Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

United Nations Consolidated Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 3:20 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 7:20 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Since the tower would be built behind that tunnel shaft, I think the community wins by putting that park space on the waterfront.

Quote:
city officials presented a new plan at a community board meeting that would create a new ball field, jutting out over the East River around 38th Street, to host the roller hockey leagues and other activities that would be affected by the development.
But its the tower they don't want.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 7:41 PM

All I'm saying (without intentionally instigating conflict) is that if it pertains to the building its open to discussion here. So...if you don't have an opinion don't post it. If no one has an opinion no one will post them and I'll continue quietly observing as I always have. So don't answer me or tell me what you think. No need to butt heads and vicously go after some high school student from Long Island...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 8:46 PM

Okay, fine let's discuss the "politics" as you call it then.

Let me start off this political discussion you want so badly to conduct by first responding to your previous comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutthedog View Post
For me personally it isn't about preserving this park so much as its a matter of giving into the United Nations.
What exactly are you giving into? What outrageous, unjust, heinous demands are they making to the United States or New York?

The current Secretariat building is in very bad shape.

There's asbestos and paint chips that's literally falling on people, the ventilation system is old, outdated, inefficient, inadequate and filled with airborne microorganism that can make a worker there sick.

It is not up to fire codes, meaning if there should be some kind of catastrophic fire, you have a big disaster facing the city.

Many of the workers there are regular New Yorkers that live in Queens, Staten Island, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Long Island, etc.

These worker's livelihood depend on their jobs at the U.N. They contribute income taxes to the city, state, and the Federal government.

The visitors to the UN stay in hotels and use restaurants in the city.

These hotels and restaurants provide even more New Yorkers with jobs and income. I can go on with the economic contributions but you get the idea.

So it's not the U.N. that is getting something from the city and the U.S.

Quite to the contrary, it's the City and the U.S. that is getting the most benefit from having the U.N., not the other way around.

The only thing they are asking for is for the City and State to allow them to build, on vacant land no less.

They are not asking for subsidies or any kind of financial aid. They are paying for the construction themselves.

Don't even get me started on the huge debt the U.S. has towards the U.N. that they haven't paid yet. And this is a wealthy country that should have no problem fulfilling it's financial obligations, unlike many poorer countries who actually pay their bills on time.

So much for the U.N. being unfair to the U.S.

Quote:
I know theres no shortage of parks in the area but why deprive the children their park to give a brand new tower to an organization trying to block our country out of the economic community in the 21st century?
First, look at the photo I posted of that park.

It's got a freaking tunnel ventilation shaft three stories tall right in between those courtyards, not to mention it's surrounded on 3 sides by 1) a highway exit ramp, 2) the six-lane First Ave., 3) an FDR service road/underpass.

On its fourth side it overlooks to the south, a Con Ed power plant that is now closed and is a vacant, debris filled lot that will see a lot of dusty, noisy construction in a year or two.

This is not some serene, idealic park. It's a freaking old asphalt, underused courtyard. I have heard from residents that it's mostly used as a place for area residents to walk their dogs. Yes, it is essentially nothing more than a dumping ground for dog feces and urine.

If you had children (assuming you're not a kid yourself), would you in your right mind send your children to play there to breathe in all that tunnel exhaust and crossing those lanes of traffic, surrounded by dog poop?

Quote:
I'd hate to think of a bunch of European diplomats sitting in their new office tower in our own finacial capitol trying to think of ways to block our country out of a growing global market.
For your information, the UN has representatives from every nation on every continent in the world.

If you even bother looking on a map, you'll see that European countries make up only a small portion of the countries of the world.

There are more African, Asian, Latin American, Caribbean, South Pacific, Middle Eastern countries than there are European countries. So if you're going to complain about "a bunch of Europeans" at least get your facts right first.

Second, each country has an equal voice in many of their matters, so if you think the UN isn't being fair to the U.S., maybe the problem isn't the UN but the U.S. Have you ever given that a thought?

On top of that, the U.S. has extra power by being a part of the Security Council since the very beginning.

So there is absolutely no reason for the U.S. to feel like it's getting treated unfairly because it has more power and influence than most countries, yes even European ones.

Quote:
I'm not agreeing with the community leaders, the Bush administration, or anyone else. This is just me. Any thoughts?
Yeah, have you had enough, or do you want to come back for more? If you do, you better have a better idea of what you're talking about first.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 11:14 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Please, enough - I don't want this thread to attract certain posters I can't stomach. Let's just stick to the building and leave it at that. Liberals can go off to the political forum here, conservatives have plenty of other forums they can freely discuss their views. No more.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 12:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
All I'm saying (without intentionally instigating conflict) is that if it pertains to the building its open to discussion here. So...if you don't have an opinion don't post it. If no one has an opinion no one will post them and I'll continue quietly observing as I always have. So don't answer me or tell me what you think. No need to butt heads and vicously go after some high school student from Long Island...
Then stick to your toys, and leave the discussion to the adults. I think antinimby made enough points.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 2:28 PM
Realistic Optimist

Like I've said before, the UN and its policies should have nothing to do with very local real-estate developments. An asphalt hockey park and geopolitics are pretty far apart IMO. The fact that there is opposition to this is evidence that NIMBYs oppose towers and development for the simple sake of opposition. Sort've like a war protester that can't point to where the war is taking place on a map.

London, Paris and and countless others are staking claims of World's Capital. I think that it is emblematic and flattering that the United States, in particular New York City is regarded as THE World's Capital. We should embrace every (except for some negative) aspect of what that is.

Remember too, that this neighborhood prior to the UN was not the most desirable. Instead of the high-rises of the Corinthian and Trump World, we really could've gotten an expanded power plant and a run-down strip mall complete with under utilized parks. One is demolished (would've made a great refurbished annex meeting hall for the UN IMO) making way for Solow's development, the strip-mall can be found a few more blocks south, it was only recently made upscale, still looks out of place, and the park... Well, the opposition really just wants enclosed asphalt, not schools, libraries, museums, affordable housing, etc. I really do think that the UN should explore more options in Queens though, and the city should encourage it.

“A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.”
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 2:44 PM
Frigidus Maximus

The fact that prior to the UN coming there it wasn't all that desireable a locale to begin with makes it particularly irksome that the NIMBY's (that moved to the place because of the UN to begin with) NOW turn around and demand all sorts of concessions regarding the new UN tower...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 7:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
The fact that prior to the UN coming there it wasn't all that desireable a locale to begin with makes it particularly irksome that the NIMBY's (that moved to the place because of the UN to begin with) NOW turn around and demand all sorts of concessions regarding the new UN tower...
They should be happy with the blood they've spilled at the Con Ed site. But no, they want more....

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:10 AM

I'm not a big fan of the UN being here in NYC. I have no feelings either way as far as the UN as an organization is concerned. I always see in the news though, how these diplomats run up huge parking bills in the millions without paying and clog the streets with there free parking passes. Plus theres always protest going on over there adding to the traffic nightmare. Not to mentioned we are probably the most hated country in the world. So like the user a bit back mentioned. Maybe move it to Europe which is more centrally located in the world. I remember right after 9/11 there was talk of moving the UN to one of the new WTC towers. Imagine how that would go down...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
I'm not a big fan of the UN being here in NYC. I have no feelings either way as far as the UN as an organization is concerned. I always see in the news though, how these diplomats run up huge parking bills in the millions without paying and clog the streets with there free parking passes. Plus theres always protest going on over there adding to the traffic nightmare. Not to mentioned we are probably the most hated country in the world. So like the user a bit back mentioned. Maybe move it to Europe which is more centrally located in the world. I remember right after 9/11 there was talk of moving the UN to one of the new WTC towers. Imagine how that would go down...
Complaining about the UN because of the traffic it produces is ridiculous. Are the couple of hundred diplomatic automobiles the reason it takes an hour to get into the city from Great Neck? Laughable. The fact remains that the UN is the closest thing we have to a place of open dialogue between countries. In spite of its sometimes impotence, it is without a doubt one of the most powerful organizations in the world. New York is blessed to have the UN and the UN is blessed to be in New York. End of story.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 7:16 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Again, This thread is about the proposed tower, NOT about the be or not to be of the UN.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Complaining about the UN because of the traffic it produces is ridiculous. Are the couple of hundred diplomatic automobiles the reason it takes an hour to get into the city from Great Neck? Laughable. The fact remains that the UN is the closest thing we have to a place of open dialogue between countries. In spite of its sometimes impotence, it is without a doubt one of the most powerful organizations in the world. New York is blessed to have the UN and the UN is blessed to be in New York. End of story.
You must be kidding. The UN does nothing to better this city. Plus having it in the U.S. has outlived its purpose. And name one time the UN really has done a positive thing in the world? Can't huh. Didn't do so good in Rwanda, or what was left of Yugoslavia. I spent enough time in the military to know thats its just a big paper tiger. People come, they complain, and nothing gets done. You don't live in the real world if you thing this organization is this almighty (blessed) group you think it is.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Perhaps the moderator's warning should be shown again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Again, This thread is about the proposed tower, NOT about the be or not to be of the UN.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 1:31 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

One things for sure, at 35 stories I'm not really losing sleep over whether or not it goes up. Anyone feel that way?

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GR2NY- View Post
One things for sure, at 35 stories I'm not really losing sleep over whether or not it goes up. Anyone feel that way?
Why would you?

This is a planned 500 ft tower, basically the same height as the original. It would solidify the east riverfront skyline, bridging the gap between the UN and the large Con Ed development site. And it will solidify the UN into one location.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 2:58 AM
low-riding

Well it may be shorter than what we usually get excited for, but its a very visible location right on the river and will be very visible from Queens. And with a sky scraper on each side of 42 it would solidify the canyon, river to river

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 9:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
with a sky scraper on each side of 42 it would solidify the canyon, river to river
Exactly.

And think of the messages they could display with two towers...

un.org

un.org

brama.com

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 11:54 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Would the broad side of the second tower face the river?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 2:48 AM
low-riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Based on this, it would have to. Thats the only way it would fit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals