HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 3:33 AM

Hawthorne is definitely a classic portland neighborhood, even with the influx of hipsters and whatnot. I didn't know about the new seasons going in, that should be awesome for the area.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 5:12 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Last edited by westsider; Jun 10, 2008 at 7:39 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 5:18 PM

oh...my apologies...i just feel like hawthorne hasn't kept up with some other areas as far as adding shopping/restaurants...

a little too hippy for my taste. definitely like what's going on over on division though...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:04 AM

Those rent increases sound ridiculous. If I was a small business, I'd move too! There are plenty of neighborhoods in Portland where local businesses are just as appreciated (if not more) and the rents are lower.. I'd guess that the same people that would normally frequent the businesses being priced out are being priced out of their homes.. Good, unpretentious spots have developed east, south and north of Hawthorne some time ago.. That said, Hawthorne will probably always be successful. Just as malls change storefronts, so will Hawthorne... only problem is that Hawthorne will be just like a mall, any mall, in 10 years, if the rent increases continue.. same as the Lloyd Center.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:33 AM

I like the whole Belmont/Hawthorne area. It is a great inner-city neighborhood, though undergoing significant changes with increased density and the continued gentrification.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 6:43 PM

Yeah red, I think you're right on. It is an unfortunate trend in cities when the rents go up. Lincoln Park in Chicago comes to mind, it's pretty much a city version of bridgeport village and that's replicated in myriad places.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 9:07 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Err, how exactly is a busy city street like a mall? Irrespective of the shops that line it, there are huge differences in the physical environment, public rights of way vs private domain, etc.

Calling Hawthorne a mall doesn't make much sense. And neither is 23rd ave, even though it has upscale shopping.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 5:41 PM
Closed account

14 Parcels

From The Burnside Blog (Portland Spaces)...

Kevin Cavenaugh, one of Portland’s more consistently intriguing, bold designer-developers, came back from his year-long Harvard Loeb Fellowship in July (where he studied “urban planning principles, especially the regulatory framework that tends to dampen innovative ideas, and landscape architecture”) and hit the ground running.

A refresher: some of Cavenaugh’s more high-profile guerrilla projects prior to his Cambridge foray, included Box +One at 28th and SE Ankeny, the LEED-certified little infill-parcel-that-could that he turned into lovely live/work plus commercial space while interning with Fletcher Farr Ayotte, followed by the mixed-use Ode to Rose’s, the 5,500-square-foot home of Fife and TENpod at 44 & NE Fremont St., and the cadmium-red Rocket building (a Platinum LEED project) on East Burnside – a come-hither valentine for new development on the inner eastside.

You may also have heard murmurings about his 14 Parcels, an experimental high-density development he’s been planning in the hilly, mashup locale under 405, around Ross Island Way and 99W – Portland Architecture’s Brian Libby wrote about the nascent plan this last spring.

Cavenaugh’s RFP was as intriguingly guerrilla as they come:
1-WAY TICKET to PORTLAND. I am a Loeb Fellow at Harvard’s GSD seeking a few select graduating designers to DESIGN AND BUILD fourteen small parcels with me in downtown Portland, OR. The project will showcase the finest in contemporary urban architecture from the nation’s most promising young designers. Starting this summer, each participant will take full control over his/her development. I will help line up bank financing and construction services, but you ultimately you will need YOUR OWN MONEY to secure a loan. I will mentor you through the design and development process, but you will take on both the risks and rewards associated with your project.. THIS IS NOT A JOB!

On a site in Southwest Portland just south of downtown at the corner of Water Avenue and Arthur Street, an ideal location but with difficult hilly terrain, virtually no parking and limited access, Kevin is envisioning having built 14 different housing units – almost all of them by different designers. The details have changed a little bit over the few times we’ve talked and emailed, but I believe the latest would be to have Kevin design two himself, then divide the remaining 12 units equally between six Harvard Graduate School of Design students and six more established architects.

Let’s set the murmurings aside: the project’s happening. 14 Parcels will feature a cadre of established international designers from Central America, Scandanavia, Brazil, Austria, China and six recent Harvard Design School grads (the first is set to move here in January to begin work on his project). 14 Parcels will have Cavenaugh designing three parcels, with the remaining chunks split between an exceptional array of established and emerging design talents including, Pugh & Scarpa, Andrei Gheorghe+ Samina Azhar, Skylab Architecture, Mark Holmquist, SPBR Architects, Jimi Kallaos, Single Speed Design, Works Partnership Architecture, JDS Architects, Paul McKean, Douglas Wu. Architecture W, and Joachim + Linda Mendoza (with one illustrious space TBD)
Cavenaugh says hardest part has been the nuts and bolts, finding lenders who “get it.” He said the process with the City was smooth – because Development Services and the other bureaus, totally got it, regarding it as “a complicated courtyard development, a dirt condo or apartment build-out in 17 phases (with 17 sets of different permits).”

Learn more about Cavenaugh’s inspired (and hopefully infectious) madness at Pecha Kucha Night Vol V, presented by Project Cityscope, an idea-driven franchise of “Rising Stars” Works Partnership taking place this coming Tuesday, November 18 at The Plant (939 SE Alder Street). The event begins at 20:20 (8:20 PM) and is free, with donations highly encouraged.

You can also see projects, missives from Third Angle’s Ron Blessinger , Heather Hanrahan + Rodger Bridges of Nemo, artist Paige Saez and architect Aaron Whelton among others. The evening’s theme is discretion.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 7:52 PM
Well designed mixed use

No information here; Just a rehash of what was in Spaces a few months ago it seems. Still, I love this project. South Waterfront needs more diversity in its built environment, and this could really be the catalyst. There's a shortage of innovative thinking in the development community, and this project is a breath of fresh air. Hopefully it will turn out better than Rocket, his last project.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 8:15 PM

here's the web site again if anyone wants it:

http://14parcels.com/

not a great location, surrounded by all those freeways, might prove difficult to sell

it's across from these traditionals which aren't selling:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/reb/919543850.html

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 12:08 AM
A before E

for 555,000, I could find much better than that in Portland.

Yeah, I hope this all works out well. Would be cool to see this become the basis for new large infill projects in and around the city.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 12:19 AM
Well designed mixed use

Those "traditional" townhouses are absolutely terrible.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 6:51 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Who's going to pay over half a million dollars for a boring townhouse in THAT location? My jaw dropped when I saw that craigslist ad - and then I looked around through google's streetview, and I realized why I've never walked through there. Bad location plus boring construction does not equal an easy sell. Sheesh. On the other hand, I'll be really curious to see what comes from this 14 Parcels project. Saying that location requires a creative solution is an understatement... but I do love seeing creative solutions, so I wish them luck!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 7:04 AM
Ah-choo.

I hope whatever they do spreads as well. That whole area just depresses me. The freeway effectively kills that whole section of hillside near the river which is just sad.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowat View Post
here's the web site again if anyone wants it:

http://14parcels.com/

not a great location, surrounded by all those freeways, might prove difficult to sell
Difficult to sell?!? You Think?!

With conceptual drawings like this one of a proposed dwelling, I'd be amazed if they got anyone to even talk to them, let alone put a half million down for a home!

http://14parcels.com/3/parcel_3.jpg

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAlweg View Post
With conceptual drawings like this one of a proposed dwelling, I'd be amazed if they got anyone to even talk to them, let alone put a half million down for a home!

http://14parcels.com
I agree. They'd have to be inexpensive or very reasonably priced houses for this location. Interestingly they updated this web site over just the last day or so, certainly since I added the link. I think they've added more designers to essentially 'fill' all the parcels, though the drawings (if any), are still pretty sketchy.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:55 PM

gated community for black turtlenecks.

and a transparent publicity gimmick at that.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 2:20 AM

Wong Family LLC and Holst's Sunrose 11/21/08

http://sunrosecondominiums.com/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 12:06 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ yeah they are building the balcony cubes now.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 11:03 PM
A before E

Though the idea and theory behind the cubes is dumb, but overall, this building should make a good addition to the neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland