HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 8:22 PM

Schiphol Airport - Amsterdam, Netherlands

Amsterdam: Schiphol Airport

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is the main international airport of the Netherlands. It is located 9 kilometres (5.6 miles) southwest of Amsterdam, in the municipality of Haarlemmermeer, North Holland. It is the third-busiest airport in Europe in terms of passenger volume and the busiest in Europe in terms of aircraft movement. The airport is built as a single-terminal concept: one large terminal split into three large departure halls. Schiphol is the hub for KLM and its regional affiliate KLM Cityhopper as well as for Corendon Dutch Airlines, Martinair, Transavia and TUI fly Netherlands. The airport also serves as a base for EasyJet, LEVEL, and Vueling. Schiphol opened on 16 September 1916 as a military airbase. The end of the First World War also saw the beginning of civilian use of Schiphol Airport and the airport eventually lost its military role completely. By 1940, Schiphol had four asphalt runways at 45-degree angles. The airport was captured by the German military that same year and renamed Fliegerhorst Schiphol. The airport was destroyed through bombing but at the end of the war, the airfield was restored quickly. In 1949, it was decided that Schiphol was to become the primary airport of the Netherlands.
(Source of Text)

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 8:23 PM

Pics from a few months ago:

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 8:51 AM
BANNED

Great airport. Not flashy, but one that just works. You don't need a fancy building to have a good airport that is always highly rated. Service, retail, cleanliness, and design is important. Most US airports are falling short. American greyhound terminals need to look at places like Amsterdam for inspiration. No Dubai, Beijing or Abu Dhabi in terms of architecture, but everything is spick and span and working well.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:01 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Yes Schiphol is always a pleasure to fly through, although subjectively I feel like KLM has declined in quality a bit in the last few years so I may not go through there as much.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 8:16 PM

SKKKKKHHHHHIIIPol is easily the best English speaking airport I have ever flown through. It is, however, gigantic. Made O'Hare look like Midway.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:45 AM

I won't go through AMS anymore. Because of this, it's too extremely overcrowded. I didn't want wait to get through the passport control for more than 30 minutes. AVOID AMS!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 11:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I won't go through AMS anymore. Because of this, it's too extremely overcrowded. I didn't want wait to get through the passport control for more than 30 minutes. AVOID AMS!
All the other large European jetports have problems too. Like rude staff in Paris and dirty people hanging around, really mean immigration people in Frankfurt (scowling, reprimanding people, etc), and delays at Heathrow. AMS is not that bad.

Last edited by aquablue; Aug 24, 2019 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 6:52 AM
BANNED

Amsterdam airport is very pleasing. Don't sleep on it, it's a busy airport for a reason. The place works well and is friendlier than the awful attitude you get from Paris airport staff (rude).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation