HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 7:53 PM

Neighborhood associations

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 6:51 AM
inside + out

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgepdx View Post
I would be wary of the burbs too ... A friend of mine was looking at Pearl lofts around '00 but decided to buy a place in the burbs for more sq ft. for the $. Anyway long story short after a few years he got sick of $300/Mo. in gasoline and no nightlife and decided to move into town. He ended up loosing money on the place because they were building identical tracts just down the street as fast as they can. So in many ways the risk your seeing in downtown with overbuilding is just the same out in the burbs. The other thing to think about is, this will be your home not just an investment, even if it looses a bit of value, will you be happy living there, especially if you have to stay awhile because it went down in value?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Thanks edge...those are certainly some valid considerations. Finding the right place hasn't turned out to be the quick and easy process it appeared to be on HGTV I was also surprised that the pre-loan was actually the easy part...
I agree Edgepdx, and Mark . . . excellent points. Of course on HGTV I think (like most TV) it's staged quite a bit. One thing they don't tell you is when they show only three places and then pick from those three, whether they actually looked at 50 places and just showed the TOP three. Who'd sit through a program with a huge number, right? Although, I think it would be more realistic. Well, maybe not 50, but 20 wouldn't be too many. In my experience, anyway.

Edge's point about living where you'd like to live is THE most important thing IMO. Plus, if you like living there chances are others who may buy it in the future will like it too. THAT'S the advice I'd give anyone looking to buy. If there's something about a neighborhood or home you don't like that may be an issue when you go to sell. Of course lots of people have been successful in going into edgy areas (no pun intended Edgepdx), and then have waited for the area to come up. Personally I want to feel comfortable where I am, and feel that will be a selling point later on.

I've lived (mostly rented) in many different parts of Portland. But I've ended up gravitating to where I don't need to commute so much, and where I like being where I am when I'm home. You can get the nice feel in the burbs (nice house, small yard, new construction, etc.) if you don't mind the 40 minute drive each way to work (or a 40 minute MAX ride each way), but in the end you always have that drive/ride. And, just as Edge points out as more and more building goes on it's pretty hard to compete on the resale market with brand new.

Depending on where you're looking, sometimes just going to open houses can take some of the pressure off working with a buyer's agent, who may get impatient after awhile. Plus, it's a great way to scope out things you like or don't like and narrow down a list for working with an agent.

When I found my first place, after much looking, I knew it was the right place -- because of all the looking. It might feel kind of like a part-time job for awhile, though.

Last edited by robbobpdx; Mar 9, 2007 at 7:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 2:49 PM

I just can't figure out what the neighborhood had against the initial proposal. Other than the buildings right on Broadway, everything appeared set back. And the new design is right on Broadway anyway.

The new design looks boring...other than the round tower. Let's hope it turns out better than that monstrosity of a condo building further west on Broadway.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 3:58 PM

Thanks robbobpdx...I have a friend at work looking for condos around the same price range as me so we've gone out together on two different Saturdays. Our fear is that we will both fall in love with the same place and start a bidding war between the two of us...ha...no, I have been realizing that just moving for an investment is a poor idea, but I've found some great neighborhoods and actually some great places for about the right place. I might have more info soon...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsimon View Post
I just can't figure out what the neighborhood had against the initial proposal.
Quote:
The City Council approved a zone change from industrial to residential and commercial but set a limit of 319 housing units in view of neighborhood concerns about traffic and density. Without that limit, city zoning and building rules might have allowed roughly 500 units.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 10:44 PM
No longer PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchE View Post
The City Council approved a zone change from industrial to residential and commercial but set a limit of 319 housing units in view of neighborhood concerns about traffic and density. Without that limit, city zoning and building rules might have allowed roughly 500 units.
This project is sandwiched between I84, NE Broadway and Fred Meyer. So how is the neighborhood involved at all? Are they afraid everyone's going to be driving into the back streets of Grant Park and NE Knott? My guess is everyone will just get on Broadway and the I84 if they need to go somewhere, both of which can handle 500 more residents. NIMBY's strike again.

Oh, and the new design is boooring.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 11:03 PM

(tangentially related)

BUT... I found (along with this other thing) images for a "sullivan's gulch gateway"

Could someone wiser than I fill me in?

Link:
http://www.colabarchitecture.com/urb...lchGateway.htm

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 3:22 PM

^ Is this something that the PDC is looking into related to the convention center hotel?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 4:42 PM

I have NO idea... I hadn't even heard of this project until stumbling upon it on Colab's website.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 5:30 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Hmm, Gateway project... wouldn't that be a part of the Burnside Bridgehead then, since that's where Sullivan's Gulch starts???

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 6:02 AM

look at the street names in the rendering. it straddles mlk and grand directly south of lloyd boulevard. it extends west of mlk about a block. directly north of the freeway and, consequently, the gulch.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:47 PM
Criss Crosser of Country

Portland Infill | Northeast Portland

There was a nice article about the Hollywood District in last Thursday's Seattle Times:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rtland221.html

Portland's historic Hollywood District is starring in its own revival

By Tyrone Beason
Seattle Times staff reporter

Back in the 1930s, you could gaze eastward from downtown Portland and spot the huge, flickering sign at the opulent Hollywood Theatre all the way out on Northeast Sandy Boulevard.

Not only did the H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D sign become a flashy beacon on the city's east side, the vaudeville theater and movie house became the namesake of the surrounding district.

The word still conjures images of glitz and glamour, mainly because of its association with that more-famous movie capital of the same name.

But Portland's Hollywood also shares the other Hollywood's familiar story line of prosperity, decline and, now, renewal.

Today, there are plenty of reasons to visit this strip of Northeast Sandy Boulevard, which is to Portland what Highway 99 is to Seattle, a catch-all thoroughfare where mid-century architecture, cheap ethnic restaurants, bright signs and an eclectic residential base make for a head-turning road trip through Americana.

Mixed in with the cool dive bars, inexpensive Chinese and Vietnamese eateries and, bizarrely, a 1960s-era German restaurant/beer hall, there's a cozy new wine lounge, a French bakery, a vintage furniture store and one other sure sign that Hollywood is again a destination spot.

"This neighborhood now has not one but two sushi restaurants," Ellen Bergstone Beer said during a walk through the corridors of the Hollywood Theatre, which she and her husband Richard Beer now run as a nonprofit cinema and haven for the city's filmmaking community.

Next door to the theater at Sandy and 41st Avenue, she adds, a historic brick building is becoming a restaurant and will soon offer a reincarnation of the Yaw's hamburger, the specialty of a defunct drive-in that was constantly packed with Sandy Boulevard cruisers in the 1950s and '60s.

"This is the kind of thing that if you suggested it 10 years ago, people would have said, 'Oh yeah, right,' " Bergstone Beer said. It was around that time, 1997, that the group Film Action Oregon took over the cinema and kick-started the strip's revival.

"Do you want me to tell him about the hookers?" Richard offered jokingly as Ellen talked about all the changes in the neighborhood.

She had already covered that ground. Hollywood, where children's book author Beverly Cleary lived as a kid and later set some of her stories, had fallen on hard times. Even the theater, where Buster Keaton filmed "The General" in 1926, was down and out.

"When we took it over, you could pay a buck fifty for two second-run films," Bergstone Beer said as she strolled through the once stunningly ornamented, now faded cinema. "I mean, that's really bottom of the barrel. It also had a lot of deferred maintenance."

The theater recently received a $30,000 grant from American Express and the National Trust for Historic Preservation to repair the huge sign out front, which was barely working 10 years ago. Now the chaser lights that wrap around the letters that spell out Hollywood twinkle again.

"It's like the community got a piece of its identity back," Bergstone Beer said.

Mixing old and new

On a wall in the theater's office, a sign reads, "The Hollywood District. We're more than a Max stop!" And while the scruffiness of the old days remains, that sentiment is increasingly true.

"Now we actually have a nightlife that's legal," Richard Beer quipped.

A year and a half ago, Hollywood Wine & Espresso opened across the street from the theater, offering retail wine sales, afternoon tastings and a few tables to enjoy the shop's wide selection. Next door, Shag Midcentury Furniture sells the type of groovy couches, chairs, lamps and tables that were popular when Hollywood was the place to take the family on a weekend drive around town, and when Sandy Boulevard was cruise central.

The meshing of old and new businesses — indeed old and new tastes — is fascinating.

The Rheinlander German Restaurant, a 1960s fantasia of Bavarian kitsch right down to the half-timbered exterior and German-themed wall murals, houses a traditional beer hall where the Warsteiner Dunkel comes dark and smooth and the accordion player comes on the house, and sometimes on the bar.

Pal's Shanty, a tavern that opened in 1937 at Sandy and Northeast 47th Avenue in the district's initial heyday, is still going strong, its orange-neon sign casting a glow on passers-by. Ditto for Sam's Billiards, with its rows of pool tables, dark ambiance and great diner food.

One of the wackiest signs in a neighborhood defined by them is the one just inside the entrance to Blackwell's Grub Steak Grill. It depicts a waitress winking insouciantly as she balances a drink tray on one hand. The text bubble reads: "OK TOOTS, What'll it be?"

Up Sandy along Portland's "Pho Restaurant Row," Thien Hong restaurant serves a steady stream of regulars craving excellent Vietnamese and Chinese food in an unpretentious setting. Some of the newer spots trade in a swankier kind of cool. Take the just-opened Tony Starlight's Supper Club-Lounge, located in a triangular building near 37th and Sandy, where live jazz and a Saturday night "Vegas-style" show by Tony Starlight himself are the main draws. On the lounge's Web site, patrons are cheekily urged to dress to impress: "Don't embarrass yourself. It should be noted there will be a $3 surcharge for men in open-toed shoes and a $1 fee for each item of Patagonia on your person."

Hollywood ending

Breathing new life into a former library branch off the main drag is Fleur de Lis Bakery and Café, owned by baker extraordinaire Greg Mistell, who founded Pearl Bakery in the downtown district of the same name that is years into its own boom.

Mistell and his heavenly pastries — including buttery, fruit-filled specialties from Eastern Europe — have turned the café into a hub of daytime activity where customers can sit at long tables, a set of couches or on a large patio in nice weather.

Like the resurgent neighborhood itself, Mistell said this latest venture is his way of starting over after a nasty divorce in which he lost his more well-known downtown business several years ago.

But Hollywood is also the neighborhood Mistell and his current wife, Lisa O'Leary-Mistell, call home, which is the case with many of the area's small-business people.

"The Hollywood district I've always been excited about because it's at the center of so many different neighborhoods," said Mistell, who also serves on the board of the district's farmers market. "I figure we know 75 percent of the people who come in. See that guy in the corner? He got his learner's permit today."

Two other high-school students walk in, and Mistell says one is a chess champion.

"That guy that just walked in," he continues, looking toward the door, "that's Dr. Bob. He's learning Spanish."

Clearly humbled by the past few years, Mistell nevertheless seems at peace in the new digs and pleased about the area's revival.

"This is such a mom-and-pop kind of place," he says about the homey atmosphere at Fleur de Lis. "I think places like this are becoming more obsolete."

Maybe. Fortunately for both Mistell and Hollywood, though, comebacks are still possible.

Tyrone Beason: 206-464-2251 or tbeason@seattletimes.com

If you go

the district

Hollywood lies on either side of Northeast Sandy Boulevard, roughly between Northeast 37th Avenue and Northeast 60th Avenue. The side streets to the north of Sandy, around 41st, are dotted with shops, bars and eateries, and one- or two-hour street parking is available. From downtown Portland, cross the Willamette River on the Burnside Bridge and head east. At 12th Avenue, merge left onto Sandy Boulevard and drive about 2 miles to reach Hollywood.

Restaurants

• Fleur de Lis Bakery and Café, 3930 N.E. Hancock St., 503-459-4887, open Tuesday-Friday 7 a.m. -6 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m.-3 p.m.

• J Spot Café, 4502 N.E. Sandy Blvd., 503-860-5775, breakfast and lunch.

• Hollywood Wine & Espresso, 4075 N.E. Sandy Blvd., 503-459-4081, small plates served at lunch and dinner.

• Sam's Billiards, 1845 N.E. 41st Ave., 503-282-8266, pool, food and drinks.

• Rheinlander German Restaurant and Gustav's Bier Stube, 5035 N.E. Sandy Blvd., 503-288-5503, dining rooms on one side, pub on the other.

• Chameleon Restaurant & Bar, fine dining, 2000 N.E. 40th Ave., 503-460-2682, www.chameleonpdx .com.

• Hama Sushi, 4232 N.E. Sandy Blvd., 503-249-1021.

• Pal's Shanty, 4630 N.E. Sandy Blvd., 503-288-9732, historic tavern.

• Tony Starlight's Supperclub-Lounge, 3728 N.E. Sandy Blvd., 503-517-8584, www.tonystar light.com.

• Thien Hong, 6749 N.E. Sandy Blvd., Vietnamese and Chinese food just up from Hollywood along "Pho Restaurant Row."

Reece Marshburn, the house pianist at Tony Starlight's Supperclub-Lounge, plays some Scott Joplin.

A sculpture of a pair of glasses adds humor outside a vision business.

Is it day or night? One can't always tell at Sam's Billiards.

As Portland's Hollywood District is revitalized, Adam Vando works on the sidewalk across from the historic Hollywood Theatre. Above: A plaque explains the history of the theater, the district's most famous landmark.

Gustav's represents the German side of a diverse restaurant selection.

Bob and Marie Behnke have a little wine with their lunch while surrounded by a lot of wine at Hollywood Wine & Espresso.

Photo credits: Ken Lambert / The Seattle Times

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:58 PM

Thanks for posting this asher.

It's my old stomping ground, and still one of my favorite neighborhoods in Portland!

I agree this area is so ripe for redevelopment, I just hope it doesn't lose its feel in the process.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 7:05 PM

I'm suprised this wasn't in a local paper. I've learned more about the Hollywood (though I had lived there about a year) from this article than anything I've seen recently in local print.

The population base is there, the infrastructure is there, this area is going to Hawthorne on us soon, and I think the layout allows for a larger and more interesting town center than that of Hawhtorne.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 11:25 PM

it didn't mention the Ambassador Lounge 4744 NE Sandy Blvd for kareoke and chinese, the Wet Spot 4310 NE Hancock St - Portland's largest freshwater aquarium shop and the Eileen Hagan Accordion Center 4331 NE Tillamook St.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 5:04 AM
Criss Crosser of Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I'm suprised this wasn't in a local paper. I've learned more about the Hollywood (though I had lived there about a year) from this article than anything I've seen recently in local print.
I'm not too surprised. I think Hollywood is off a lot of people's radars; that whole missing what's in your own backyard thing. It's such a great neighborhood--and everyone agrees when you remind them of it--but when it comes to going out, shopping, or finding a place to live, a lot of people just don't think of it right away.

Fortunately, that's starting to change.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:53 PM

My comic shop is in Hollywood and I used to live on 43rd and Knott.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:43 PM

I love Hollywood (and am perhaps a bit biased as it is where I live)!

As far as places they missed: I am also surprised that they didn't mention the Laurelwood Pub.

Regarding the Wet Spot: What an awesome place! After living in Hollywood for 4 years or so, we finally went in there the other day for the first time. You could easily spend an hour there and not see everything.

Last edited by sirsimon; Mar 28, 2007 at 3:45 PM. Reason: for clarity

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:42 PM
No longer PDX

Hollywood is great and it's great to see it's coming along. I used to live up the hill in Wilshire and would often go to the Moon and Six Pence. Scotch Eggs are delicious until you get one lodged in your aorta.

Hopefully something nice will be built on that lot next to the Hollywood Theater. The buildings there burned many years ago and it's just been sitting. Also, they really need to fix the interchange of Broadway and Sandy. There's no reason to route you around like that.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 8:04 PM

Thumbs up Artists' colony being built in Northeast Portland

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn..._built_in.html

Posted by Ed Hershey April 25, 2007 12:40PM
Categories: Breaking News, Portland
An artists' colony is taking shape at a former assisted-living complex in Northeast Portland's Montavilla neighborhood.

Construction is under way at the old Baptist Manor at 81st Avenue and Oregon Street. The 1915 buildings and a 1959 addition are expected to yield 54 condominiums, priced at $95,000 and up, plus as many as 85 rental units.

Some of the rentals will share baths and kitchens, and rents will be as low as $250. Completion is scheduled for the end of 2008.

The idea is to create a live/work space for artists while avoiding the typical pattern of artists transforming a run-down area only to be forced out by the resulting gentrification and skyrocketing rents.

"Our goal is to attract and serve a new creative class by building in living space and having space that is not immediately priced out of the market," says Bill Neburka of Works Partnership Architecture, who is collaborating with Brad Malsin of Beam Development on the project conceived by City Commissioner Sam Adams. "Affordability is a big consideration. We want to serve everybody's need, not make a lot of money."

Communal resources under consideration include kilns for potters and glass makers, wood and metal shops, an exhibition gallery, a performance and meeting center, a restaurant and a business center.

The complex doesn't have a name yet, and organizers are still working on how to define who qualifies as an artist. Interested artists can call Deborah Johnson, 503-331-1752, ext. 100, at HOST Development, one of the nonprofit housing agencies involved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland