HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 2:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
Man there are a lot of Aqua-influenced designs out there these days. I guess thats a good sign you did something right.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 12:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Bovernier Primary School Extension / Bonnard Woeffray Architectes
Architects: Bonnard Woeffray Architectes
Collaborator: Nuno Ferreira
Client: Commune de Bovernier
Project Area: 1,630 sqm
Project Year: 2008-2010
Photographs: Hannes Henz

http://www.archdaily.com/87476/bover...y-architectes/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 1:52 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Man there are a lot of Aqua-influenced designs out there these days. I guess thats a good sign you did something right.
just because it's white and has buldges sticking out doesn't mean it's aqua-influenced. heck, i'd be embarrassed to compare that thing to aqua. i mean seriously? someone actually came up with that?

i like that first image of the school, but i find the building and staircase to be too sterile. that other school posted some pages back, that was an awesome design.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
The outside is far better. The inside isn't so great. Blank concrete surfaces might be appropriate in an institutional building for adults, but a primary school? The spacing and character of those doors look like cell blocks. The classrooms are okay.....but still feel chilly. I do appreciate the way they've brought in alot of daylight into this heavy structure.

This image is very cool and extremely creepy at the same time. There's no chance I'll ever use it for any school case studies But it's still a very cool space regardless

citation above

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 7:33 AM

http://vimeo.com/12552097

A horrible choice of song, but a cool video that will make you jelaous.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 3:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
just because it's white and has buldges sticking out doesn't mean it's aqua-influenced. heck, i'd be embarrassed to compare that thing to aqua. i mean seriously? someone actually came up with that?

i like that first image of the school, but i find the building and staircase to be too sterile. that other school posted some pages back, that was an awesome design.
I think that building is ass ugly, but its very clearly influenced by Aqua. Hell, the building technique that allows such horizontal, cantilevered, topography was invented specifically for the construction of Aqua and is already being used on several other buildings. I would suspect the the Aqua formwork will be used here as well.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 5:27 PM

^Just because it has the design elements you're referring to doesn't mean it was at all or even remotely influenced by by Aqua. . . there are many many buildings out there that have been designed before and since Aqua that maintain those same qualities. . . Aqua is not at all a unique building other than it has 83 floors and wavy balconies. . . nor are the engineering techniques used to design it. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 6:19 PM
BANNED

^^^ No the engineering and formwork techniques for the balconies (note I'm not stupid, obviously the building is at its core just another square concrete tower) were actually developed just for Aqua and did not exist before. I believe they actually won an award for the formwork system they used to build the balconies. This system is the reason Aqua is so visually dynamic, yet able to maintain a low construction cost. Since the system of pliable, adjustable edgeforms and extremely precise GPS worked so well on Aqua, it has been applied to several other projects with non-linear forms. I would imagine they will use it for the building in questions as well.

PS engineering is not just about pushing extremes and making crazy ass shapes and arches and cantilevers, most progress in engineering is made by making things more cost effective and figuring out ingenious ways to do things that were previously cost prohibitive. That is how Aqua influences these buildings. Yeah we could always make crazy round shapes in concrete, but Aqua showed us how to do it for next to no additional cost.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 1:58 AM
BANNED

madness

Quote:
The Taiwan Tower is a proposal by Vienna-based architect Steven Ma in Collaboration with San Liu, Xinyu Wan, and Emre Icdem. This highly innovative project consists of a set of super slim twin towers that reach a height of 350 meters where an observatory and sky-park is located. The plinth of the towers is formed by an intricate set of museums that will exhibit Taiwan’s past, present, and future. Each of the three museums configures itself around recreational areas that include a water plaza, an outdoor theatre, a green house, and an event plaza. Another interesting feature is the location of four different types of hanging gardens along the towers’ structure with high-end residences and an aviary for endangered bird species. Among the sustainable features, the Taiwan Tower is equipped with water recycling plants, wind turbines, and a beautiful set of photovoltaic cells placed along the sky-garden and on top of the museums’ undulating surfaces.

http://www.evolo.us/architecture/the...-21st-century/

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 2:37 AM

^

I like the details, but the over all form is clunky.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Award Entry
HKS present their nail-biting design for a new hotel at the Grand Canyon

Responding to a call by the John Hardy Group and the Hospitality Design Group, for Radical Innovation in Hospitality, Cliff_hanger Hotel is the ultimate hotel experience based on the concept of suspension in space and immersion in environment. With its modular design, the experience can be recreated in many locations across the world. Such locations could include the Golden Gate Bridge, California’s redwood forests and an ice fissure in the Andes.

Article and photos from http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=15090

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ No the engineering and formwork techniques for the balconies (note I'm not stupid, obviously the building is at its core just another square concrete tower) were actually developed just for Aqua and did not exist before. I believe they actually won an award for the formwork system they used to build the balconies. This system is the reason Aqua is so visually dynamic, yet able to maintain a low construction cost. Since the system of pliable, adjustable edgeforms and extremely precise GPS worked so well on Aqua, it has been applied to several other projects with non-linear forms. I would imagine they will use it for the building in questions as well.
You were referring to the design elements thereby implying that any funny shaped building with wavy balconies is paying some homage to Aqua. . . of which I disagree. . . and the adjustable edgeform technique sure allowed them to build it faster sure, but I don't think it's anything revolutionary. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 11:14 PM
BANNED

^ that hanging thing looks crazy. maybe it could work somewhere else but I think it would ruin the grand canyon for me.

http://www.evolo.us/architecture/sky...ogram-spheres/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 4:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Marina + Beach Towers / Oppenheim Architecture + Design
Architects: Oppenheim Architecture + Design
Credits: Chad Oppenheim, Kevin Heidorn, Kevin McMorris, Sebastian Velez, Carl Römer, Santhosh Shanmugam, Juan Lopez, Robert Moehring, Manuel Morales, Constanza Collarte, Jose Ortez, Fitz Murphy, Carolina Jaimes, Jessica Santaniello Barrera, Josh Sacks, and Gianpaolo Pietri
Consultants: AREX Consultants
Landscape Architect: Green Concepts
Acoustical: Cerami Associates
MEP/FP: X-nth, Ian Banham & Associates
Structural Engineering: Ysrael A. Seinuk (YAS)
Wind Tunnel Test: Rowan Williams Davies & Irwin Inc
Client: NAKHEEL
Project Area: 2,648,850 sqf
Project Year: Estimated completion 2012

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 2:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
1999 K Street / Murphy Jahn
Architects: Murphy Jahn
Lead Designer: Helmut Jahn
Associate Architect: WDG Architecture
Structural Engineer: Tadjer Cohen Edelson
Special Structures: Werner Sobek Ingenieure
MEP: GHT Limited
Client: Vornado / Charles E. Smith
Project Area: 309,000 sqf
Project Year: 2009
Photographer: Rainer Viertlboeck

http://www.archdaily.com/87865/1999-...t-murphy-jahn/

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 5:17 AM

Is that glass+thin marble+backlighting? It looks cool whatever it is.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:36 AM
TL;DR

I'm guessing alabaster.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 2:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Simed Health Care Group / DHV Architects
Architect: DHV Architects
Principal Architect: Roel Brouwers

http://www.archdaily.com/88110/simed...hv-architects/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 3:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
You were referring to the design elements thereby implying that any funny shaped building with wavy balconies is paying some homage to Aqua. . . of which I disagree. . . and the adjustable edgeform technique sure allowed them to build it faster sure, but I don't think it's anything revolutionary. . .

. . .
Uhhh no, if you actually read what I said I said "Aqua influenced other buildings" and then when questioned about it, I said "The building techniques were revolutionary and have been copied many times". I've quoted myself again below so you can actually read what I said instead of just deciding for yourself that I said something I didn't...

Original comment:

Quote:
Response to Aleks:

Quote:
I think that building is ass ugly, but its very clearly influenced by Aqua. Hell, the building technique that allows such horizontal, cantilevered, topography was invented specifically for the construction of Aqua and is already being used on several other buildings. I would suspect the the Aqua formwork will be used here as well.
In neither of these comments do I said anything about "funny shapes" or "wavy balconies" being some sort of revolution in aesthetics. Its quite clear that I've been talking about the techniques that have allowed such horizontal topography to be cost effective...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 4:15 PM
Community Guy

New local public Library here in Edmonton.

(http://www.archdaily.com/wp-content/...hcma-jpl-5.jpg)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture