HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
[My cousin's girlfriend, who's from Japan but lives in Calgary: "Halifax? Oh! That's near PEI!"
I've heard that many times - Anne of Green Gables was the preferred textbook in English classes in Japan, thus a PEI visit becomes a bucket list item for many Japanese people, especially women I've heard.

Great anecdotes, by the way. I'm always interested in the impressions that people from the ROC have of Halifax. I'm a bit biased, as I'm from here, so it's nice to get a slice of what others think.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
He said he was considering moving to Halifax as he is tired of the long commutes (1 hour to travel 20 km) and the hectic pace of life in Toronto.
The commutes have a huge impact on quality of life. If you live at say Bathurst and Sheppard in Toronto, Google Maps says you can take a 48 minute transit trip or drive 35-85 minutes to Union Station. This is only a 15 km trip. There are definitely more convenient locations but they come at a premium. The reality is that in Toronto your reasonable commute radius from home is only going to be a small portion of the metro area. A given household can't easily take advantage of jobs all around the GTA.

Halifax isn't like this as much. You could commute anywhere around the metro area if you wanted. The "gap" in opportunities is not as big as it might look on paper, particularly if you take cost into account. The cheaper suburbs in Toronto or Vancouver are still more expensive than Halifax and they only have good access to 1/3 - 1/4 of their respective metro areas.

The commute time advantage is something Halifax should capitalize on and try hard to preserve. The ultra-low-hanging-fruit of bus improvement is mostly picked at this point but stuff like BRT, ferries, infill, and active transportation still help a lot. This is another inherent advantage. Infrastructure costs a lot more in the bigger cities. Consequently there will be a lot of economic pressure in the future to distribute economic growth among smaller cities.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The ultra-low-hanging-fruit of bus improvement is mostly picked at this point but stuff like BRT, ferries, infill, and active transportation still help a lot. This is another inherent advantage. Infrastructure costs a lot more in the bigger cities. Consequently there will be a lot of economic pressure in the future to distribute economic growth among smaller cities.
There is lots of room for improvement in the bus system. East-west routes in particular are very poor. The convoluted path many routes overall take and the parade of buses queued up on Barrington at rush hour still has not been addressed. The system is still largely focused on the downtown peninsula. Good luck if you need to work in Bayers Lake or Burnside.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:50 PM
hi

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Aerovision is producing a lot of great stuff lately. I believe the drone rules have changed and it is now possible to legally fly in more areas provided you have the right licensing.

At one point there were very restrictive rules in place, e.g. no flying within so many kilometers of an airport, which in practice meant that most urban areas were off limits. So we had lots of drone aerial photography around 2015-2016 then hit a dark period in 2017-2018.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 12:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 5:44 PM

Wow. That side-by-side pic is incredible.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 7:40 PM

Visited Halifax a few years ago when they hosted the U21 National Baseball Finals.
I loved the city! People out everywhere. Waterfront - downtown was great. The surrounding area ( outside Halifax ) reminds me of Kenora - lot's of rocks and trees.
The city "felt bigger" then what I thought it would. Our 1 off day, I rented a car and just toured around. Great neighbourhoods with some neat terrain. To a prairie boy it was a sight to see the Atlantic and all the ships - Big wow factor if your not used to it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
Visited Halifax a few years ago when they hosted the U21 National Baseball Finals.
I loved the city! People out everywhere. Waterfront - downtown was great. The surrounding area ( outside Halifax ) reminds me of Kenora - lot's of rocks and trees.
The city "felt bigger" then what I thought it would. Our 1 off day, I rented a car and just toured around. Great neighbourhoods with some neat terrain. To a prairie boy it was a sight to see the Atlantic and all the ships - Big wow factor if your not used to it.
Glad you enjoyed it! It's actually getting continuing to improve with all the development that's been happening lately. Last couple of times I've spent any appreciable time in the downtown it has been very busy, but not in a hectic way. The restaurants and bars are always hopping, and the waterfront is always busy with people strolling about, having a brew or a bite to eat, and just taking in the atmosphere. Also, when they open Georges Island next year (?), there will be one more place to check out.

Maybe it's time for a return trip!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 7:01 PM

I would luv too. But it took everything I had to get on the plane for the trip out there. Hate - HATE flying. Booze / pills nothing works to settle me. I think I scared a few people...lol

Halifax is a top rung city (Canada) in my book! Be proud!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:22 PM

Sounds like the destination of an extended road trip instead! lol

Thanks for the kind words about our city. I've made it no secret on this forum that I enjoy living here very much!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 11:09 PM

Taken yesterday from Grafton Park:

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:37 PM

https://twitter.com/haligonia/status...68233116196865

Scroll this way ------>

Scroll this way ------>

Images source credit: Vision Air Services
https://www.facebook.com/pg/VisionAirServices/posts/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 5:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A couple more that I don't think got posted here:

Source

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 5:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 1:27 PM

[IMG]NS4 by Public Policy Forum, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 1:28 PM

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 2:54 PM

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 4:16 PM

What a beaut!

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 5:48 PM
Halifax Promoter!

What height restrictions are on the Police Station site? I understand eventually the police station is to be relocated and wondering what could go up in its place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos