 20,000-square-foot building, which will also involve a small adjacent property where a building was torn down in 2011.

Retail units are planned for the first floor with 14 apartments — to be registered as condominiums in case developers decide they are more appropriate. The preserved facade is to form half of the new building's front.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

David Blanchard's proposal -> 18-30 King St East | ? | 5 flrs | Proposal

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 5:06 AM
Dustin William

Re-invisioning 18-30 King East

I've always found this space to look very odd. On one end you have a 10 story white box, and the other a 15 story rectagle which has virtually no windows on the inner side leaving a massive void of scale with the short historial buildings that fill the middle. I've always loved the eclectic style of the store fronts but I do think the left-most can be replaced with something that would have better scale for that space.

I feel, this spot on King needs, and can support some more height. Looking eastwards down king, the wall of architecture really looks amazing. I thought continuing with King's upward trend, a 22 story tower would compliment the other towers in the area, but add slightly more height over them, except for Stelco and IBM tower. I feel it's a good spot for a mixed-use office building.

Cladded in glass, with fins along the front and back faces to add character and a greater sense of height. Inspration for this design is influenced by Toronto's new One York Street.

I'm going to call this, The Gore Building.

Purely my own interpretation of what I'd like to see there.

Rendering is my own.

dustinlabs.net

Last edited by the905sDW; Apr 25, 2016 at 5:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 12:41 PM

That's an amazing idea, but it's probably a difference of about 120Million$

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 10:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

City gave them approvals to proceed as according to plans. So we should see construction soon.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the905sDW View Post
I've always found this space to look very odd. On one end you have a 10 story white box, and the other a 15 story rectagle which has virtually no windows on the inner side leaving a massive void of scale with the short historial buildings that fill the middle. I've always loved the eclectic style of the store fronts but I do think the left-most can be replaced with something that would have better scale for that space.

I feel, this spot on King needs, and can support some more height. Looking eastwards down king, the wall of architecture really looks amazing. I thought continuing with King's upward trend, a 22 story tower would compliment the other towers in the area, but add slightly more height over them, except for Stelco and IBM tower. I feel it's a good spot for a mixed-use office building.

Cladded in glass, with fins along the front and back faces to add character and a greater sense of height. Inspration for this design is influenced by Toronto's new One York Street.

I'm going to call this, The Gore Building.

Purely my own interpretation of what I'd like to see there.

Rendering is my own.

89 King St E is called Gore Building.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 8:34 PM

Let me see if I have this right - the city heritage panel that, in 2013, insisted we save the buildings from demolition when the developer's plan was to use only their facades on some new structure to be built two or three years from then, is "all smiles" now that the facades will be saved during demolition and incorporated into the new structure to be built there sometime in the next year.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 10:56 PM
Hammer'd

My thought is that they realized they're pushing on an immobile force at this point and decided to cave while putting a happy PR spin on it, making it look like some kind of heritage victory. I don't agree with it at all but there is no disagreeing with the reality that these buildings are continuing to disintegrate as each year of inactivity passes. If we spend another 5 years talking about this, there's a good chance the buildings will just fall to the ground on their own (the brick facade on the East wall of one of the buildings has already begun doing this).
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Let me see if I have this right - the city heritage panel that, in 2013, insisted we save the buildings from demolition when the developer's plan was to use only their facades on some new structure to be built two or three years from then, is "all smiles" now that the facades will be saved during demolition and incorporated into the new structure to be built there sometime in the next year.
I agree with what you're saying, but I think the difference is there is (seems to be?) an actual plan this time, instead of a nebulous cube like we saw in the initial "rendering."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton