HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
For starters, are you familiar with the history, the original intent and purpose of the "small lot exemption"?

Not that it matters but how long have you lived in your current residence? Have you met many or even any people who have lived in their homes 15, 20, even 30 years? I have and they're generally wonderful souls. It may be quaint but they are the ones who typically care about their neighborhoods. Who knows how long most millennials will stay before moving to a suburb or other city?

It seems reasonable to me that a neighborhood with an historical designation have some reasonable means of oversight. Hopefully not many but some developers who intend to get in and get out could give two shits what they leave behind.

When you mention 20 NIMBY's are you referring to the spokespersons that represented the hundreds of neighbors and residents that they've heard from?

Perhaps the councilors are just representing their constituents which is presumably what they're elected to do. Erica Meltzer writing for Denverite points out that less than 1% of the city's land area is affected. She also had this sub-headline:

FWIW, I preferred the less restrive original proposal by Council President Albus Brooks but it's history now. I do believe the affordability argument (specific to small lot development) is a red herring argument.

Let the city evolve naturally as time goes along which it will do.
I didn't mean to insinuate that any of the residents or their representatives are bad people in this instance. I just think the city would benefit greatly from getting neighborhoods and city planners on the same page regarding the benefits of the original legislation. It seems that the benefits of these small lot exemptions aren't necessarily explained to residents well, leading to the immediate reaction of lost parking and historic character. I also preferred Albus Brooks's proposal, but it is what it is now - I would have much preferred the existing limitations on parking with additions to restrict combining lots, or limiting the number of units, etc.

I just wish it was better explained all around, how this could prevent the "landscrapers" we're seeing in Uptown/Arapahoe Square by encouraging smaller scale development instead of accumulation of lots and also to encourage an environment where people might realize that with more people vying for less parking, transit is a better idea. The discussion of "we can't have this without better transit" is a fine point, but something tells me we also won't garner the push for better transit in these areas we need unless people feel the pinch of less car focused development.

It was my understanding that the objections by existing residents was the coming fight for on-street parking which I hope is something this city can put in its rear view mirror in the near future (parking being free and on street spots a right for those already living in an area) - if the objection is to historic character, I think that's warranted and we do need more review of the quality of development going into our neighborhoods.

Denver - City by the bay!

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 9:28 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Deloitte to plant flag in Union Station area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business Den
Denver’s largest accounting firm wants in on the action at Union Station.

New York-based Deloitte confirmed Tuesday that it leased 44,000 square feet in 1601 Wewatta, the 300,000-square-foot development by Jordon Perlmutter & Co. and Hines behind Union Station.

In an email to BusinessDen, a Deloitte spokesperson said the firm plans to move into its new offices in July.

. . .

NAVA Real Estate Development, the group behind a Sloan’s Lake development, became the first office tenant at 1601 Wewatta St. last June, taking 2,100 square feet on the building’s eighth floor. Hogan Lovells, the building’s office anchor tenant, has moved into its new digs, as has cybersecurity startup ProtectWise.

Hines announced in March that Westminster-based Agility Recover leased 36,000 square feet in the building. At the time, Hines told the Denver Business Journal that the Agility lease and a lease by an unnamed accounting firm brought the property to 76 percent occupancy.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 12:23 AM
Up Up and Away

Alexan LoHi

Because I'm not driving to Aurora

Last edited by pablosan; May 4, 2017 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 12:27 AM

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:50 AM
Landbarge Captain

Just noticed that they are projecting a giant animated ad on the side of the Hyatt Place on 14th & Glenarm. Which seems like a great use of a huge blank wall, but only at night, when it is the least visible.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:51 AM

Here's something on the renovation of the Halcyon House.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/03...ts-renovation/

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:07 AM

^ Oh btw great pics pablosan-is that shot of that last photo "Because I'm not driving to Aurora" are those cranes wayyy off in the distance to the right the huge Gaylord Hotel project?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 11:02 AM
Up Up and Away

Exactly.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:40 PM

Developer tacks on third South Broadway development; plans apartments

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 11:06 PM

Interesting tidbit in this article about the Avalanche in the Post

"Kroenke confirmed that as part of the potential redevelopment in the Elitch’s/Pepsi Center area, the Avalanche probably will end up with a new practice rink. Kroenke said talks are in the early stages, and said consideration is being given to making it a double practice facility for both the Nuggets and Avalanche … or beyond.

“We’re working on the conversations as we speak,” he said. “Eventually, that’s definitely going to happen. I’m excited about the conversations. I’ve had them on the hockey side, I’ve had them on the basketball side. We’ve had conversations with both the lacrosse and the Rapids as well.”"

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
Here I thought Wood Partners had left the state, never to be seen again. I guess they just couldn't stay away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pregersthehobo View Post
Nice find. In fact, I copied your post and reposted it HERE.

Last edited by TakeFive; May 4, 2017 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 12:36 AM
Up Up and Away

Another interesting read.

Quote:
16th Street Mall: An economic engine
Colorado Real Estate Journal

Downtown Denver and its city center neighborhoods are home to nearly 80,000 residents, a number that has increased by 16,000 since 2010. Denver is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country, and Denver’s center city is expected to add close to 10,000 additional residents by 2022. This residential renaissance, when combined with a rapidly growing workforce of more than 130,000 strong, has encouraged significant retail development, including first-to-market and new-to-downtown options, which is especially visible along the 16th Street Mall.
http://crej.com/news/16th-street-mall-economic-engine/

Last edited by pablosan; May 5, 2017 at 12:49 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Legislature passes construction defects legislation

Today, the Colorado Senate passed HB17-1279, a bipartisan bill that takes a much-needed step to address construction defects legislation and break down barriers to for-sale housing in Colorado, noted the Downtown Denver Partnership in a letter to its membership. The passage of this bill is the final step before the legislation heads to the Governor’s desk for signature as the first substantive piece of state legislation to address construction defects.

http://crej.com/news/legislature-pas...s-legislation/

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pregersthehobo View Post

"Kroenke confirmed that as part of the potential redevelopment in the Elitch’s/Pepsi Center area, the Avalanche probably will end up with a new practice rink. Kroenke said talks are in the early stages, and said consideration is being given to making it a double practice facility for both the Nuggets and Avalanche … or beyond.

“We’re working on the conversations as we speak,” he said. “Eventually, that’s definitely going to happen. I’m excited about the conversations. I’ve had them on the hockey side, I’ve had them on the basketball side. We’ve had conversations with both the lacrosse and the Rapids as well.”"

Will be interesting to see if they build a stand alone practice facility with nothing else, or a larger commercial development that includes as part of the development the practice facilities. Hopefully the latter.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Will be interesting to see if they build a stand alone practice facility with nothing else, or a larger commercial development that includes as part of the development the practice facilities. Hopefully the latter.

I don't know how much practice time the AVS need, but it would be nice if the practice rinks would be open to the public for part of the day. I don't think there is any year-round ice rinks near downtown.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post

Will any of this matter? Nice commentary from Denver law firm Sherman Howard summarizing the bill and speculating on its impact.

http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/con...-defeat-47901/

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 6:15 PM

http://theknow.denverpost.com/2017/0...square/143376/

Not as cool as the orginal rendering but still nice to see this project moving forward. Think it would have been better incorporated into the DPAC reno.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
http://theknow.denverpost.com/2017/0...square/143376/

Not as cool as the orginal rendering but still nice to see this project moving forward. Think it would have been better incorporated into the DPAC reno.
Good lord that looks atrocious..... The first floor doesn't look bad with the front, but the rest of it looks like a prison to me..... bleh.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 9:45 PM

Just so everyone see, this project just went from

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/01...-for-new-home/
to this...

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/01...-for-new-home/
I get that this project is beholden ne how much money can be raised but come on. This looks horrible.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 7:16 PM

OH NO, Is Domo DOOMED

Looks like the walk to DOMO from Auraria is not going to be getting any more inviting. Then again, I have it from a good source that the Japanese staple has been sold and will be torn down. The servers on the other hand are still saying that the owner is refusing to sell.

Here are the layout and elevations of the Wellington Apartments slated for Colfax and Osage. Looks like one continuous parking garage the entire half block length along Osage. I think Domo is just south of this development but what I heard was that it has sold to be torn down and student housing will be built on the south half of this block.

SOURCE

If this is true then it is sad to see Domo go. If student housing is to fill the south half of the block then it seems a little more attention should be given to street presence between there and campus. Then again I have been waiting forever for something to happen on that lot. They have already started moving earth. For soil tests I assume.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West