HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 4:32 PM

Your City's Special Units

I think it's real cool when I visit Toronto and happen onto their Police's mounted horse units doing patrol downtown. Ditto for NYC when we visited.I may be wrong, but I also got the impression that NYC has some constables in Times Square that are purely doing pr work, and are there for tourists to have their pictures taken with..Aside from the federal stuff, Ottawa maybe has a cycle patrol..Police units that patrol the market and downtown on their mountain bikes, but that's about it.

Aside from the obvious canine, Swat, and gang and drug units, does your city have any unique police units or other unique teams that may or not be found in other cities? It doesn't have to be limited to police forces either.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 5:27 PM
Dryer lint inspector

NYS troopers are present in NYC in a limited capacity so you might have seen them out an about. They wear different uniforms than NYPD, wide brimmed hats for example.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 5:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

CPD has a mounted unit.

I just assumed that most big city PD's do.

Is that not the case?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
CPD has a mounted unit.

I just assumed that most big city PD's do.

Is that not the case?
Yes..I'm sure it's perfectly normal, but coming from a smaller city it's still cool to see. There may be other type units?

I guess Ottawa, has the NCC (National Capital Commission) which takes care of the federally owned greenbelt, and they have their own patrol units throughout the park and pathway network..My fault, but one time I got a ticket from them for having my dog off leash for a few minutes on a quiet night. They have their own uniforms...Kinda like inner city park rangers.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 7:32 PM

Montreal has an operational-fictional unit that focusses on preventing homicides through spraying. They interact with individuals and determine whether to lower the potential of incidental murderous signs these subjects might display. The spray is a mix of scents: good ole patchouli, hazy IPA (Normanville), and Febreeze. It has had good results in my mind.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Aside from the obvious canine, Swat, and gang and drug units, does your city have any unique police units or other unique teams that may or not be found in other cities? It doesn't have to be limited to police forces either.
San Diego PD enforces boating rules and laws in Mission Bay. I hear them all the time pulling over boats, flashing lights and sirens, usually for jet skies going too fast in Sail Bay.

San Diego Bay is patrolled by Harbor Police and they have their own boats.

Mounted police

Air support unit. I hear this at least a couple times a week circling overhead. Less often during the winter though.

Beach patrol, I always see them on quads, usually in pairs, almost always during the peak weekends and summer months. Not much right now.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 9:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I think it's real cool when I visit Toronto and happen onto their Police's mounted horse units doing patrol downtown. Ditto for NYC when we visited.I may be wrong, but I also got the impression that NYC has some constables in Times Square that are purely doing pr work, and are there for tourists to have their pictures taken with..Aside from the federal stuff, Ottawa maybe has a cycle patrol..Police units that patrol the market and downtown on their mountain bikes, but that's about it.

I'd love to say that Ottawa has cops that patrol the Rideau Canal on ice skates in the winter. But they don't.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 4:17 AM

Miami has bicycle cops...in the airport terminals. Riding around on bikes.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 4:42 AM
Future God

Seems like most cities would have similar units.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 4:56 AM

New Castle County Police have mounted police, that are actually out and about quite often, mainly at county parks. I used to see them once or twice a summer as a kid because the horses stabled in a park on the edge of the neighborhood between Wilmington and Newark that I grew up in.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 6:17 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Miami has bicycle cops...in the airport terminals. Riding around on bikes.
And vice cops who drive Ferrari's.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 8:08 AM

I haven’t seen a motorcycle cop in socal since forever. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the bay area. Do they still exist in California?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
And vice cops who drive Ferrari's.
And a LOT of marine cops. As someone said to me, “on the water is where the crime is.”
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 2:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
I haven’t seen a motorcycle cop in socal since forever. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the bay area. Do they still exist in California?
Yes they exist and they're the ones you need to worry about in terms of tickets.

I got a ticket from a motorcycle cop in April for making a right turn on red at an intersection that had a No Right on Red between 6am - 9am sign posted. I can't remember the exact price, but it was $250-$300. I could have fought it if I wanted to waste a day at court, but I decided to pay it in full online.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 3:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NYC has a full blown army pretty much.

They do have 1000's of ticket mosquitos. The one's that give you those Orange envelopes for everything related to parking. And they come out of nowhere. You could park in a far flung section of Queens, and your like, there's no one here.... no one at all... WRONG... they are there, and they will give you a ticket within 2 minutes of leaving your car.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 3:47 PM
The City

I think it would be cool to see police on skateboards

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
NYS troopers are present in NYC in a limited capacity so you might have seen them out an about. They wear different uniforms than NYPD, wide brimmed hats for example.
The place that I regularly see NYS troopers in NYC is at the foot of the Marine Parkway Bridge between Brooklyn and the Rockaway peninsula in Queens. For whatever reason, they appear to have jurisdiction over the bridge for traffic enforcement. I almost never see NYPD around there.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 5:09 PM
你的媽媽

EV patrol cars are starting to become more common.

Quote:
Earlier this year, the Westport Police Department in Connecticut shared some interesting conclusions after buying a Tesla Model 3 in December 2019. They found the EV to be not only cheaper to buy than the Ford Explorer SUV they typically use but also more affordable to modify, maintain, and run, leading to savings of about $6,000 a year.

Now, new data is coming in from the UK, where several Tesla Model 3s custom built by Tesla UK as patrol cars have completed nine months of initial trials with the police. Max Toozs-Hobson, account manager and emergency services lead at Tesla, shared the findings on LinkedIn and said the Model 3 police cars have been “getting some great results.”
https://insideevs.com/news/553120/te...ecar-findings/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 5:40 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

the cops in times square on horseback are not just doing pr work, they are for real too.

its an easy way to watch over the the head of the crowds and get around fast if need be, just like any mounted patrol.

now the times square subway cops on segways ...? i suppose its the same, to see over heads to see down the way better and to get around quick ??

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 5:48 PM

Around 10 years ago there were a lot of nightclubs on W 21st St between 5th and 6th Aves in Manhattan. Things would often get a little rowdy around 4am when the clubs closed, and the NYPD's mounted unit would regularly be sent through to clear the area. Other than Times Square, that's the only area of the city I've consistently seen the mounted unit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions